IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Seems" is the key word there.  Right after that picture was taken, he punched that kid right in the ear for daring to soil his trophy with his grubby peasant hands.

And then gave him the double middle finger. (no, that is not a photoshop, look it up)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

You'd be wrong. The course looked great. To judge the course because how the USGA set it up is just short sited idiocy in my opinion. How can a person judge a course based on looking at it under the most extreme course set up conditions possible by the USGA? Honestly you can't. Basically you are condemning the course because of the USGA not Chambers Bay itself. If you are going to judge a course then judge the course, not the USGA set up.

How else would you expect to review the course without going there.  That's my impression from watching it on TV for 4 days (not sure it makes me an idiot, opinions vary on that account), but you go pay $299 to play and let me know how it is.  If you think the course looked great.....not even going to go there.

agree - that course would scare me to death.    I hate hitting out of the heavy rough more than anything in golf ... that place would be like purgatory golf to me ... no thanks.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last year, they whined about Pinehurst #2.  It was "brown".  We hadn't had a lot of rain, and they didn't water it a lot for the Open.  This year, we've had a lot of rain and it's very green right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Gonna call you Mr. Short Term Memory ;). 10 minutes before Dustin had his 15' eagle putt Jordan had a 20 footer.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

During the telecast I think they said average is 29 putts per round and at the U.S. Open it was 33.

But that number is easily skewed… green sizes, the big mounds making even two putting from long range difficult, etc.

The Strokes Gained putting stuff is pretty compelling, if accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I didn't know there was a sale at the merchandise tent Monday. Anyone who has been to the USO, did you notice if there was a merchandise tent sale the day after?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

DJ's eagle putt was 12'8". I could have sworn Jordan's eagle putt was in the 30-34' range?? Was it really only 20'?

It's all out there on the website. The video of the 3W and putt is available.

Regardless ... the sole point of my post was to say that Jordan Spieth was VERY capable of reaching that green in two.

I didn't know there was a sale at the merchandise tent Monday. Anyone who has been to the USO, did you notice if there was a merchandise tent sale the day after?

I've so far only been in 2008, so I would guess that on Monday there was no need for a sale since there was a lot of golf still being played. :beer: Then again, the fans were all fans who didn't know they were going to be there that day when they left the course the previous time, so maybe they did put stuff on sale to entice those people (who likely already bought all of the souvenirs that they wanted) to buy more. :-P

Either way, it was an incredible 3wood. To hit it 275 yards and within 5 yards of the hole in that situation and under that pressure is unreal. DJ only had about 220 and a 5 iron in his hand. And only got it 4' closer than Jordan. Up until the final 2 putts, both DJ and Jordan played the 18th in amazing fashion.

Either way, it was an incredible 3wood. To hit it 275 yards and within 5 yards of the hole in that situation and under that pressure is unreal. DJ only had about 220 and a 5 iron in his hand. And only got it 4' closer than Jordan. Up until the final 2 putts, both DJ and Jordan played the 18th in amazing fashion.

DJ had 247, not 220

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

DJ's eagle putt was 12'8". I could have sworn Jordan's eagle putt was in the 30-34' range?? Was it really only 20'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

It's all out there on the website. The video of the 3W and putt is available.

Regardless ... the sole point of my post was to say that Jordan Spieth was VERY capable of reaching that green in two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I've so far only been in 2008, so I would guess that on Monday there was no need for a sale since there was a lot of golf still being played.    Then again, the fans were all fans who didn't know they were going to be there that day when they left the course the previous time, so maybe they did put stuff on sale to entice those people (who likely already bought all of the souvenirs that they wanted) to buy more.

@Golfingdad , In 2008, how did they make tickets for the Monday playoff available? I would just assume online and at the gate. Or free?

Steve

@Golfingdad, In 2008, how did they make tickets for the Monday playoff available? I would just assume online and at the gate. Or free?

Free to anybody who had a ticket to Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  (I had Friday tickets)

I should have just done it, but decided that I needed to work and that the crowds would probably be nuts considering there were only two players.

If that were to happen again (I'd like to go back in 2021, and in 2023 at LACC) I think I'll go.  I'll just rent the headset or whatever they offer to listen/watch the tournament and play leapfrog and watch them live every 2 or 3 holes. :beer:

MyrtlebeachGolf, couldn't agree more. Those two approach shots on 18 were unbelievable under that much pressure. Both were a foot or so from reading the junk at the back of the green and both held the upper tier. Crazy. :-D

agree - that course would scare me to death.    I hate hitting out of the heavy rough more than anything in golf ... that place would be like purgatory golf to me ... no thanks.

I spent a while on Chambers 7th off the fairway ropes and in the stands. Awesome hole to watch and one of the smoothest greens without poa. One of the regulars said that the fairway was much narrower for the open. They let the fairway on the far side turn to rough to make it harder to not run through. A ton of players were hitting approaches to 7 uphill from the rough as a result. I loved it, because it made it so challenging, but the pros probably weren't so pleased.... Not sure what else was changed other than length and firmness, but it's probably a lot greener and easier normally. Navy tees - 75.6 / 139 - 7,165 yds Sand tees - 72.4 / 135 - 6,513 yds White tees - 70.2 / 127 - 6,015 yds Not bad. My home courses play 133/136 off the blues and 140+ off the blacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

I spent a while on Chambers 7th off the fairway ropes and in the stands. Awesome hole to watch and one of the smoothest greens without poa.

One of the regulars said that the fairway was much narrower for the open. They let the fairway on the far side turn to rough to make it harder to not run through. A ton of players were hitting approaches to 7 uphill from the rough as a result. I loved it, because it made it so challenging, but the pros probably weren't so pleased....

Not sure what else was changed other than length and firmness, but it's probably a lot greener and easier normally.

Navy tees - 75.6 / 139 - 7,165 yds

Sand tees - 72.4 / 135 - 6,513 yds

White tees - 70.2 / 127 - 6,015 yds

Not bad. My home courses play 133/136 off the blues and 140+ off the blacks.

Thanks for the insight.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/6/24/billy-horschel-apologizes-for-his-us-open-antics.html

At the Travelers Championship, Horschel apologized and also revealed that he had a long chat with Mike Davis to explain his views.

ESPN.com's Jason Sobel reports.

"We talked about my comments; he totally understood them," Horschel said of the conversation. "He admitted that the greens weren't what they wanted and he was sorry for that. He knew the greens were at a level that the USGA wasn't happy with and said that if they ever go back there, they know what to do."

Their conversation lasted "about 15-20 minutes" and never got contentious. In fact, Horschel suggested that it was just the opposite, two men having a respectful discussion with each understanding the other's viewpoint a little better afterward.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

An article with some interesting and insightful stats about the greens at Chambers Bay: http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/one-more-thing-about-the-green.html

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!