IGNORED

Christine Brennan writes horrible Masters column about Spieth and Woods for some reason

Aguirre
Note:Β This thread is 3265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I think she hates sexist, racist men. I don't see how you go from what she says in that article to "she hates men." Β Unless you think that all men are sexist and racist.

You said he was in shock ...

That is wrong.

Unlike you, I attempt not to pull posts from my colon area (based on your Β posts in this and the DufAmanda threads).

I live in the area, have friends who know him and have spoken as to his maturity and talent, and those that know him have been interviewed on theticket in Dallas, and described his obsession, that he dreamed of winning the Masters (and that dream was realistic), that he could not wait for this year's Masters because Β of the 2014 result, and expected to win (expected meaning he had the confidence and game to win). So as to your contention that he was in shock, you are incorrect.

In fact, he was in so muchΒ shock that he said he wants to be like Bubba and win another Green Jacket.

As to your questions, I read the article.

You taking an article from 14 years ago and taking it that the author is continuing her man-hating ways from a recent article, is a stretch.

While I would have not made that comparison, and it is not fair comparing eras, her comparison between Jordan and Tiger is more credible than your "stretch."

I respect someone taking the devil's advocates role, I've taken it to my regret, but be careful about going too far.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably because Couples and Faldo (and all the rest of the guys who are known to swear) aren't nearly as media-relevant as Tiger still is.

I will agree that Tiger is back in the limelight and therefore a point of focus in her article. He’s the easy target, plus she'll get some support from the people who don't care for Woods. Tiger’s win in 1997 was great for golf. Jordan’s win in 2015 was just a great win.

Seems likeΒ the articleΒ is written in mommy mode. Technically, nothing wrong with what she stated. I wonder why articles likeΒ these need to be written.

Vishal S.

Seems likeΒ the articleΒ is written in mommy mode. Technically, nothing wrong with what she stated. I wonder why articles likeΒ these need to be written.

Because too many people are paid to write about too little news. Β They have to generate content somehow.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, β€œexcept golfers."Β 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator

In the earlier post Watson was quoted as criticizing Woods for his on course antics. If he would have been criticizing him for his adultery, you and all the other knee-jerk TW defender fanboys would have a point.

FWIW, I've heard Tom Watson curse up a storm onΒ the golf course. There weren't too many fans around - it was an early morning tee time at the Senior PGA Championship - but he was not happy, and everyone nearby knew it.

And… I don't care. People swear. Not a big deal to me.

You can thank both Arnie and Tiger for the bottom line in this graphic - both had a huge share in popularizing the sport (and increasing prize money). But the comments by the columnist was more about sportsmanship and conduct on the course and a segment of the population tiring of TW's antics and lack of sportsmanship in a sport that is known for having manners.

What does Tiger do that shows poor sportsmanship, @Rick Martin , that virtually every other golfer doesn't do?

BTW, if your answer is "cursing," you're deluding yourself. I've heard long-time members of the PGA Tour's God Squad curse up a storm (apparently that phrase is going to be used frequently by me today :P). They don't often say "God dammit" or take $DEITY's name in vain, but everything else is in play.

Damn that uber-fist-pumping, how does one achieve uber-fist-pumping?

More importantly, where can I learn to ΓΌber-fist-pump?

#Robots

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

What does Tiger do that shows poor sportsmanship, @Rick Martin, that virtually every other golfer doesn't do?

Just posted this as off-topic in another thread, but it's on point here, so ... Β I was watching last nights replay of the 2000 Players where Tiger dueled Hal Sutton down the stretch (Tiger down 4 with 6 holes left, eagled 16 to pull within one and then traded pars on 17 and 18 to lose by a shot) and he showed very good sportsmanship down the stretch. Β (Not a surprise to me, but apparently to some here this does need to be pointed out) Β Here's my post from the other thread ...

I should have videotaped some of it ... there were a couple of moments at the end where the "uber fist pumping sore loser dickhead" (I'm paraphrasing) Tiger Woods gave sincere congratulations to a man that was in the process of beating him. Β Hal Sutton stuck his approach on 18 (I'm sure you've seen the replay - "Be the right club! ... Be the right club TODAY!") and then it showed Tiger walking up the fairway looking his direction trying to get his attention so he could say good shot and give him a thumbs up.

Then after Tiger missed his chip and Sutton 2 putted for the win, Tiger was the first to congratulate him, with a big smile, laugh, handshake and more than just a couple of words.

So out of character ... or at least the narrative that the haters are trying to spin.

• Upvote 1

You said he was in shock ... That is wrong. Unlike you, I attempt not to pull posts from my colon area (based on your Β posts in this and the DufAmanda threads). I live in the area, have friends who know him and have spoken as to his maturity and talent, and those that know him have been interviewed on theticket in Dallas, and described his obsession, that he dreamed of winning the Masters (and that dream was realistic), that he could not wait for this year's Masters because Β of the 2014 result, and expected to win (expected meaning he had the confidence and game to win). So as to your contention that he was in shock, you are incorrect. In fact, he was in so muchΒ shock that he said he wants to be like Bubba and win another Green Jacket. As to your questions, I read the article. You taking an article from 14 years ago and taking it that the author is continuing her man-hating ways from a recent article, is a stretch. While I would have not made that comparison, and it is not fair comparing eras, her comparison between Jordan and Tiger is more credible than your "stretch." I respect someone taking the devil's advocates role, I've taken it to my regret, but be careful about going too far.

I’m sorry, sir. I did not see this was directed toward me. Good point - I should be careful about not going too far, but in this case I have an actual story that speaks to this author. In 2002, I taught an evening sociology college class as a favor to a local university. Anyway, we had a golfer in class and he did a paper on Augusta National featuring Ms. Brennan’s article. I kid you not, we discussed that article for almost 2 hours. We had three women in class and all of them agreed Brennan had Hootie in the crosshairs because she didn’t like men. At the time, a good part of the class felt the Augusta National should let women in. The golfer and I, as well as 5 or 6 others contended it was a club’s choice to set up rules of membership. Brennan’s history throughout her career has always been a struggle against men. She should learn to write more objectively and not attack those counter to her point (Tiger).

In 2002, I taught an evening sociology college class as a favor to a local university.

No you did not. That or you are apparently a medical doctor, a psychologist, and a sociologist. A real Renaissance Man.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I’m sorry, sir. I did not see this was directed toward me. Good point - I should be careful about not going too far, but in this case I have an actual story that speaks to this author.

In 2002, I taught an evening sociology college class as a favor to a local university. Anyway, we had a golfer in class and he did a paper on Augusta National featuring Ms. Brennan’s article. I kid you not, we discussed that article for almost 2 hours. We had three women in class and all of them agreed Brennan had Hootie in the crosshairs because she didn’t like men. At the time, a good part of the class felt the Augusta National should let women in. The golfer and I, as well as 5 or 6 others contended it was a club’s choice to set up rules of membership.

Brennan’s history throughout her career has always been a struggle against men.

She should learn to write more objectively and not attack those counter to her point (Tiger).

Well, if you want to retain build any credibility, you ought to admit that you mis-spoke, were incorrect, are merely speculating, making a leap.

Don't know if Brennan is man-hating when she is Jordan-loving. She is contrasting styles and behavior and prefers one over another.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

because her POV promotes sportsmanship in the sport

you mean Tom Watson the adulterer? The guy who stole another Tour players wife?

Or maybe he meant Tom Watson the drunk. Β And that is not to say that Watson's personal failings in any way justify Tiger's, it just illustrates what a flaming hypocrite Watson is.

One of the issues I always had as a parent was that it was hard for me to come down hard on my kids for stuff that I did myself as a kid. Β Watson apparently has no such inhibitions.

I read the article provided in the link and found nothing wrong with the article. Β I am a Tiger fan and really like Jordan. Β The on course microphones add to the televised experience for me. Β I do think that the pros need to tone down Β the language a bit. Β Our sport is loosing participants, so we don't need any bad publicity. Β Also golf courses will come under attack in the future for using too much water(global warming). Β All the touring pros need to be an ambassador for the game. Β In this area, Tiger has come up short.

I don't think you can blame a loss of fans on Tiger's on-course behavior, given the fact that the increase in fandom occurred at exactly the same time that Tiger and his so-called bad on-course behavior was at the most visible

Besides the obvious garbage about TW, it really frustrates me to read this stuff that elevates Spieth's win to somethin more than it is.

It is classic thesis-antithesis. Β Whether Jordan himself is doing it intentionally or not (i'd guess not) , it is pretty clear that the media is positioning him as the behavioral anti-Tiger. Β He better not slip up, though, because the higher they raise him up the more vicious they will be if he turns out to be human like everyone else.

More importantly, where can I learn to ΓΌber-fist-pump?

You need to get the app. Β Then when you make a crucial shot you whip out the app and in just minutes a guy shows up to fist-pump for you. Β HIgh fives and fist-bumps are extra.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

because her POV promotes sportsmanship in the sport

Her version of sportsmanship. There is an article in Golf Digest (I believe last month) from an undercover (incognito in the article) tour pro about playing a round with Tiger. If you really want to be fair in judging Tiger from someone's POV, you should read. It is eye opening to say the least as to how much he really cares about his demeanor while playing with other players.Β There are multiple POVs directly fromΒ tour pro's who directly contradict with her implications.

Of course EVERYTHING anybody says can be chalked up to opinion,Β which is exactly whatΒ hers' is. Nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2013-11/undercover-pro-tour-life-playing-with-tiger

Vishal S.

Her version of sportsmanship. There is an article in Golf Digest (I believe last month) from an undercover (incognito in the article) tour pro about playing a round with Tiger. If you really want to be fair in judging Tiger from someone's POV, you should read. It is eye opening to say the least as to how much he really cares about his demeanor while playing with other players.Β There are multiple POVs directly fromΒ tour pro's who directly contradict with her implications.

Of course EVERYTHING anybody says can be chalked up to opinion,Β which is exactly whatΒ hers' is. Nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2013-11/undercover-pro-tour-life-playing-with-tiger

Sorry,

This is the article I meant to provide the link for: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2015-04/undercover-tour-pro

Vishal S.

Reading this thread makes me pine away for one thing, and one thing only..... a youtube video of Tom Watson where someone bleeps what he's saying to make it sound like he's swearing...please, please, please....

β€”Adam

Β 

Congrats, I think you all have given Ms Brennan exactly what she was looking for.

Yupp. Mommy wasΒ also grandstanding.

Vishal S.

Spieth appears to just be a puppet of his parents...

His dad told him to go thank the patrons, so he did... Β These aren't his instincts but his parents enforcement.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

Note:Β This thread is 3265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!