IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Something tells me the fourth-to-last pairing of Holmes and Lowry is going to play a factor in the outcome tomorrow. I sense a low number being posted from that group.
  • Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

You won't agree because you don't like him, but the grand slam was achieved by Tiger IMO. He held all four major titles and won them consecutively. The "within a calendar year" thing is an odd limiter to place on things. It's probably tougher to win them over a 10 month span than it is to win them over a five-month span.

Probably have me confused with someone else as far as "not liking Tiger." I like Tiger, the golfer at least. I root for him when he's out there...I can be critical of him, but who isn't nowadays. I'm just not head over heels in love with him like some posters on this forum are....as if Tiger's the only one that matters and no one else. But I would like to see someone do the traditional slam. I do tend to agree that Tiger achieved the "Grand Slam," even it's not the traditional way of doing it (which is why I put quotes around it). I don't know if he could do it in today's day and age where I think the fields are stronger, but that's a debate for another day. Phil should have gotten 3/4 of the way there in 2006, but screwed up royally on 18 at Winged Foot.

• Upvote 1

The way this tournament is progressing, no one is going to get out in front and coast to the title. It could easily go back and forth until the final group plays the final hole.

Monday playoff, anybody?

Yep, Spieth and Day.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

The way this tournament is progressing, no one is going to get out in front and coast to the title. It could easily go back and forth until the final group plays the final hole.

Monday playoff, anybody?

Yep, Spieth and Day.

I don't think Jason Day would relish the thought of having to stay upright for an additional round.  It looks like he might have a tough enough time just making it through tomorrow.

It wouldn't disappoint me to see either of them win.  I lean toward Spieth on one hand because it would be cool to see him get his second step toward the Grand Slam, but on the other hand I lean toward Day just for his perseverance and guts.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

You won't agree because you don't like him, but the grand slam was achieved by Tiger IMO. He held all four major titles and won them consecutively. The "within a calendar year" thing is an odd limiter to place on things. It's probably tougher to win them over a 10 month span than it is to win them over a five-month span.

I agree.

You could argue--since scores are so tied to current form--that winning four over a 9 1/2 month period is more difficult than winning four over a 4 1/2 month period.

EDIT--Lol.  I typed my post before I read the end of yours.

"Witty golf quote."

Looks like it will be a good finish with potentially 10 or more with a chance to win. I'll say E to +1 has a chance.

Seems improbable that someone at +1 has a shot? They would have to go out and shoot 65 while all 4 leaders fail to shoot par? I have to think someone in the leaders group will come through to win. I'm obviously pulling for DJ to get his first major.

If JDay wins, and I hope he does, it's got to top the 08 U.S. Open win Tiger had on the brokenish leg.. too bold a statement? Bring on the fan clubs!!!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Did Ben Martin really shoot 86, or am I trippin'?

EDIT: With a 9 AND an 8?!!

Delusions of grandeur.....He thinks he's Tiger Woods.

Yeah, this a first in his career for him. I don't yet know what happened, but he lost his game and it escalated incredibly. He missed 3 fairways and  3 greens in his first 2 rounds and tripled that that in one round Saturday. He didn't respond to adversity like a seasoned pro and let it escalate. On this course when you give up, it will continue to punish you until you escape the 18th.

I feel bad for him.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

Only 1 day to go for this terrible Golf Course. A shame to be nominated as  the 2015 US Open. Oakmont Country Club is having a party right now, what could be worse than this dump ? Sorry quarry.

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

Only 1 day to go for this terrible Golf Course. A shame to be nominated as  the 2015 US Open. Oakmont Country Club is having a party right now, what could be worse than this dump ? Sorry quarry.

And yet it's provided a far more interesting and closer championship than Pinehurst did. Granted, that's partly due to Kaymer's excellence, but we've got a seriously open final day and a course that is doing what the US Open is renowned for doing - playing with the players' minds and testing their patience. Also, I quite like not seeing them hacking out sideways every time they miss a tiny fairway. No, it's not perfect, but I think people are going massively overboard with the criticism.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

If JDay wins, and I hope he does, it's got to top the 08 U.S. Open win Tiger had on the brokenish leg.. too bold a statement? Bring on the fan clubs!!!

I don't think that's true. Vertigo is really bad but I think that Tiger's was probably more difficult. Besides the leg fractures he had no ACL in his knee. Pretty daunting task.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125348/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125350/] [/URL]

Oh, that's what that was--insight. [quote name="saturday" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1280_20#post_1158015"]If JDay wins, and I hope he does, it's got to top the 08 U.S. Open win Tiger had on the brokenish leg.. too bold a statement? Bring on the fan clubs!!![/quote] http://thesandtrap.com/t/82732/greater-u-s-open-victory-tiger-leg-vs-day-vertigo/0_20#post_1157968

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

And yet it's provided a far more interesting and closer championship than Pinehurst did. Granted, that's partly due to Kaymer's excellence, but we've got a seriously open final day and a course that is doing what the US Open is renowned for doing - playing with the players' minds and testing their patience. Also, I quite like not seeing them hacking out sideways every time they miss a tiny fairway. No, it's not perfect, but I think people are going massively overboard with the criticism.

This is true. However the we are running the risk here of the story becoming the course and the TV coverage. That would be a shame and was avoidable.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuttsLefty

What is that bunker/barn looking building off the tee at 18?  This course has some beautiful vistas but that thing is a blight to the landscape.

The buildings on the right are old out buildings from when it was a quarry. Being there and seeing them, they actually look better than you would expect and if I remember correctly there is a large hospitality area ( Rainier Village ?) set amongst them, the old structure hides a lot of this hospitality area from view.

and it beats the heck out of the the back of hotel buildings and tacky mcmansions that border several of the holes at Pebble.

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!