IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are not bald spots. Do you have HD? They're a bit bumpy but fine. Hit them. They'll go in.

I mean, there ARE definitely dead and bald spots. I do have HD.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I don't expect it to be Augusta but this course looks near impossible to play.  I know some people scored well earlier but I don't know how unless a bit of luck is involved.  This course is too penal, these guys have no idea where to land the ball without it rolling off into fescue or sand.

I think what's making the course scoreable is the wide fairways. Dustin Johnson was playing everything from the fairway today and getting it to 15-20 feet. Miss the fairways, you miss the greens and it's very, very difficult to get up and down around these greens.

I think what's making the course scoreable is the wide fairways. Dustin Johnson was playing everything from the fairway today and getting it to 15-20 feet. Miss the fairways, you miss the greens and it's very, very difficult to get up and down around these greens.

Plus he played in the morning. Scoring seems higher in the afternoon, Ben Martin & Brian Campbell are -3 through 15 & 14, respectively. Jason Day & Jordan Spieth -2 through 17. Joost Luiten with the best round of the afternoon with a 68.

Riley

They have played practice rounds on this course, everyone always complains about how the pros play on such a nice pristine courses....... I think it's great if you want to win the U.S. Open you have to play any course in any condition

I'm not talking about the course condition, I'm talking about the overall setup.  If you land a ball within 10 feet of the hole from 180 yards out and it rolls down a hill and into fescue or sand it's no longer about skill.  Ricky had to take two shots to get out of the sand on two different holes, these guys are pro's, how does a guy like me play this course?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not talking about the course condition, I'm talking about the overall setup.  If you land a ball within 10 feet of the hole from 180 yards out and it rolls down a hill and into fescue or sand it's no longer about skill.

Yes it is ...... The players know the spots they have to land it on, they just miss them ever so slightly and they get punished for it

There you go. There's the answer. Still sucks because just not up to US Open quality and it looks like absolute shit IMO. I'm sure this course is fun to play an I do like that we have a different style of course this year, but its just in poor shape.

I haven't said anything on the board, but I know people here, and the groundskeepers had been sweating this all season. It was too cool in March and April for the fescue when they needed it to start growing, then May hit. There was about two or three weeks of decent growth weather and that was it. I just didn't want to spread negativity about the course.

It is a very tough course.

And they're making a remark about trimming the long fescue? The course is too difficult? Well, I guess -10 rounds sell gear, and +3 rounds don't. This course looks very difficult and I can truthfully say I do not have the game to play it even from the shorter tees.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Plus he played in the morning. Scoring seems higher in the afternoon, Ben Martin & Brian Campbell are -3 through 15 & 14, respectively. Jason Day & Jordan Spieth -2 through 17. Joost Luiten with the best round of the afternoon with a 68.

You also have to take advantage of the holes that are easy. Jordan did that by birdieing 8 and 12. 16 and 18 are also very gettable as well if you drive it in the fairway. The rest of the holes you just need to try and play fairways and greens and pray.

Yes it is ...... The players know the spots they have to land it on, they just miss them ever so slightly and they get punished for it

Yeah I don't really have a problem about that aspect of the course for the most part. It is a little gimmicky to me, but its not unfair. DJ and Stenson had great rounds. This is a US Open; its not suppose to be easy.

I just have an issue with the green conditions and how I dont think courses this open show well on TV. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
I mean, there ARE definitely dead and bald spots. I do have HD.

I don't think so. I think you're seeing brown and taking it as dead/bald.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not talking about the course condition, I'm talking about the overall setup.  If you land a ball within 10 feet of the hole from 180 yards out and it rolls down a hill and into fescue or sand it's no longer about skill.  Ricky had to take two shots to get out of the sand on two different holes, these guys are pro's, how does a guy like me play this course?

If the ball lands ten feet from the pin and rolls off the green, then that's not the correct place on the green to land it. Utilizing the contours of the course to your advantage is a skill.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I don't think so. I think you're seeing brown and taking it as dead/bald.

Nope.

Faxon and Flesch both brought it up. Norman also said something about 2 hrs ago.

Lol Tiger and Louie what a great shot there.

Lol Tiger and Louie what a great shot there.

Great to see it, I'll 2nd that....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Yeah I don't really have a problem about that aspect of the course for the most part. It is a little gimmicky to me, but its not unfair. DJ and Stenson had great rounds. This is a US Open; its not suppose to be easy. I just have an issue with the green conditions and how I dont think courses this open show well on TV. Just my opinion.

I still don't see why that is a problem.... Stick it inside a foot

• Administrator
Nope. Faxon and Flesch both brought it up. Norman also said something about 2 hrs ago.

Still going with my guys on site on this one. Sorry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!