IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those who want to get an early inside look at how Fox will cover this year's Championship, FoxSports1 is airing a 1-hour "U.S. Open Media Day Special" tonight at 9:30. They will go over some of the new technology they will use for their coverage this year among other things.

Here's a look at the Broadcasting team:

Main Tower: Joe Buck & Greg Norman
Hole Announcers: Steve Flesch, Brad Faxon
Analysts: Corey Pavin, Tom Weiskopf
On-Course Reporters: Jay Delsing, Scott McCarron, Julie Inkster
Host/Reporter: Charles Davis
Golf Course Architect Analyst: Gil Hanse
Rules Analyst: David Fay
Studio Host: Curt Menefee

• Upvote 2

I was lucky enough to be accepted as a volunteer this year. I also have played the course many times so this will be a very memorable USO for me!

Oh and I can avoid the messy traffic by biking from my grandparents house a few miles away.

The weather won't be an issue. It can be windy anywhere on the sound and will likely drizzle but it shouldn't get nasty by any means.

I've played as far back as I can on most holes at Chambers Bay (some were blocked off).  And I can say this course will certainly favor the longer hitters.  There are only a few holes where accuracy off the tee is key.  A lot of the holes have widish fairways, but shot placement can be key to avoid big bunker hazards.  The bunkers are raked if within 5yds of the fairway or ones that typically come into play. Otherwise bunkers are not raked and can be very tricky, so the one shot that is a huge slice can be cause for alarm.  Greens are not overly difficult, but as stated above they run them pretty slow for public play, so it may be a different story for the USO.

But yes I'll be looking for the bigger hitters like dustin to make a good run for it.  I'll be out there Thursday! I'm excited as it'll be the first Pro event that I've attended.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Poulter tweets reports from other players that CB is a complete farce and then continues with, "I guess someone has to win." Eyeroll.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Poulter tweets reports from other players that CB is a complete farce and then continues with, "I guess someone has to win." Eyeroll.

What a twit

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Does he mean a specific player with 'someone'? His cry games are getting old..

~Jorrit

" I guess someone has to win."

And we all hope that it's not you, Poulter.

I'm logging into Twitter just to favorite Peter U's comment.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

After watching those hole-by-hole previews it sure looks like some of the greens are punishing. At least the course will be soft since June in Puget Sound is still a bit cool and rainy.

Who knows what to expect with regards to scoring. I remember when everyone thought Whistling Straits was going to be impossible and then players went out and shot pretty low. Wide fairways and softer greens may actually allow for good scores. Length does not always result in difficult scoring. Fast greens and many times narrow fairways do.

• Administrator

I recorded the Media Day show on Fox that showed off some of the cool things they're planning to do for the U.S. Open, and I'm pretty excited.

Fox, for better or worse, is not afraid of trying different things. The FoxTrax puck didn't work, but the stuff they've done for the NFL has become standard practice.

A LOT of what they seem to be doing for the U.S. Open looks great.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I recorded the Media Day show on Fox that showed off some of the cool things they're planning to do for the U.S. Open, and I'm pretty excited. Fox, for better or worse, is not afraid of trying different things. The FoxTrax puck didn't work, but the stuff they've done for the NFL has become standard practice. A LOT of what they seem to be doing for the U.S. Open looks great.

I was excited to watch that after it was mentioned here ... Alas I did not account for time difference and missed it.

Ryan Palmar speaks out on CB greens. Not sure what the consensus on not flat teeing areas is, but I've rarely encountered teeing areas that were slanted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2015/04/29/us-open-chambers-bay-golf-course-players-complaints/26604693/

Quote:

"Tee to green the course is OK. It's not bad," Palmer said. "It's a great piece of land, great scenery. Very fair off the tee."

" … The green complexes are something else. With some of the pin placements, you will see some guys play it 30 yards left, 30 yards right or 30 yards long, and next thing you know you'll have a 2 footer. Or you'll be 75 feet from the pin. … You have to spend so much time on the greens, practice rounds are going to take eight hours. Every green has like five or six greens on it."

But Palmer's consternation with Chambers Bay is more about what the US. Golf Association might do with the setup than it is with the course.

"(Davis') idea of tee boxes on down hills, up hills and side hills is ridiculous. That's not golf. I don't care what anybody says," Palmer said. "It will get a lot of bad press from the players. It is a joke. I don't understand it. I just don't know why they would do it."

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Ryan Palmar speaks out on CB greens. Not sure what the consensus on not flat teeing areas is, but I've rarely encountered teeing areas that were slanted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2015/04/29/us-open-chambers-bay-golf-course-players-complaints/26604693/

Guess I wont be betting on Ryan Palmer or Poulter.

More from Palmer,

Quote:
But … "We played it soft. The greens were rolling 9s (on the Stimpmeter). If they get it rolling 10 and 12, it will be interesting," Palmer said of the massive green complexes on the course. The greens feature large mounds, plenty of bumps and are largely unpredictable and will bring luck and plenty of it into play. "Put a quarter in the machine and go for a ride.

I don't know look at the The Open (British). Those courses are all full of mounds and other weird slopes that can cause a ball to do all sorts of unpredictable things. It isn't like this hasn't been seen on a golf course before. Maybe Palmer just hates courses that are a bit unorthodox.

I do agree that the tee boxes should not be severely slanted. Keep it the 1% or so for drainage. That is just stupid.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just another reason why Spieth is going to have a leg up on everyone. His caddy is going to have the best info on where to hit the ball into the green.

Slanted tees is weird, but this is the US Open, isn't this supposed to be the toughest course of the year? Some will take it as a circus, others will take it as a challenge. Should be interesting nonetheless.

Joel Holden

I'm just glad the pros get to share some of the course conditions us mere mortals play. There's a goat track by me that has uneven tee boxes all over the place. I'd be more than happy to show them around it if they wanted.

I guarantee you that the winner will be someone who will enjoy the challenge of the set up, as opposed to someone who hates the set up.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I guarantee you that the winner will be someone who will enjoy the challenge of the set up, as opposed to someone who hates the set up.

I agree...

Unless it's Bubba, who's notorious for crying about course set ups and then a good majority of the time plays very well on them.

Joel Holden

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!