IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Gary Players rant was a bit over the top but I don't completely disagree with him. This is one of four Majors which get higher viewership than other weekly tournaments with a higher number of casual or new golf fans tuning in.  While some better golfers may find the course difficulty exciting or different, it's not in line with what the USGA wants to promote to encourage more people to take up the sport.

I disagree. Casual fans are not tuning in to the U.S. Open either unless Tiger Woods is winning/contending, or significantly fewer casual fans for the likes of Mickelson, McIlroy, etc. More golfers will watch the U.S. Open, but casual fans aren't tuning in much more than they tune in to a regular PGA Tour event.

Furthermore, "brown" is what the USGA wants to promote. It's not entirely about encouraging people to take up the sport, but to encourage those who play the sport already to accept changes.

As someone who's played golfer for 3 years I have no interest in playing CB but know enough about golf to realize that CB is not representative of golf courses in the US.

I want to play it more than ever before. More than I did after watching the U.S. Amateur there. A LOT of the slightly more serious golfers I know have expressed similar feelings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Silence by the fans or the broadcasters? Cause I'll take a muzzle on Joe and Greg however I can get it.

Broadcasters. I don't like those guys at all either, but it's just dead air and that is so off-putting. Also, Brad Faxon has been bad too.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Can they please show the players playing!!!

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Chambers Bay: Par 72

Blue: 5278 (ladies w/ under 200 yd drives) - rating 71.5 slope 128

White: 6015 (ladies w/ drives of 200 - 225 yds) - rating 76.2 slope 137

Cost to play: $169 - they can keep it. It's hot, and you're blasted by the sun in that cove for the entire round from July - September.

My tax dollars at work.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Despite my distaste for CB, I will say, the buzz this year around the US Open seems huge.

Last year was just boring; albeit Pinehurst isn't my favorite course either. Whether you love it or hate it, nobody can claim they are bored this year.

No, let's see some more banal panel discussion for four hours.

I don't think I've seen that clip of Jordan saying dumb and stupid enough. Can we get MOAR!?!!?!?!

• Administrator
My tax dollars at work.

Your tax dollars brought an event to the course that are bringing millions of dollars to the area.

And the course doesn't seem to need your $169 - they seem to sell the vast majority of their tee times.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I disagree. Casual fans are not tuning in to the U.S. Open either unless Tiger Woods is winning/contending, or significantly fewer casual fans for the likes of Mickelson, McIlroy, etc. More golfers will watch the U.S. Open, but casual fans aren't tuning in much more than they tune in to a regular PGA Tour event.

Furthermore, "brown" is what the USGA wants to promote. It's not entirely about encouraging people to take up the sport, but to encourage those who play the sport already to accept changes.

I want to play it more than ever before. More than I did after watching the U.S. Amateur there. A LOT of the slightly more serious golfers I know have expressed similar feelings.

I don't have an issue with brown, I have issue with a course that penalizes what most would consider a good golf shot.  I can fully understand why someone at your level or even near single digit handicap would want to play it but bogey or higher handicappers would get slaughtered on this course.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Hell yeah Rory -2 so far today.

Some people playing some really awful golf... Camilo Villegas +5 thru 10 Angel Cabrera +5 thru 12 Jim Furyk, shockingly awful +6 thru 7.

Riley

• Administrator

I don't have an issue with brown, I have issue with a course that penalizes what most would consider a good golf shot.  I can fully understand why someone at your level or even near single digit handicap would want to play it but bogey or higher handicappers would get slaughtered on this course.

Quite simply, then it wasn't a good shot.

There's nothing wrong with you not wanting to play it. I don't particularly care to play at a local course named Green Meadows. It's pretty open and pretty easy. Boring. Not a challenge. You can have Green Meadows, and I'll play Chambers Bay. Deal?

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!