IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Joe Buck just called Chambers Bay a links course about an hour after Tom Weiskoph did a segment on how it's not a links course.

I think Weiskoph is incorrect. It almost sounds like people don't want to claim any course not over in the UK as a links course. Like it tarnishes the game of golf or something of that sort.

Linksland is typically characterised by dunes, an undulating surface, and a sandy soil unsuitable for arable farming but which readily supports various indigenous browntop bents and red fescue grasses, that result in the firm turf associated with links courses and the 'running' game.

All that sounds like Chambers Bay to me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well Dustin Johnson is just being a big fat jerk. I could tell he was in great form going into last week and he withdraws because of sickness after I start him in fantasy golf. Now he's just cruising through Chambers.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

How is the Fox coverage so far?  I have just had limited time on the featured pairings so far.

Assuming it's the same as the feed we had for Sky, it's been fine.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

How is the Fox coverage so far?  I have just had limited time on the featured pairings so far.

I like it. They've taken some interesting angles, some fresh new looks.

Dustin Johnson now at -5. Didn't Taylormade say that if you buy one of their drivers and DJ wins, they'll give you your money back?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Dustin Johnson isn't messing around... since I'm Canadian and can't participate in the challenge I'd like to make my fun picks :D

Either Justin Rose at -8 wins it or Dustin Johnson at -9

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

It's early yet, but Dustin Johnson is looking like Martin Kaymer last year with this start. I hope it doesn't continue because last year was the most boring US Open in recent memory.

How is Bubba Watson somehow going to finish his round at even par?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Speaking as a Brit who has played plenty of links courses, the "is Chambers Bay a links" debate seems silly. It's obviously a links course in its character. Mickelson made some interesting remarks about it being a links course that has been upscaled to the modern game - longer than most of the UK links courses, more scope to use the driver, but still the same character and requirement to run the ball into the greens. I think he's right. Looks an absolutely terrific course to play, anyway. And it makes a nice change from the usual target golf into receptive greens.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Black Golfer Competition Update: Timothy O'Neal shot a 4 over 74. Tiger will need to beat that. [quote name="ChrisP" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/520_40#post_1156501"]It's early yet, but Dustin Johnson is looking like Martin Kaymer last year with this start. I hope it doesn't continue because last year was the most boring US Open in recent memory.[/quote] I hope not, but Dustin Johnson is certainly more mercurial than Kaymer. [quote name="Chilli Dipper" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/520_40#post_1156503"]How is Bubba Watson somehow going to finish his round at even par?[/quote] Maybe even better, par five 18 coming up.

Riley

Black Golfer Competition Update: Timothy O'Neal shot a 4 over 74. Tiger will need to beeat that.

Didn't know this was being tracked.. Can we get a Korean / EURO update as well? ;)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Didn't know this was being tracked.. Can we get a Korean / EURO update as well? ;)

Korean golfer leaderboard thus far: ;-) Ben An-+2 thru 12 Gunn Yang-+3 thru 14 Seuk Hyun Baek-+4 thru 18 There are too many damn Euro's. :-P

• Upvote 1

Riley

It's early yet, but Dustin Johnson is looking like Martin Kaymer last year with this start. I hope it doesn't continue because last year was the most boring US Open in recent memory.

The strategy to win at Pinehurst was to stay in the middle of the course, be patient, and maximize the scoring opportunities you get. Nothing I've seen from Chambers Bay so far suggests there's a surefire "safe" strategy that will lead to birdies, especially if the course dries out and/or the wind picks up through the weekend.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!