IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No sure, but pin placements look a little tougher than yesterday?

14 and 4 look pretty sassy, The placement near sand...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I leave you splitting hair. The true links are only in GB and Ireland, the others are "links-like". Chambers Bay has been presented by USA media as the American' St Andrews, and as a link-like golf course the y have done a poor job. That's not my opinion but reactions by players, media and spectators all over the globe. Chambers Bay is uniquely bad. On TV I can see those beautiful trees on the background and the staggering green and flowers of the great US Open comes to my mind.

I think Bandon Dunes might differ with your definition of a links course.

(At the same time, I do not want to get into a 5 page discussion with you on this issue)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't care what the pros say, I think the course looks like it'd be a blast to play.  I've always loved the big green with backstops and more wide open type courses.  I'd probably lose 50 balls and shoot a 185, but still looks like fun.

As much fun as the course looks to play, it looks like it'd be a terrible place to watch a golf tournament.  It seemed like the fans weren't within 50 yards of any of the greens or fairways.  Very few places for them to go on the course.  I went to the Memorial a few weeks ago, and you can walk up and down any fairway and get right next to any green.  Seems like a much better fan experience.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

I think Bandon Dunes might differ with your definition of a links course.

(At the same time, I do not want to get into a 5 page discussion with you on this issue)

So it's the one I am a member if you don't mind.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_links_golf_courses

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

I leave you splitting hair. The true links are only in GB and Ireland, the others are "links-like". Chambers Bay has been presented by USA media as the American' St Andrews, and as a link-like golf course the y have done a poor job. That's not my opinion but reactions by players, media and spectators all over the globe. Chambers Bay is uniquely bad. On TV I can see those beautiful trees on the background and the staggering green and flowers of the great US Open comes to my mind.

Who cares what the media says? I don't think CB is a bad course. It's very interesting and offers players a lot of options. As far as what the players think, who cares? They want perfect conditions and a traditional parkland course. Many are spoiled brats. By the way last year's US Open was a Pinehurst #2 which certainly did not have a ton of trees and green grass. Yet it's considered one of the best in the world. And Shinnecock Hills, a favorite of many also has a links look, especially since they took out many trees.

So it's the one I am a member if you don't mind.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_links_golf_courses

That's the worst list I've ever seen.

Personally, I find the course to look bad, visually speaking. The splotchy browns and greens just aren't pleasing to my eyes. That's not to say I think it's a bad course, because I've never been there and there's no way I'd be able to handle playing it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Justin Rose just mishit an iron way right, hit a bank that shot the ball across the green, which caught another bank and trickled down to about 10 feet from the hole.

That was entertaining :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Personally, I find the course to look bad, visually speaking. The splotchy browns and greens just aren't pleasing to my eyes. That's not to say I think it's a bad course, because I've never been there and there's no way I'd be able to handle playing it.

It certainly doesn't look like a typical US PGA Tour course.  My wife walked in while I was watching coverage last night and commented on how "horrible" the course looked.

Joe Paradiso

It was nice and green when I played it two years ago. The USGA likes to burn courses out.

I thought others said it was more this year's weather that caused a lot of issues with the course more than the USGA.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

It certainly doesn't look like a typical US PGA Tour course.  My wife walked in while I was watching coverage last night and commented on how "horrible" the course looked.

I think it looks just as good as St. Andrews. I enjoy watching that venue as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think in the end, a lot will depend on the champion. If the winner is a guy like Spieth or Mickelson, I think the "story" will be bigger than the course and may actually help get CB's image and that it produced a great champion. But if the winner is a guy like Ben Martin or Henrik Stenson...someone who's not going to create much of a story.....this Open will be remembered for the whining of the greens more than anything. Speaking of Spieth, I expect him to move up the leaderboard today. Early tee time and this course just seems like it suits him.

We are conditioned to think that golf courses should be lush and tree lined. This only feasible in certain climates at certain times of the year and requires a lot of fertilizer and water to maintain, Fescue grasses like those used at Chambers Bay are far more maintenance friendly but not as pretty.

Holly has had more work done?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!