IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/so-much-for-a-bombers-paradise.html

Quote:
If you’re limiting your U.S. Open picks to long hitters, think again. Phil Mickelson said after his Tuesday practice round that he’s down to hitting driver on three holes: the 7th, 11th and 14th.

During his Tuesday practice round with Butch Harmon stablemates Rickie Fowler, Brandt Snedeker and Jimmy Walker, Mickelson backed up his assertion by attacking Chambers Bay with his Callaway X Hot 13-degree. What changed? A firmer and faster Chambers Bay than two weeks ago where Mickelson had first sensed distance was a vital commodity.

MickelsonChambers.jpg
(Getty Images)

“Two weeks ago I thought so, but after playing it today I don't think that it matters,” the birthday boy (45) said. “Holes I was hitting drivers two weeks ago, I was hitting 3-woods and even 2-irons. So I don't see it being as critical.”

I may have to amend my pick to win. Looks like the course length might not affect the outcome as much as previously thought.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think this course is going to be too difficult for Phil to putt well, it's really been his weakness of late and putting this course is other worldy difficult.

But I'm loving this US Open, it's by far the most intriguing in my memory, the course previews alone are compelling, I can't wait!

You mean 'other worldly difficult' like this?: http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/watch-bubba-watson-make-crazy-putt-chambers-bay.html

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

[URL=http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/so-much-for-a-bombers-paradise.html]http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/so-much-for-a-bombers-paradise.html[/URL] I may have to amend my pick to win. Looks like the course length might not affect the outcome as much as previously thought.

They said last night that due to conditions this might actually play as one of the shortest opens in a long time.

Its gonna be interesting thats for sure. Too many opinions all over the place. People saw greens will be insane. People say they are going to be slow for an open. People saw accuracy is key. People saw fairways are wide and fair. People say short hitters have no shot. Others say drivers will have 50 plus yard roll outs each time. Too many opinions all over the place lead me to be nervous for this venue and side with the top tier talent to win.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Its gonna be interesting thats for sure. Too many opinions all over the place. People saw greens will be insane. People say they are going to be slow for an open. People saw accuracy is key. People saw fairways are wide and fair. People say short hitters have no shot. Others say drivers will have 50 plus yard roll outs each time. Too many opinions all over the place lead me to be nervous for this venue and side with the top tier talent to win.

Agree, all those different opinions shows that nobody really seems to know what is going to happen or what is needed to win. Should be interesting to see who deals best with all those uncertainties.

They said last night that due to conditions this might actually play as one of the shortest opens in a long time.

I think if it plays shorter, I'm going to have to go with Henrik Stenson and his 3w to take it. If he gets even remotely hot with the putter he'll be at the top of the leaderboard IMO. Then again, this is the US Open at a very crazy course, he could just as easily miss the cut.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Article on weather for Chambers Bay

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/6/16/chambers-bay-weather-secrets.html

Thanks to reader Tobin for this Cliff Mass weather blog post on how typical this week's weather is for this time of year. He also touches on the microclimates at Chambers Bay as well as a tournament day forecast.

Anyone walking the course and paying atention will be fascinated by the temperature difference between the Puget Sound adjacent holes and those up the hill. The item explains that and more. And suggests rain gear Friday just in case.

The meteorology of Chamber's Bay is heavily influenced by the nearby Sound, which substantially moderates the temperatures year round.   The course also slopes down to the Sound (see picture above and map below).  As a result of these two factors, the lower holes tend to be cooler and windier, getting air coming off the nearby water.   The wind can pick up a bit during the late afternoon as the southern part of the Sound Breeze reaches the course. During the evening, as the land cools, there is a tendency for air to drain downward towards lower elevation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm going with some International, probably from EU.  Y?  More familiar with strange lay-outs, weird fairway bumps and pot bunkers, putting from 40 yards off green, familiar with tee shots with can't -be- seen landing zones....etc.

Who?  Some Frenchy, maybe VDubuisson. He looks good on the screen and he's not too talkative (my favorite kind of guy).

• Administrator

I'm borrowing this from someone else:

Quote:
Pretty interesting comments from Rory and Tiger today in their press conf's...

Rory said he was excited to get back to "swinging normally" and specifically cited putting Royal County Down in the rear view mirror as key so he doesn't have to hit a bunch of "half shots" and run the ball on the ground, etc... Went on to say he thought his ability to fly a high shot to a spot, and use spin to stop it, would be a big advantage this week.

Tiger was asked about how his design work affected his evaluation of strategic options at Chambers Bay and he went on to say links golf was his "favorite" way to play and he loved having the option to run the ball up and keep it on the ground, etc... Further said giving folks the on the ground running option in his designs was key in the effort to make sure all levels of player have a chance to enjoy their round of golf on his courses.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some amateur was just shown on GC "dribbling" his golf ball along the fairway. Legitimately bouncing the golf ball. Bahahaha. This is gonna be weird.

• Administrator
Some amateur was just shown on GC "dribbling" his golf ball along the fairway. Legitimately bouncing the golf ball. Bahahaha. This is gonna be weird.

That wasn't really dribbling. He was throwing the ball at the ground and then catching it (lower, but still higher than you'd expect) before spiking it down again.

It's firm. That's for sure…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If this is true, I may have to rethink Tiger's chances. If he doesn't need to hit the driver at all, he may actually have a good shot to win this. EDIT: Good thing I didn't take Eric's bet.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Is it Thursday yet :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So they have little white dots spaced around to outline where the greens start. Wonder if this will cause some mental errors and cleaning balls when it really is not inside/on the actual green? It really is hard to tell.

Some of the green surfaces look a little crappy. Don't know if it's the camera angle or what, and I didn't see a putt roll over the specific areas that did look crappy, but I hope they're not playing lumpy

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!