IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry to bother, but what is the lowest total score ever recorded in a Major?

All four majors has the same lowest 18 hole round at a 63.

Twice at The Masters

4 times at The US Open

8 times at The Open

12 times at The PGA Championship

I am kinda surprised The Masters only had it happen twice. It seems there are always a good handful of golfers who go really low once or twice during the tournament. I think it is probably how hard those green complexes are. I don't think Augusta is the hardest major tee to green, but it is probably one of the hardest for putting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not read all the posts in this thread, so if I am duplicating stuff, my apologies. I am reading lots of bad press from various media out lets about how this US-O has been set up. Lots pissing and moaning from some players. Actually from the usual bunch of players who always piss and moan every year about this time.   In my humble (wgas) opinion, if the players do not like the conditions, then don't play in the tournament. They are all playing under the same conditions , and if a players feels he does not have the shots in his bag to be competitive, they should just move on, and play some where's else this week. These are the best of the best, and being the best of best players in the world means that they sometimes have to adapts their games to be competitive. This is one of those times.   Regardless of the conditions, someone is going to win this major. It matters little if it the winner cards a +5, or a -12. There is no reason for the players to feel this set up has to end with 30%+ of players winding up with a negative score. This should be the toughest tournament the pros play every year. It's the US-O, and the scores should be higher.

I agree with this. I can't understand why they are complaining. Everyone is playing the same course. Deal with it. You are suppose to be professionals not whiny little kids.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Sorry to bother, but what is the lowest total score ever recorded in a Major?

265 strokes

David Toms, in 2001 PGA Championship

266 strokes

Phil Mickelson, 2001 PGA Championship

267 strokes

Steve Elkington, 1995 PGA Championship
Colin Montgomerie, 1995 PGA Championship

Greg Norman, 1993 British Open

Here are the records for lowest total scores in each of the four majors:

Masters: 270, Tiger Woods, 1997
U.S. Open: 268, Rory McIlroy, 2011
British Open: 267, Greg Norman, 1993
PGA Championship: 265, David Toms, 2001

Source: http://golf.about.com/od/progolftours/qt/lowtotalmajorm.htm

I googled "lowest 72 hole score golf major championship", voila .

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Nice pano from a spectator today. If you have good binoculars, you can watch a lot of holes from that one vantage point.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Thanks for the link,that's a super hole.

On the strength of that,whoever wins there will need to hit the fairways,that's Phil out,although I'd love to see him win it.

I don't think one of the big guns will win.

An each way bet on Ryan Palmer for me.

OOPS My bad again,I was replying to the video of the 12th hole.

Main thing I'm worried about is Fox. Read a few articles this morning and there's some concern about the coverage. Most articles are concerned the network may be taking the technology a little too far. That's also my concern. I hope they don't overload us with too many new things. Golf is a sport that you need to just focus on covering the players and the action....not worry so much about gadgets and pro tracers and crazy audio and visuals.

What can anybody possibly have against protracer? Honest question..

Steve

That's not good. I know it's been incredibly dry up there so things might be baking out a bit too much. Btw, does anyone does know if FoxSports has a "Watch Fox App" kind of like ESPN has a "Watch ESPN" App? ESPN has saved me at work the last few years giving me the opportunity to watch the Open at work on my phone. If Fox doesn't have one of those, I'll be the first in line to protest to bring the Open back to ESPN and NBC.

That's not good. I know it's been incredibly dry up there so things might be baking out a bit too much.

Btw, does anyone does know if FoxSports has a "Watch Fox App" kind of like ESPN has a "Watch ESPN" App? ESPN has saved me at work the last few years giving me the opportunity to watch the Open at work on my phone. If Fox doesn't have one of those, I'll be the first in line to protest to bring the Open back to ESPN and NBC.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id319204550

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ibm.events.android.usga

Steve

Tiger using the A swing ??

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The U.S. Open greens already look like a total disaster

Hmm...

It's looking like folks want something to complain about. I read/heard that many (maybe all) of the greens are not going to have a collar/fringe. The fairway and green will be cut to the same height. I don't think those lil areas are going to be a concern given how close the green areas are going to be shaved.

Chambers Bay is going to be a very different US Open than most...more like an Open Championship course with lots of elevation change.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

That's not good. I know it's been incredibly dry up there so things might be baking out a bit too much.

Btw, does anyone does know if FoxSports has a "Watch Fox App" kind of like ESPN has a "Watch ESPN" App? ESPN has saved me at work the last few years giving me the opportunity to watch the Open at work on my phone. If Fox doesn't have one of those, I'll be the first in line to protest to bring the Open back to ESPN and NBC.

USGA doesn't usually show the live broadcast feed, though, from the networks (not in the past, at least). Usually the networks do that. USGA App will usually show highlights, select holes and The Featured Group.

As far as ProTracer goes, I like it.....I just don't like it on every single shot. Like I said, I just don't want them to go overboard with the technology. Reading the opinions from the some of the more respectable writers, that's their concern with Fox. They have a tendency to go overboard sometimes (like the glowing puck).

• Administrator

I am really excited about this U.S. Open, but I hope to whatever you hope to that the course actually holds up and all that. It would be sad if the course made the headlines, and not the players.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisP

USGA doesn't usually show the live broadcast feed, though, from the networks (not in the past, at least). Usually the networks do that. USGA App will usually show highlights, select holes and The Featured Group.

As far as ProTracer goes, I like it.....I just don't like it on every single shot. Like I said, I just don't want them to go overboard with the technology. Reading the opinions from the some of the more respectable writers, that's their concern with Fox. They have a tendency to go overboard sometimes (like the glowing puck).

Then it's just like any other cable channel's corresponding mobile app where you have to input your account login/password.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxsports.videogo&hl;=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fox-sports-go/id711074743?mt=8

Steve

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!