IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With this amount of flexibility I guess Davis can just choose what winning score he wants. Barring an outlyer performance like we got from Kaymer last year with his two crazy 65's and he can do what he likes to the winning score. He's not in the Callaway score prediction comp is he?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Important Question:  Will Fox be streaming the Thursday/Friday rounds for those of us at work?

I can't believe I waited until the day before to ask this question......would be a complete shame if not....I looked quickly at the Fox Sports site and didn't see anything apparent

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Important Question:  Will Fox be streaming the Thursday/Friday rounds for those of us at work? I can't believe I waited until the day before to ask this question......would be a complete shame if not....I looked quickly at the Fox Sports site and didn't see anything apparent

Yes sir, featured group and featured hole streaming starting at 7:30 PT on Thursday & Friday. [quote name="RJH999" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-discussion-thread/200_40#post_1154121"] The featured groups will be streaming online and on the U.S Open App. Featured Groups for Thursday & Friday(Tee Times Thursday, Friday). Pacific Time. 7:33, 1:33-Angel Cabrera, Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson. 8:28, 2:28-Martin Kaymer, Rory McIlroy, Gunn Yang(A) 2:17, 8:17-Jason Day, Justin Rose, Jordan Spieth 2:28, 8:28-Rickie Fowler, Louis Oosthuizen, Tiger Woods.[/quote]

Riley

Interesting choice of course, I like watching tournaments on links courses. The course can be dry and brown, as long as it's playable and somewhat fair.

I won't be able to watch too much, but I'll pop it on the screen now and then. I'd like to see Jason Day take it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The featured groups will be streaming online and on the U.S Open App.

Featured Groups for Thursday & Friday(Tee Times Thursday, Friday). Pacific Time.

7:33, 1:33-Angel Cabrera, Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson.

8:28, 2:28-Martin Kaymer, Rory McIlroy, Gunn Yang(A)

2:17, 8:17-Jason Day, Justin Rose, Jordan Spieth

2:28, 8:28-Rickie Fowler, Louis Oosthuizen, Tiger Woods.

Fantastic featured groups IMO. Digging it.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Looks like Puma golf shoes and a Cobra golf bag to me ....... Gotta be Rickie ...........

Don't usually see him sporting casual "All White" attire .....

Good pick and good luck to both you and Rickie ......

Club Rat

Actually looks like light grey pants and a white shirt with light grey sleeves. Of course, I could be wrong.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

They said last night that due to conditions this might actually play as one of the shortest opens in a long time.

I like that it's going to play shorter, levels the playing field a bit, IMO. Saw some crazy bounces and rolls during the practice round on TV last night, it might be a little wacky out there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just saw a train go by the course right next to the 16th green!

I did a quick google search to see if it would be running during the tourney, and Yes it will be.  Wonder how much of a distraction this will be for the players?

Related, I also found this article - apparently there will be protesters out on the water, not protesting the open, but protesting the trains in general.  what some people will do for attention.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2761342/Bomb-train-protest-planned-at-Chambers-Bay-for-US-Open

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Just saw a train go by the course right next to the 16th green!

I did a quick google search to see if it would be running during the tourney, and Yes it will be.  Wonder how much of a distraction this will be for the players?

Related, I also found this article - apparently there will be protesters out on the water, not protesting the open, but protesting the trains in general.  what some people will do for attention.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2761342/Bomb-train-protest-planned-at-Chambers-Bay-for-US-Open

I've played courses with holes next to train tracks and played shots while the train was passing by. It's not that bad. Compared to a NYC indoor/outdoor train station, much more quiet. Imho, I'd rather have the steady drone of a passing train than a crowd around me w/the chance of a random shout or camera snap. No way they shut down the trains just for a golf tournament albeit a major, which still is a smaller slice of the  economy compared to the transport of goods.

Now big passenger and cargo jets flying low, that's annoying. Planes are way louder than trains and more annoying if my experience watching tennis's US Open near LGA is any indicator. Air Force jet fighters are very loud too.

It's not the sound of train wheels on tracks that might affect the USO though, if there is one, I'd guess it's someone tooting a horn at an inopportune moment.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've played courses with holes next to train tracks and played shots while the train was passing by. It's not that bad. Compared to an indoor/outdoor train station, much more quiet. Imho, compared to people talking in the background, I'd rather have the steady drone of a passing train. No way they shut down the trains just for a golf tournament albeit a major, which still is a smaller slice of the  economy compared to the transport of goods.

Now big passenger and cargo jets flying low, that's annoying. Planes are way louder than trains and more annoying if my experience watching tennis's US Open near LGA is any indicator. Air Force jet fighters are very loud too.

Makes sense.  The train whistle/horn might catch someone in a backswing, but that's probably rare, too, and might be something they regulate around the course.

Wonder how many trains have been hit by errant shots, accidentally or otherwise...

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Liberty National is like that. Planes coming into Newark go right by it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 3.31.36 PM

Image of part of the green. Is the USGA pushing the course past its limits?

I tend to like a final score from +4 to -4 for a US Open. Still, not at the expense of the golf course.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Image of part of the green. Is the USGA pushing the course past its limits?

I tend to like a final score from +4 to -4 for a US Open. Still, not at the expense of the golf course.

See that right there looks bad.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

There will not be protesters in the bay. There are police boats out there to keep all boat traffic out. The course looks a lot worse on tv. Looks awesome in person. These geeens are not too fast yet. I saw plenty people hitting long irons into 18 green and stopping them near the hole. Even the yellowish grass is soft like carpet when you walk on it. All fecue greens look blotchy close up. The balls are rolling nicely without bounce. Can't wait! I wanted to grab my clubs soooo bad.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/fifteen-things-to-expect-from.html

Quote:

9. Green speeds will fall between 11 and 12 on the Stimpmeter.

10. Contrary to what some players have been saying, the greens will actually speed up as the day goes along. Even though the poa annua grass (interspersed with the fine fescue) will grow as the day progresses, it actually loses friction, and won't slow a ball down like you'd expect.

11. The greens "look splotchy" due to the two types of grass, but Davis is happy with the smoothness of the roll, and less concerned about appearance. Brad Fritsch, a Canadian player, actually expressed similar sentiments on Twitter yesterday. Most other U.S. Open courses use poa annua and bentgrass, which are the same color, but fescue and bent are different, hence the mottled appearance.

12. It's hard to distinguish between the greens and the fairway for the simple fact that both are predominantly fine fescue grass.

I'm just gonna quote some stuff about the greens, since it's come up in discussion recently.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!