IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't like Reed, but good lord hopefully he, Spieth or DJ win this. After those three, this leaderboard is BORING until you go far down, save Day or Stenson.

Agree, it's kind of a disappointing leaderboard, although I did predict this was going to happen while praying I'd be wrong. What happened was a lot of the "Cinderella" names got the benefit of the good tee time yesterday and played well. There was a big disparity between morning and afternoon yesterday. The p.m. played extremely tough while the morning was there for the taking after the overnight rain.

I really do think someone from the top 3 will end up taking this, though. I'm really hoping Spieth because it would make for a great story going into St. Andrew's with a guy having a chance at the Grand Slam. Haven't seen that very much in history (only once in my lifetime). I think I'd rather have Branden Grace or Joost Luiten take this thing over Patrick Reed. That's how much I really don't want to see Reed win. Imagine the interview after. Forget top-5...he'll call himself #1.

Interesting hearing John Cook rip CB greens, but more so rip the USGA and Mike Davis for not being prepared. Totally agree. Its like Davis spent all of his time with changing pars on 18 and other stupid shit that he forgot the fact the greens blow. Spieth said 18 is the worst hole he ever played lol.

Its sad this is all people are talking about. It should not be the focus, but the pink elephant in the room cannot be ignore.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Wow Gary Player going off right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisP

Star power at the top is losing its luster. Getting the David summerhays, Branden Grace's, joist lootens and Ben Martins moving up to the top

Don't be hating on the Clemson/Greenville boy haha.  He's a solid player.

It's crazy how he has improved.  He was never a really good junior golfer (as in not one of the top 5 in the state), and only started being recruited by Clemson late in his HS career.  Then at Clemson he wasn't a guy expected to play much early on, but continued to improve.  One of his strengths is that he misses small.

I'm becoming a big Ben Martin fan. He is comfortable in press conferences, good natured, with a MattKuchar/BrandtSnedeker "aww shucks" personality. If he's a big name in golf for the years ahead, I'd be good with that as he looks like can be tough in competition with the big guns, and his personality comes through as you watch him play and conduct interviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atb5079

Interesting hearing John Cook rip CB greens, but more so rip the USGA and Mike Davis for not being prepared. Totally agree. Its like Davis spent all of his time with changing pars on 18 and other stupid shit that he forgot the fact the greens blow. Spieth said 18 is the worst hole he ever played lol.

Its sad this is all people are talking about. It should not be the focus, but the pink elephant in the room cannot be ignore.

"Live From..." show on Golf Channel was pretty tough on the fescue greens (Chamblee, Nobilo, Duval) last night. Brandel took his lumps for making incorrect comments about possible grasses they could've used, but they made a good case that the issues we are seeing should've been avoided.

They were also critical of the shifting of pars of 1 and 18 between Thursday/Friday.  Duval made a good point I hadn't heard:  the reason we have the Thursday/Friday with shifting AM/PM tee times is so that they each play the same course under different daytime conditions. By shifting the course so significantly between Thursday/Friday, the morning group Friday plays a different course than the Thursday morning group did. That introduces another element of chance that is unnecessary.

Nobilo mentioned that Royal Melbourne has a "composite" course that is extremely flexible in its configuration (and world renowned for the flexibility), but that they never alter a course configuration during a tournament (other than the normal tweaks).

The idea of shifting the course par configuration around was unanimously panned with the panel. No mincing words there.

Nobilo concluded with "Hey, I'm glad all these issues are out there now. We've talked about them, so let's get on with the tournament now and not let the course be the story." Or words to that effect. Bring on the Saturday action.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ChrisP

If memory serves me correct. You have not been happy with a leaderboard yet this year?

I don't know if your memory is serving you correct, but yes, it does seem that ChrisP is more often negative about the leaderboards every week.

How can anyone be upset with Spieth, Reed, and DJ on top? Especially as an American. This is the future of American golf on top of the US Open leaderboard...

Enjoy it people.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Yeah..just caught the end of that. And...i am going to have to call him a idiot....

I think his whole argument about 7,800 yards and the amount of water they need to water all that grass...I think he is dumb for that.

But I do agree with him about CB and being public and not fun/fair for amateur golfers.

I'm becoming a big Ben Martin fan. He is comfortable in press conferences, good natured, with a MattKuchar/BrandtSnedeker "aww shucks" personality. If he's a big name in golf for the years ahead, I'd be good with that as he looks like can be tough in competition with the big guns, and his personality comes through as you watch him play and conduct interviews.

"Live From..." show on Golf Channel was pretty tough on the fescue greens (Chamblee, Nobilo, Duval) last night. Brandel took his lumps for making incorrect comments about possible grasses they could've used, but they made a good case that the issues we are seeing should've been avoided.

They were also critical of the shifting of pars of 1 and 18 between Thursday/Friday.  Duval made a good point I hadn't heard:  the reason we have the Thursday/Friday with shifting AM/PM tee times is so that they each play the same course under different daytime conditions. By shifting the course so significantly between Thursday/Friday, the morning group Friday plays a different course than the Thursday morning group did. That introduces another element of chance that is unnecessary.

Nobilo mentioned that Royal Melbourne has a "composite" course that is extremely flexible in its configuration (and world renowned for the flexibility), but that they never alter a course configuration during a tournament (other than the normal tweaks).

The idea of shifting the course par configuration around was unanimously panned with the panel. No mincing words there.

Nobilo concluded with "Hey, I'm glad all these issues are out there now. We've talked about them, so let's get on with the tournament now and not let the course be the story." Or words to that effect. Bring on the Saturday action.

Yeah, really enjoy Nobilo's take on just about everything. Earlier Gary Williams asked Gary Player, "who would be more to blame Mike Davis and the USGA or Robert Trent Jones?". Player said RTJ. I would have to disagree with that. I think this falls on Davis.

I think there has just been too much bitching (myself well included) from too many fans, analysts and players for a bunch of different reasons that CB will be a one and done. Just hope Erin Hills in a few years isn't like this. I'll admit I know virtually nothing about Erin Hills, but it appears along these lines.

ChrisP If memory serves me correct. You have not been happy with a leaderboard yet this year?

Memory serves you wrong. The only one I knocked was the Players round 3. I actually posted that the majors leaderboards the last 3 years have been outstanding, as have a majority of the leaderboards this year, but was expecting this one to be a little bit more "suprising" because so many top players were coming in in poor form. So honestly, I'm not surprised. Happy with the course and the tourney so far, though, even if some of the cream isn't at the top (besides Jordan and DJ).

Chambers is NOT unfair to amateurs. It's not nearly as fast as it is now and is very green. I shot 83 when I was a 7 handicap two years ago. Tough, but fair and very fun. I actually don't remember the walk being brutal either.

I went to Thursdays round of the US Open and the following is my experience and my opinion of the USGA (my forum name gives that away). The logistics of getting there, traffic etc was outstanding. The people/volunteers were extemely friendly. The weather and the backdrop of the water was beautiful. That's where the good stuff ends. The place is under construction. Walkways unfinished and unless you get in one of the grandstands there isn't much golf going to be seen. The USGA has it roped off and the hills make it to where if you actually see a golfer hit a shot, you have to wait and listen for clapping in the distance to know if it was a good shot. Even Phil M commented that his wife couldn't follow him. The USGA crapped on the fans IMO. But based on my few times to correspond with them in the past, it shouldn't have surprised me as they responded in an incredibly arrogant and condescending way. I had a free ticket offered for Saturdays round but politely turned it down because I have a rule that if I go to a golf tournament I prefer to be able to see golf being played. Again, the area around the course is truly beautiful. It would be a great place to see some golf. Rant over. Have a great day.

They have Jordan Spieth chastising himself after he played 18 (his 9th):

"That was the dumbest hole I've ever played in my life. That was so dumb. Unbelievably stupid. It's not "

That was carnage for the leader at that point. Let's see how he recovers on his back nine.

I hate to quote myself but I totally misinterpreted this yesterday. I thought he was chastising himself. Now I realize he was talking about the course. He said this:

"This is the dumbest hole I've ever played in my life. This is so dumb. Unbelievably stupid. It's not a PAR 4. "

That changes the context, and he was calling out Mike Davis by having this caught on mic. Don't know why I missed that, and I thought he was just mumbling to himself for playing the hole wrong.

Memory serves you wrong. The only one I knocked was the Players round 3. I actually posted that the majors leaderboards the last 3 years have been outstanding, as have a majority of the leaderboards this year, but was expecting this one to be a little bit more "suprising" because so many top players were coming in in poor form. So honestly, I'm not surprised. Happy with the course and the tourney so far, though, even if some of the cream isn't at the top (besides Jordan and DJ).

The talking heads said a few times early in the week that this course would bring the top players of the world to the top. You have to be experienced to keep your cool on a course like this. Lots of heads nodding. Yes, this would be a great leaderboard, and it will be rare to see an relatively untested/unknown player sniffing the top of the leaderboard late Saturday or Sunday.  Whaddya know- wrong! It seems like it will be pretty much like any other major, where there's a normal dispersion of the big names and lesser knowns.

For what it's worth, here is the bottom of the leaderboard as it stands this Saturday morning. Pretty big names!!

Edit: Oops, that was my "Favorites". Duh.  No wonder they were all big names.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The talking heads said a few times early in the week that this course would bring the top players of the world to the top. You have to be experienced to keep your cool on a course like this. Lots of heads nodding. Yes, this would be a great leaderboard, and it will be rare to see an relatively untested/unknown player sniffing the top of the leaderboard late Saturday or Sunday.  Whaddya know- wrong! It seems like it will be pretty much like any other major, where there's a normal dispersion of the big names and lesser knowns.

Yeah, I didn't agree with the talking heads who said the top players would come to the top. The simple fact is the top players in the world haven't been playing well of late with the exception of a few. Reed and Stenson's performances are actually surprising because they came in a bit cold. But we've been very lucky to have leaderboards like we've had the last few years. The Masters was all stars in the mix. The PGA last year came down to Rory, Phil, Fowler and Stenson in the end. The British came down to Rory, Fowler and Sergio. The 2013 Open Championship still goes down as the best leaderboard I've ever seen from a star perspective. So we're due for a somewhat "surprising" leaderboard....although I still think in the end, one of those top 3 guys will be holding the trophy on Sunday.

I'm really hoping Jordan can win because golf needs a great story right now, particuarly with Tiger struggling the way he is. And Jordan going into St. Andrew's with a shot at the Grand Slam would be great for golf. And he'd have to go in as one of the favorites given the way he contends every week.

I am rooting for DJ!!!!!!!!!!

I would not mind seeing P Reed win either. Then he would have his "one" major, and fade away.

I am not impressed with either the course, or the Fox coverage. Keep Norman, but hire a few tour pros that know what they are talking about. They need a team similar to Golf Channel. Not really sure what Holly is trying to do. Also, stop the re-cap video with the pros. They looked and sounded uncomfortable.

I do like the "ball tracker" illustration. Helps to follow the ball, otherwise you could not see it at all!!!!

Not sure what to think about CB yet. ONE round of lower scores do not make a tournament. I do not see it being a fair test, especially around the greens. I think the greens should all be the same grass. And never, ever again change the PAR on starting or finishing holes. That was a wrong decision.

Gotta admit, G Player loves to give his opinion!!!!!

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!