IGNORED

Christine Brennan writes horrible Masters column about Spieth and Woods for some reason

Aguirre
Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

wow, messianic - that's what you got out of the article? me - I just got that he's a respectful young man - to the game of golf, to the fans, to his opponents - where was the messianic part if you don't mind sharing the quote - I believe you're reading way too much into an article about a new champion exhibiting proper sportsmanship.

When you try to imply that his win somehow transcends its actual significance as the article does than yeah messianic like status is not a leap when it was obviously written in metaphor. Curious that you have so much dislike for this one person when so many great past and present players have had similar stories.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, TW doesn't anything about adultery, does he? [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/117634/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/117635/] [/URL]

You must have a boring hate filled life to have this much anger towards a complete stranger. Or is your real name Sergio?

No need to bring Arnie into this.

Arnie was a dog. Constantly cheating on his beloved Winnie. The tales his peers could tell...... But Arnie is the king. Guess that you get the benefit when you do not look or win like Tiger Woods. I think @Rick Martin just needs to pretend Tiger is a white dude and he will be okay. Most of the guys on the PGA Tour cheat on their wives. They are wealthy and on the road in strange cities away from their wives. They are men. Seen it first hand and if you think not you are kidding yourself. I will add that I never heard this about Nicklaus but most guys then and now are looking for a new hole to play all the time. Also I have heard Jordan Spieth swear. Nobody nearby cared.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

The article misses the point that Jordan and Tiger are two different people who, of course handle things very differently. Are there valid criticisms of Tiger in the 20 years we've known him? sure. But this article throws Tiger under the bus and elevates Spieth to a point that borders on the sublime. I expect after reading this that Tiger is twirling his moustache in wherever he lives now and say "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design!" When in fact comparing Tiger to Jordan Spieth is apples to oranges. Very different people, temperaments and approaches to the game of golf. But neither invalid. Seems like the old rivalry between Jack and Arnie. Arnie was more fan friendly and Jack was a more into himself competitor. Both elevated the game in their own way. Writing like this article assumes that only one point of view is correct. And that is very incorrect.

—Adam

The article misses the point that Jordan and Tiger are two different people

Precisely.....absent violating someone else's rights, I just don't understand anyone making judgments about how others act and/or live their lives......I personally think it shows a lack of enlightenment

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Yeah, TW doesn't anything about adultery, does he?

That's the point right. Tom Watson has done just as bad things as Tiger of the course, yet you love Watson and hate Tiger. Begs to wonder why?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Arnie was a dog. Constantly cheating on his beloved Winnie. The tales his peers could tell......

...Nothing to do with this thread. I shouldn't have to ask someone to not unnecessarily tarnish the king's name in a thread that has nothing to do with him

I think @Rick Martin just needs to pretend Tiger is a white dude and he will be okay.

I'm sure Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton are race baiting on msnbc right now if you're looking for something else to do. Folks are entitled to not like TW without being accused of racism.

I agree with others though that there was no need to bring TW into this article. You can say good things about Spieth without trashing Tiger.

...Nothing to do with this thread. I shouldn't have to ask someone to not unnecessarily tarnish the king's name in a thread that has nothing to do with him

It has nothing to do with Tom Watson, either, but if someone is going to put him on a pedestal for his "gentlemanly" character traits and berate Tiger who shares the same character flaw, you might as well go right to the top to Arnie, whose character flaws people seem to ignore.

To criticize one person for doing something while idolizing others who have done the same things is just pathetic. If moral high ground was really the reason to dislike Tiger, then the same dislike should be extended to both Mr. Watson and Mr. Palmer.

The Jordan Spieth and Tiger Woods comparisons are unavoidable, for obvious reasons.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It has nothing to do with Tom Watson, either, but if someone is going to put him on a pedestal for his "gentlemanly" character traits and berate Tiger who shares the same character flaw, you might as well go right to the top to Arnie, whose character flaws people seem to ignore.

To criticize one person for doing something while idolizing others who have done the same things is just pathetic. If moral high ground was really the reason to dislike Tiger, then the same dislike should be extended to both Mr. Watson and Mr. Palmer.

Alright, whatever then. Whether its Tiger, Tom, or Arnie, I don't really really care what they put where and I don't factor it into my opinion of how I feel about them.

I'm sure Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton are race baiting on msnbc right now if you're looking for something else to do. Folks are entitled to not like TW without being accused of racism.

I agree with others though that there was no need to bring TW into this article. You can say good things about Spieth without trashing Tiger.

But without Tiger, you do not evoke controversy.

Ergo, enter the Tiger...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

But without Tiger, you do not evoke controversy.

Ergo, enter the Tiger...

True enough. It's gotten all of us to read it so I guess she got what she wanted.

I read the article provided in the link and found nothing wrong with the article.  I am a Tiger fan and really like Jordan.  The on course microphones add to the televised experience for me.  I do think that the pros need to tone down  the language a bit.  Our sport is loosing participants, so we don't need any bad publicity.  Also golf courses will come under attack in the future for using too much water(global warming).  All the touring pros need to be an ambassador for the game.  In this area, Tiger has come up short.

I read the article provided in the link and found nothing wrong with the article.  I am a Tiger fan and really like Jordan.  The on course microphones add to the televised experience for me.  I do think that the pros need to tone down  the language a bit.  Our sport is loosing participants, so we don't need any bad publicity.  Also golf courses will come under attack in the future for using too much water(global warming).  All the touring pros need to be an ambassador for the game.  In this area, Tiger has come up short.

Don't worry, I pointed out some major things wrong with article for you.

Anyway, despite his flaws, I'd say Tiger has done as much for the game of golf as anybody.  I don't see how this could even be in dispute.  I don't think his swearing is going to hurt the game, it's just rude.  I swear all the time, but if I get paired with strangers, I don't.  In a way, Tiger and other pros are playing with millions of strangers, so they should adjust their language.  But the in the end, I love it when Tiger drops an f bomb.

"Witty golf quote."

As a global golf ambassador, no one matches Tiger Woods.  If he's in the field, the stands are jammed.  If he's home, tickets are given away.  And one cannot dismiss his skin color as most of the world is not white skinned, so many folks can identify with him.

Really . .we should stop digging into every aspect of an athlete's life.  I'm sure Jordan Spieth is a great guy but I'm pretty sure he's human, too.  Let's pretend, just for a second, that he is the "Next Tiger Woods".  Will he hold up to the scrutiny of constant media attention, cameras following everywhere, people tweeting every time he says so much as "dammit", golf analysts detailing every aspect of his game and life (or complaining that they have no access)?  Can anybody?  Should anybody have to?

Yes, Tiger Woods should graciously give his time to everybody that wants it.  He should never say bad words.  He should never get upset.  Because, after all, we *own* him and it's not fair to us that he should do anything we don't like or agree with.  For crying out loud - think of the children!

One of the prevalent notions in these golf threads is that somehow, the public now has the right to opine on golfers whole lives. Hero worship falls prey to digging up the most dirt.  To vilify someone  well known seems to fill a large portion of people's lives.   Good luck to Spieth after falling into  the public  fishbowl.  It has made more people unhappy than it does satisfy. For every Phil admirer, there are his detractors,  Tommy Bolt in the 1950's was a famous thrower of clubs and others curse like the ordinary men they were. Jimmy Demaret and others schmoozed their way through Hollywood and the stars male and female,   As mentioned, men on the road, well to do, time on their hands, don't always check out the Christian Science Reading Rooms.  Tiger should have made it clear to people to admire the game and quit fretting about what he or anyone does afterwards. We cannot possibly know their mental makeup or how they make it through the night.  And more importantly don't set them up on a pedestal. They don't deserve it and we don't need them.

That's the point right. Tom Watson has done just as bad things as Tiger of the course, yet you love Watson and hate Tiger. Begs to wonder why?

In the earlier post Watson was quoted as criticizing Woods for his on course antics. If he would have been criticizing him for his adultery, you and all the other knee-jerk TW defender fanboys would have a point.

Why don't you tell us why he dislikes TW? I think I get it. Does it fall along the same lines and accusations that were thrown at the ones in here that thought he should have been DQ'd in the Masters that year, which in fact over 50% of a poll of professionals agreed should have been the case? Racism is such an easy accusation to throw around when you've got nothing else.

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!