IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with patrick. Unless mike davis turns the screws up i am looking at 7 underish.... Leaderboard looks good to me. Arguably 3 of the best young american players right at the top. All top 15 ranked players. Jb jolmes has had a good year and is up there...stenson and day are both top 10 players. Kisner has had a good year. Kuch and sufner are probably right on the edge of being in it....i

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://deadspin.com/how-patrick-reed-became-golfs-latest-villian-1682766305 A good read on Patrick Reed that I'm sure most of you have already read. The jist of it? Patrick Reed has no friends. Secondly, Patrick Reed just said that finishing -5 on Sunday will not be enough and he needs to go lower?! Interesting, I think -5 will probably win it. David Duval agrees.

his wife seems like a bit of a space cadet too. I've never been fond of him but can't deny the skill he has.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

So...where is the line between being in it and being out...even, +1?

Probably even. But even a guy at +2 can shoot 67-67 and maybe win or get in a playoff, but that's a longshot. If we say the cutoff is even par, that leaves 20 golfers who have a chance. Let's break it down, shall we? :-D We can eliminate golfers in the "LOLNO" category: Cameron Smith Andrés Romero(Although I would give me left nut for A-Bomb to win the U.S Open) Alexander Levy Brian Campbell(A) Jamie Lovemark Daniel Summerhays That leaves 14 with a shot, but we can put a few more in the "Extreme Longshots" category: Shane Lowry Kevin Kisner Ben Martin Tony Finau Joost Luiten Branden Grace Jason Day(Worried about the vertigo) Andddd the seven golfers with a serious shot at winning are: Jason Dufner Matt Kuchar Henrik Stenson J.B Holmes Dustin Johnson Jordan Spieth Patrick Reed Plus a few wildcards who are over par with enough firepower to make up ground: Adam Scott Brandt Snedeker Justin Rose

Riley

Luiten winning is defenitly a longshot, but mainly because his season so far is crap. At the start of the season he was still 29th on OWGR. Since then he mainly played big tournaments on the PGA and his results were crap. This course however doesn't really 'feel' USA and is in some ways comparible with the KLM Open, his home tournament which he won in 2013 and got a top 5 last year. Absolutely still a long shot, but I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

~Jorrit

Luiten winning is defenitly a longshot, but mainly because his season so far is crap. At the start of the season he was still 29th on OWGR. Since then he mainly played big tournaments on the PGA and his results were crap. This course however doesn't really 'feel' USA and is in some ways comparible with the KLM Open, his home tournament which he won in 2013 and got a top 5 last year. Absolutely still a long shot, but I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

:offtopic: But I definitely think the move to the PGA Tour is a struggle for a number of Euros. For example Gonzalo Fernandez Castaño was a top fifty player in the world but his game has plummeted since moving to the states. It's certainly a huge adjustment.

Riley

Well, it's been ages since I posted here, former writer at TST. I spent the Tuesday practice round and Thursday at Chambers Bay. It is expansive. Beautiful views of the sound and a golf course that looks very beautiful to me. I was born just a few miles from the course so I'm very pleased to have a U.S. Open close.

Tuesday impressions... The atmosphere was very laid back. I got a feel for where everything was. Spent some time on the 6th fairway and watched Butch walk by with Fowler, Snedeker, and Mickelson (all students). Gulbis was with that group and walked right by. She wasn't hard to look at.

Els' legs are so long he looks like a spider. The most interesting golfer in the world had a cigar plugging his yapper. He's my hero. Cool to see Adam and Steve together for the moment. Lots of noise from the 9th green all day long.

Ogilvy splashed one out of the sand just shy of the putting surface on 7 and it rolled back to his feet. "Well," he said, "looks like I'll get plenty of practice here."

Saw Mcilroy tee off with a long iron on 2 at about 4 ish. First one right, second middle.

Thursday impressions... I enjoyed the site again. I met a friend at parking and rode over in the bus. I had a nice blackened shrimp sandwich and a couple of IPA's. Nom nom.

The 7th fairway proved to be a very good viewing area as we had a look at tee shots and seconds into the green. I could easily make out putts on 6 with my little binoculars. Bubba hit it longer than anyone I saw, though D. Johnson's tee shot today looked a little further up and center cut. Tiger's tee shot was long en route to a par. 10 over total. Oops.

The amateur Campbell was on fire. I saw him on 15 and 17. I stood right next to the green at 15 and had a great view of a couple of the groups hit into that green. There was a huge backstop to funnel balls around.

I lined up behind 10 and some some DTL tee shots by Furyk, Jimenez, Montgomerie, Koepka, Henley, and An. It's a wide fairway, though one of them drove it in the left bunker. Can't remember who.

Dufner's waggle looks good from 20 feet away. The lady next to me told me that my man crush for him was okay. Bonus... he's available. Marc Warren hits it hard. If anything struck me about the difference in the pro's game it is the  sound at impact and their fluidity. Effortless power abounds. And they nuke it. I would have a tough time breaking 140 there.

It is an absolute hike but I loved it. I made it to every corner of the course and the crowds were manageable, except when a crowd 5-20 deep showed up on 7 when Tiger came through. My buddy and I had set up there about 45 minutes before so we had front row seats.

I had been planning on going since Chambers Bay was announced and it was a real treat. Everything went great, except for not enough sun tan lotion. Played golf Wednesday in between. I'll be finishing the tournament on Fox Sports. Anyhoo, there you go.

Whoa, more of these posts please! Great inside info.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I definitely think the move to the PGA Tour is a struggle for a number of Euros.

For example Gonzalo Fernandez Castaño was a top fifty player in the world but his game has plummeted since moving to the states.

Colsaerts the same if I'm not mistaken. But also back in Europe he's still not performing now...

~Jorrit

Stenson saying it's like putting on the surface of the moon lololol!!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Stenson says these greens are like putting on broccoli. I don't care who you are... That's funny!

[quote name="saturday" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1080_40#post_1157546"]Stenson saying it's like putting on the surface of the moon lololol!![/quote] Henrik Stenson is a golfing treasure.

Riley

When I went to practice on Wednesday, The thing that struck me was how nice and easy the pros swing. (Except for Tiger) they hit it far with easy, effortless swings. TEMPO!

Yeah it looks that way because things are working in sequence.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That's me. I like Patrick Reed I think Chambers bay is a goat pasture, and I have always been a fan of Tiger Woods. I do however, hate the Maple Leafs and have cheered for the Browns and Indians low these many years.

[quote name="RJH999" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1080_40#post_1157511"]Amateur Nick Hardy will need to make a bogey on his last hole if the guys at +5 want to play the weekend which includes: Webb Simpson, Colin Montgomerie, Sergio Garcia, Angel Cabrera, Camilo Villegas, and Ian Poulter.

Nick Hardy fails to make par! So these 6, among others WILL play the weekend.[/quote] It crossed my mind if Jason Day withdrew Saturday morning (if he realized his vertigo wasn't improved enough), and if that changed the Top 60, would they scramble to include more players? There's probably a cutoff of Friday to set the Saturday schedule.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!