IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like at my take of the event from a spectators point of view. I'm between a 9-12 index depending.... and play about 100 rounds a year. I've been in person to about 15 PGA events. I have never been the the UK or played a true links course. I live in the SF Bay Area and have played ocean course like Half Moon Bay, Pebble, Torry Pines etc. I love the views, but I like trees and hate playing in the wind. Having said that I've always enjoyed watching some links golf, because it's different and produces some challenging shots and creativity. If I only listened to the Pros and the broadcasts or Sirius PGA radio I'd think the spectators hated it, but that's not what I saw at all in person. I walked 7 miles on Thursday and 9 miles on Friday. I stood by the ropes. I stood behind tee boxes. I sat in grandstands and checked out most of the extra exhibits, merchandise area etc. In two days I never heard a single complaint from anyone. People were cheering. People were laughing. People had big smiles. I typically follow a golfer or groups for a few holes or maybe even an entire 18, but this was different. There were a few holes that made it tough to follow, so we just went from place to place and watched different groups and it was awesome. I especially loved 15, 16 and 17 on the water. 12 was very cool watching eagle attempts, but it was about 500 yards extra walking to get there. Along the way I past the huge all inclusive 1895 club. It had a balcony above 13 that ran about 300 yards packed with people watching talking laughing. I couldn't get in, but they sure looked like they were having a blast. You could see 8, but it was along a viewpoint path and not too many bothered. Most of the inner holes had traditional along the ropes viewpoints, but the trap areas were huge, so you weren't always a few feet away. 7 was awesome in the grandstand and along the path. Many people bought chairs and just hung out. 18 grandstands were epic. What a great view of the fairway and the hole. I went there often. I won't describe every hole, but other than 8 and maybe the 10th green and the 1st fairway there were lot's of amazing places to watch. It was just a big area with routes around some impassable dunes, so following took some planning and fast feet. In most tournaments the weaker players have galleries of a handful of players at best, but at Chambers Bay weaker 3 somesomes would hit in 18 with maybe 6,000 spectators. No one talks about that.... Yeah, if you're Mickleson's wife and aren't there to watch golf, but you only care about one guy it sucked, but as an all around experience it was different and awesome in my opinion. I do think they'll cut some paths through some dunes for next time to make it easier to follow, but when you here loud roars all over the course for great shots and not just great shots by a handful of top golfers it sure didn't seem like people didn't enjoy it. Listening to the pros say "the spectators hated it" was off the mark. Yeah, if the hard core followers of "you" complained it may have seemed that way, but I went for the golf and I saw tons. I'm wasn't there for one golfer. As for the greens. You'll see a picture of the worst possible spot on the worst green and think they all looked like that. In person they didn't look that bad. I'm sure they weren't up to PGA standards and I would hope they fix them for next time, but man did that course deliver some incredible completion with amazing shots and creativity. I would go back and watch again in a heartbeat and it's now on my bucket list. It's sort of like being in Scotland, but better weather, less wind it's cheaper and the food is pretty good in Seattle.

Great post Jack. Thanks for the insight! Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stick around! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great post Jack. Thanks for the insight!

Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stick around!

I'll second that @Jack B :beer:

Get out of he big city and travel towards the east a bit, many great / new links style courses have been built across the western states.

And, you won't need a second mortgage to afford the trip.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Overall, I enjoyed this US Open. Why? There was the usual drama about Mike Davis', new course style, difficult conditions/greens and it came down to a thrilling Sunday finish with great calibre golf being played.

It was nice to see Dustin Johnson carry and kiss his boy right after walking off the 18th hole. You can see a different side to him despite whatever his past was.

Jordan Spieth was a classy champion and it's etched into his DNA. He has that "it" factor and is a fantastic role model for the game of golf not only for expanding the game but setting a professional precedent with how he conducts himself and talks to the media.

Billy Horschel, Sergio, Poulter and whoever else losing their cools or being critical of the greens - who cares? There's always going to be people that speak their mind and as a result will face the backlash of their actions. Some are able to contain themselves and some just can't, whether you want to call it being emotional or outspoken it will always come back to hurt your image with the fans. Social media plays a large part in this too. Just like in any other sport there will be players that speak their mind and those that just let it go and keep carrying on.

As an avid golfer and tour junkie this tournament delivered everything I could ask for and above all satisfied my fix for good golf.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I'll second that @Jack B :beer: Get out of he big city and travel towards the east a bit, many great / new links style courses have been built across the western states. And, you won't need a second mortgage to afford the trip. Club Rat

Club Rat, Thanks. What courses would you recommend. Not saying I'll play them as Links style isn't my favorite, but I'd like to hear about some others. I'll play Chambers Bay, but I imagine it will be tough. It looks awesome though and I'll take my punishment just for the views. I'd also like to see how tough it is in person. I love taking on a challenge once in a while. I played one of my home courses, Blackhawks Falls on Sunday morning before the final round. It plays about 133 slope off the blues. Compared to most courses the greens have many tiers, some bowls and a lot of break. Compared to Chambers Bay they are comically flat and small. I kept thinking there is no way I can miss the green! I had one of my best rounds putting and chipping ever. I think just being there and watching the pros hit those tiny spots gave me some extra control. I may never complain about a tough putt again! :-)

I'd like at my take of the event from a spectators point of view.

I'm between a 9-12 index depending.... and play about 100 rounds a year. I've been in person to about 15 PGA events. I have never been the the UK or played a true links course. I live in the SF Bay Area and have played ocean course like Half Moon Bay, Pebble, Torry Pines etc. I love the views, but I like trees and hate playing in the wind.

Having said that I've always enjoyed watching some links golf, because it's different and produces some challenging shots and creativity.

If I only listened to the Pros and the broadcasts or Sirius PGA radio I'd think the spectators hated it, but that's not what I saw at all in person. I walked 7 miles on Thursday and 9 miles on Friday. I stood by the ropes. I stood behind tee boxes. I sat in grandstands and checked out most of the extra exhibits, merchandise area etc.

In two days I never heard a single complaint from anyone. People were cheering. People were laughing. People had big smiles. I typically follow a golfer or groups for a few holes or maybe even an entire 18, but this was different. There were a few holes that made it tough to follow, so we just went from place to place and watched different groups and it was awesome. I especially loved 15, 16 and 17 on the water. 12 was very cool watching eagle attempts, but it was about 500 yards extra walking to get there. Along the way I past the huge all inclusive 1895 club. It had a balcony above 13 that ran about 300 yards packed with people watching talking laughing. I couldn't get in, but they sure looked like they were having a blast.

You could see 8, but it was along a viewpoint path and not too many bothered. Most of the inner holes had traditional along the ropes viewpoints, but the trap areas were huge, so you weren't always a few feet away. 7 was awesome in the grandstand and along the path. Many people bought chairs and just hung out. 18 grandstands were epic. What a great view of the fairway and the hole. I went there often.

I won't describe every hole, but other than 8 and maybe the 10th green and the 1st fairway there were lot's of amazing places to watch. It was just a big area with routes around some impassable dunes, so following took some planning and fast feet.

In most tournaments the weaker players have galleries of a handful of players at best, but at Chambers Bay weaker 3 somesomes would hit in 18 with maybe 6,000 spectators. No one talks about that.... Yeah, if you're Mickleson's wife and aren't there to watch golf, but you only care about one guy it sucked, but as an all around experience it was different and awesome in my opinion.

I do think they'll cut some paths through some dunes for next time to make it easier to follow, but when you here loud roars all over the course for great shots and not just great shots by a handful of top golfers it sure didn't seem like people didn't enjoy it.

Listening to the pros say "the spectators hated it" was off the mark. Yeah, if the hard core followers of "you" complained it may have seemed that way, but I went for the golf and I saw tons. I'm wasn't there for one golfer.

As for the greens. You'll see a picture of the worst possible spot on the worst green and think they all looked like that. In person they didn't look that bad. I'm sure they weren't up to PGA standards and I would hope they fix them for next time, but man did that course deliver some incredible completion with amazing shots and creativity.

I would go back and watch again in a heartbeat and it's now on my bucket list. It's sort of like being in Scotland, but better weather, less wind it's cheaper and the food is pretty good in Seattle.

I'd echo this...I was there from Friday to Sunday, and saw the entire course and was able to follow things from different spots. I spent time between 2 and 16 and saw both by going back and forth....spent time in the 12th and 9th grandstands and a good deal of time in 18 later Saturday and a good chunk of Sunday. I was watching things on TV throughout the week on TGC and knew it was a big property with lots of elevation changes, but really didn't comprehend it until I saw it in person.

It was not an up close and personal experience in many areas, but I was fine with that. I had good viewing areas and loved spending Father's day there with my 13 year old son. I'd agree with Jack that there will be some tweaks if it comes back, but overall it was a great three days. The last 45 minutes in the 18th grandstand was an incredible experience. I didn't hear complaining at the venue itself.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I can't be the only one wishing they were watching the 18-hole playoff right about now...

Well, I felt bad for DJ but the playoff used for the U.S. OPEN is my least favorite. Aggregate hole playoff as at TPC is the best format in my opinion.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Club Rat, Thanks. What courses would you recommend. Not saying I'll play them as Links style isn't my favorite, but I'd like to hear about some others. I'll play Chambers Bay, but I imagine it will be tough. It looks awesome though and I'll take my punishment just for the views. I'd also like to see how tough it is in person. I love taking on a challenge once in a while. I played one of my home courses, Blackhawks Falls on Sunday morning before the final round. It plays about 133 slope off the blues. Compared to most courses the greens have many tiers, some bowls and a lot of break. Compared to Chambers Bay they are comically flat and small. I kept thinking there is no way I can miss the green! I had one of my best rounds putting and chipping ever. I think just being there and watching the pros hit those tiny spots gave me some extra control. I may never complain about a tough putt again! :-)

Play the home course in dupont while you're out at chambers, it's a great course as well. It was a regional qualifier for the us open too.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

...don't confuse "plenty of charisma" with "walking advertisement with why golf is still considered a white bread sport by many "...

I think I see where you're going there.  And it's so ugly that I don't even want to open Pandora's box by engaging it.

Quote:
...bubba, as much as i dislike his "ugly american" antics, has charisma...

IMO, Bubba is a hypocritical prick and a borderline head case.  I don't see anything whatsoever charismatic about him.

Quote:
...billy ho, while people may not like what he has to say and where he says it, has charisma...

I can't help but like Billy Horschel a little bit because he shows some emotion and isn't an automaton out on the course, but I lost a little respect for him for his whining this week.  Even though I didn't entirely disagree with what he was saying.

Quote:
...jordan, sadly, does not...  i wish he did...

IMO, Jordan conducts himself like a professional and is mature beyond his years.  He's clean cut, very articulate, respectful and well-spoken in his interviews, doesn't drop f-bombs on the course, doesn't chew his caddy out after he muffs a shot, doesn't throw clubs, doesn't snub fans...maybe he's just a little too white bread for you.

Quote:
...even rory has a certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes him interesting...

I don't dislike Rory, but I don't find him particularly charismatic or engaging - at least not any more so than Spieth or the rest of the field.

I never considered Woods to be charismatic, even in his prime.  His antics were (IMO) unprofessional and sophomoric and he acted like a spoiled child.  For some people, I guess all it takes to be 'charismatic' is to yell and throw big fist pumps when you win (but drop f-bombs, pout and act like a prick when you don't).  My definition of 'charismatic' is apparently a little different than that.  I'd much rather not see Spieth (or McIlroy, or Scott, Stewart, Johnson, etc.) emulate his behavior.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Well, I felt bad for DJ but the playoff used for the U.S. OPEN is my least favorite. Aggregate hole playoff as at TPC is the best format in my opinion.

Agreed ... But they also use that format at the British and the PGA. It should be the case for all 4 (5 ;)) majors. The "correct" ending yesterday was for DJ to make the eagle putt. It was one of the most exciting US open finishes I've watched and that would have turned it into an immediate classic. Oh well ... It was still awesome and I can't wait for the next major now. :)

Isn't it ironic, the biggest choke artist in the history of the game... Calls a pretty similar situation... DJ didn't take his time on the putt to tie really... He didn't take a lot of time on the putt to win... It seemed like he just needed to slow down a c hair on 18... I won't call it a choke... But the birdie putt to tie was rushed... As far as the 18 hole playoff... I like it that the Open is the only major on any Tour that still uses it... I don't like sudden death at Augusta... I'd prefer all the majors had some form of aggregate playoff... Im not a huge fan of the four-hole at the Open Championship... I'd like to see it either cut to three or extended to six... Norman's choke list 1986 Masters 1986 U.S. Open 1986 PGA 1989 Masters 1989 Open 1990 U.S. Open (playing with Irwin Sunday) 1993 PGA 1996 Masters 1999 Masters 2008 Open Anything else? Notice: 1984 U.S. Open and 1987 Masters were omitted from the choke list...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Isn't it ironic, the biggest choke artist in the history of the game... Calls a pretty similar situation...

DJ didn't take his time on the putt to tie really... He didn't take a lot of time on the putt to win... It seemed like he just needed to slow down a c hair on 18... I won't call it a choke... But the birdie putt to tie was rushed...

As far as the 18 hole playoff... I like it that the Open is the only major on any Tour that still uses it... I don't like sudden death at Augusta... I'd prefer all the majors had some form of aggregate playoff... Im not a huge fan of the four-hole at the Open Championship... I'd like to see it either cut to three or extended to six...

If you don't like a 4 hole playoff, I don't see how 3 or 6 holes would be that much different.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Not sure if I'm the only one to think this way about a comment Phil Mickleson made.  Phil is one of my favorite players and I consider him a class act.  He took 6 2nd place finishes at the US Open with class and turned them into learning experiences.

Now on to the comment I didn't like.

It seems to me that golfers have gotten more and more picky and somewhat entitled over the years.  I can't remember the exact quote, but he commented on the 18th being either a par 4 or a par 5.  "How can we have a game plan to attack the course when we don't know if it's going to be a par 4 or a par 5?".

Having played a ton of sports, I'll just pick one.  Football.  How can a team expect to come up with a game plan when the other team won't tell them what every play they'll run is going to be, when they'll run it and what personnel and formation they will run it with....   How can a baseball player be expected to hit a pitch when the pitcher can choose to pitch any of 2 to 5 pitches without giving them any notice.  How can the Golden State Warriors beat Lebron and company when they keep switching defenses....

Anyway, you are getting pretty spoiled as an athlete when you are told 4 hours before the round that the 18th is going to be a par 4 and you don't think it's possible to come up with a strategy....  You've known for a week it would be either a 4 or 5.  Pick your 14 clubs and have at it.

As nice a guy as Phil is, I don't think he really thought about what he was saying.  I don't agree that it should have been a par 4 at all, because it was designed as a par 5, but if in 4 hours you can't come up with a strategy....  Well, that's starting to border on ridiculous and the fact, that no broadcaster or anyone else even thinks that's bizarre speaks to how much we're stuck in a rut.

PGA golfers are very very picky and as we used to say in baseball.... rub some dirt on it and let's go.  :-)

One more thing I noticed that I've not yet heard an announcer or writer talk about.  If I'm playing for skins and I need a birdie to win one, I will never leave it short.  I won't try to lag it.  I won't try to hit it the Dave Pelz optimal 16-18" past the hole....  I'll knock it 3 feet past, so I take as much break out of it as possible.

DJ hit his 4 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to force a playoff 4 inches past the hole.  4 inches...  On a four foot putt?  I've not heard anyone talk about that...  I have heard a ton of people say, maybe the green cause his miss...  If you watched closely you'd notice some greens like 7 and 13 were fantastic with no poe annua.  The 18th was a very good green and where they put the pin looked excellent.

You don't hit this putt 4 inches past the cup.  I really like DJ and wanted him to hit the eagle putt, but I can't see anything but nerves when you lag a 4 footer.  I miss one of those and it might cost me $5.  That cost him over $1 million... :-(

One more thing I noticed that I've not yet heard an announcer or writer talk about.  If I'm playing for skins and I need a birdie to win one, I will never leave it short.  I won't try to lag it.  I won't try to hit it the Dave Pelz optimal 16-18" past the hole....  I'll knock it 3 feet past, so I take as much break out of it as possible.

DJ hit his 4 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to force a playoff 4 inches past the hole.  4 inches...  On a four foot putt?  I've not heard anyone talk about that...  I have heard a ton of people say, maybe the green cause his miss...  If you watched closely you'd notice some greens like 7 and 13 were fantastic with no poe annua.  The 18th was a very good green and where they put the pin looked excellent.

You don't hit this putt 4 inches past the cup.  I really like DJ and wanted him to hit the eagle putt, but I can't see anything but nerves when you lag a 4 footer.  I miss one of those and it might cost me $5.  That cost him over $1 million... :-(

Lucky to have an expert on board.

You must make a fortune helping struggling golfers like DJ.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

They just can't close the golf course to get rid of the poa.  Green fee is $300+tax.  No carts and caddie is about $80-100 per bag.  Lots of walking.

Wow.  In this Age of Universal Obesity, people will pay $300 to walk a course?  And the course can find caddies who can also walk ten miles?

Sounds like the 1950s have returned.  Maybe they all smoke cigarettes as well.

It could have been nerves or fatigue.  I tend to putt this way when I am tired (which is more often than not at my age). :-P

I wished he had taken his time and forced a playoff.  Watching him and Spieth go around again would have been fantastic.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

One more thing I noticed that I've not yet heard an announcer or writer talk about.  If I'm playing for skins and I need a birdie to win one, I will never leave it short.  I won't try to lag it.  I won't try to hit it the Dave Pelz optimal 16-18" past the hole....  I'll knock it 3 feet past, so I take as much break out of it as possible. DJ hit his 4 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to force a playoff 4 inches past the hole.  4 inches...  On a four foot putt?  I've not heard anyone talk about that...  I have heard a ton of people say, maybe the green cause his miss...  If you watched closely you'd notice some greens like 7 and 13 were fantastic with no poe annua.  The 18th was a very good green and where they put the pin looked excellent. You don't hit this putt 4 inches past the cup.  I really like DJ and wanted him to hit the eagle putt, but I can't see anything but nerves when you lag a 4 footer.  I miss one of those and it might cost me $5.  That cost him over $1 million... :-(

Pretty good observation there. You're right, he tried to baby it in and probably should have firmed it into the back of the cup cuz the next putt didn't matter.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator

one comment on the "flexibility" of the course.... frankly, i don't want the setup guy to "design" the golf course... multiple driveable par 4's on one 9 is a good example of why "setup guys" shouldn't be given the "flexibility" to re-design the golf course at will...

i have no problem when the designer mixes a driveable par 4 in, fwiw... because he DESIGNS it that way, with risk/reward... on the 2 yesterday, multiple "poor" shots were rewarded, and you had to hit a truly brutal shot to be punished...

Kinda shoots the argument in the foot when you realize the designer designed those holes to play as par 4s and par 5s, doesn't it? Mike Davis wasn't the only one to say it.

I think he agreed, on Sunday, that for players at THIS level, playing 18 as a par four made less sense, so I give him credit for that. He'd touted that as a unique thing all year, and tried it only once.

Jason Day asking if he should putt out at the end, and then after DJ said "I don't care" he asks again? that was kind of lame, of course you should putt out there Jason, your putt means nothing, just get out of the way and let the last player making a putt for the trophy have a clear green, go stand over there>>>>

Others addressed this, but it was a GOOD thing for Day to do that, not the opposite.

Not my point at all.

The USGA has always converted par 5's to longer par 4's. THAT is not a problem, but they keep the par the same throughout the tournament.

Changing par from round to round is just plain silly in my opinion. That's all.

12 played as a par 3.5 and 16 did the last two days also. Do you have a problem with that?

Maybe he knows something you don't? Check this thread out:

Also note that on uphill/downhill putts, the ball can be rolling the same speed but roll out significantly different distances. His second putt might have been traveling almost the same speed at the hole as the eagle putt just before it.

Now, most PGA Tour pros, I agree, will tend to firm the ball in the back of the hole. But DJ had just hit a fast putt down the hill, and at the end of the day, the slower a ball is moving when it reaches the hole the bigger the hole behaves.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!