IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisP

One unique thing about Washington is it stays light there in June until around 10pm and the sun's up at 5. So golf will be going on all the way up until midnight on the East Coast. I expect the USGA to take advantage of the extra daylight. You'll be seeing the last groups teeing off prolly around 7:30 or so on Saturday and Sunday, which is very odd. Truly will be primetime golf.

Really?  I had never heard that before.

It's farther north than most of the US, so naturally they have longer days in mid-June.  10 PM is a stretch - more like sunset at around 9:00 - and no way a group of pros is going to be teeing off at 7:30 for a 3½ hour round.  I grew up in Minnesota and lived in Montana for several years, so yes sunset comes later, but let's not get carried away with it.

Okay, looked it up HERE :

Sunset on Sunday, June 21 is at 9:10, and what they call "civil twilight" ends at 9:50.  That is really too late to be playing golf except maybe to try and squeeze in the end of a delayed round.  They definitely won't be starting any rounds at 7:30 PM, less than 2 hours before sunset (unless you are talking 7:30 EDT).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's farther north than most of the US, so naturally they have longer days in mid-June.  10 PM is a stretch - more like sunset at around 9:00 - and no way a group of pros is going to be teeing off at 7:30 for a 3½ hour round.  I grew up in Minnesota and lived in Montana for several years, so yes sunset comes later, but let's not get carried away with it.

Okay, looked it up HERE:

Sunset on Sunday, June 21 is at 9:10, and what they call "civil twilight" ends at 9:50.  That is really too late to be playing golf except maybe to try and squeeze in the end of a delayed round.  They definitely won't be starting any rounds at 7:30 PM, less than 2 hours before sunset (unless you are talking 7:30 EDT).

You know though ... I certainly wouldn't mind them taking advantage of that amount of light on Monday if they go to a playoff.  That's the worst part about their stupid playoff system ... most normal (non-retired) people can't watch it because we're all at work on Monday.  But if they teed off at, say, 6pm EDT???  The east coasters could watch the whole danged thing, and we out here could at least watch the whole back nine.

One unique thing about Washington is it stays light there in June until around 10pm and the sun's up at 5. So golf will be going on all the way up until midnight on the East Coast. I expect the USGA to take advantage of the extra daylight. You'll be seeing the last groups teeing off prolly around 7:30 or so on Saturday and Sunday, which is very odd. Truly will be primetime golf.

I presume you are saying they would tee off at 7:30p east coast time, which they could totally do and get the round completed before dark.

But there is no way that the USGA would want the final holes being broadcast after 10pm, let alone after 11pm.

I think you will see the last groups teeing off so that they finish the tournament in early prime time.

Players play, tough players win!

I presume you are saying they would tee off at 7:30p east coast time, which they could totally do and get the round completed before dark.

But there is no way that the USGA would want the final holes being broadcast after 10pm, let alone after 11pm.

I think you will see the last groups teeing off so that they finish the tournament in early prime time.

Yeah, that's what I mean. And they are allowing for it because Fox has it on TV until 11pm each day so my guess is they'll be teeing the last groups off around 7 EST Saturday and Sunday. The benefit is in case there's any weather delays. If need be, they could push them pretty late or tee them off super early.

I've been to Washington in the summer. Sunset is around 9:15 but it stays light still until around 10 or so. Go a little further north into Alaska and it stays light out for 24 hours. Some places far in the north don't really get super dark. It's like a light-dark after sunset. I remember the last time the Open was in St. Andrew's they had a weather delay and they have a late sunset just like Seattle. They were playing until after 10 o'clock at night local time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Yeah, that's what I mean. And they are allowing for it because Fox has it on TV until 11pm each day so my guess is they'll be teeing the last groups off around 7 EST Saturday and Sunday. The benefit is in case there's any weather delays. If need be, they could push them pretty late or tee them off super early.

I've been to Washington in the summer. Sunset is around 9:15 but it stays light still until around 10 or so. Go a little further north into Alaska and it stays light out for 24 hours. Some places far in the north don't really get super dark. It's like a light-dark after sunset. I remember the last time the Open was in St. Andrew's they had a weather delay and they have a late sunset just like Seattle. They were playing until after 10 o'clock at night local time.

Keep in mind that Scotland is as far north as Glacier Bay, Alaska.  Way farther up than Chambers Bay.

Rick

And there's no way they're sending players off at 7 with only 4hrs to finish by 11. These guys will be playing 5+hrs rounds.

Colin P.

Fox US Open promotional commercial

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Ohhhh I do like that. Swagger

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

And there's no way they're sending players off at 7 with only 4hrs to finish by 11. These guys will be playing 5+hrs rounds.

On weekends in two-somes, they'll get around in close to 4 hours...maybe a little over. Fox and the USGA is going to go as deep into primetime as they can.My guess is the last tee time on the weekend will be something around 6:45 EST with the telecast scheduled to go until 11. But the main point is if there's a weather delay for some reason, there's a big advantage with the extra daylight they have.

• Administrator

I hope Davis is right, to be honest…

Quote:

Mike Davis hasn't caused this much consternation since he spoke at a PGA Tour players meeting about the evils of the long putter.

Only this time, he was extolling the virtues of Chambers Bay.

Maybe to a fault.

The USGA's executive director hosted a preview of the mysterious U.S. Open course south of Seattle and suggested that even the best in golf will have little chance unless they arrive early and play often.

''The idea of coming in and playing two practice rounds and having your caddie just walk it and using your yardage book, that person's done,'' Davis said. ''Will not win the U.S. Open.''

In the three weeks since that bold prediction, the reaction has been, well, predictable.

''We'll play for second,'' former U.S. Open champion Webb Simpson said at Quail Hollow with no shortage of sarcasm.

''What's Mike Davis' handicap?'' asked Rory McIlroy, another U.S. Open champion and the best player in the world, something Davis is not. It was a playful reminder that amateurs who run tournaments should not underestimate the skill of those who do this for a living.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/players-scoff-usgas-chambers-bay-warning/?cid=twitter-gc-a-players-scoff-usgas-chambers-bay-warning-051915

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Quote:

Mike Davis hasn't caused this much consternation since he spoke at a PGA Tour players meeting about the evils of the long putter.

Only this time, he was extolling the virtues of Chambers Bay.

Maybe to a fault.

The USGA's executive director hosted a preview of the mysterious U.S. Open course south of Seattle and suggested that even the best in golf will have little chance unless they arrive early and play often.

''The idea of coming in and playing two practice rounds and having your caddie just walk it and using your yardage book, that person's done,'' Davis said. ''Will not win the U.S. Open.''

In the three weeks since that bold prediction, the reaction has been, well, predictable.

''We'll play for second,'' former U.S. Open champion Webb Simpson said at Quail Hollow with no shortage of sarcasm.

''What's Mike Davis' handicap?'' asked Rory McIlroy, another U.S. Open champion and the best player in the world, something Davis is not. It was a playful reminder that amateurs who run tournaments should not underestimate the skill of those who do this for a living.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/players-scoff-usgas-chambers-bay-warning/?cid=twitter-gc-a-players-scoff-usgas-chambers-bay-warning-051915

It's not as if Mike Davis is a know nothing off the street.  He's certainly been around pros enough to know what they are capable of and what might give them some trouble.  The pros can joke all they want until they've seen and played the course with US Open speed and pins.  Somehow I think that the course will be the same sort of test that the USGA always manages to set up for for its premier championship.

Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Fox US Open promotional commercial

Good promo, IMO.

Feels like a beer commercial to me.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Wasn't this called a big reason peopled used for Tiger winning majors all the time? He would go and study the course and learn everything about it? I would have thought every player would follow that lead, considering they've done that for a lot of things Tiger did (new ball, fitness, etc.).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Wasn't this called a big reason peopled used for Tiger winning majors all the time? He would go and study the course and learn everything about it? I would have thought every player would follow that lead, considering they've done that for a lot of things Tiger did (new ball, fitness, etc.).

I guess we'll see where Web Simpson sits come Sunday if he really believes what he said.

Rick

How much are the green fees at Chambers Bay? Just curious.

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/golf/rates-and-services/

$170.46 to $342, depending on the time of year, if you are a resident, etc.

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!