IGNORED

Jackie Gagne: Hole-in-One-Queen or Cheater?

Alex B
Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 members have voted

1. 1. Jacqueline Gagne: Cheater or Hole-in-One Queen

• Cheater
    • Queen

I keep trying to get a hole in one every round nowadays. Over the last 3 months, my average distance from the hole from 100 yards and in is slightly south of 5% of the shot distance. That's sick spread, if you're familiar with the stats. With most par-3s in the 150-210 range, that puts me 7 to 10 yards from the target. Since the target excludes sucker pins, that sets a lower bound on the distance from the pin. And still, playing 3 times a week for 3 months, hole in one count: 0 . Hitting it about as good as a human can possibly hit it, and 0 holes in one . I can't imagine keeping a spread going like that for several years and getting more than just a couple. I call big time BS on this lady.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

This old lady is a crock of shit. Just trying to save her 401k or something. I dont believe one word of it.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 8 years later...
On 10/7/2007 at 5:48 PM, TheNextBen said:

Obviously a cheater. That's just an outrageous claim.

The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

Firstly, what’s an opinion?

Plato distinguished between opinion or common belief (doxa) and certain knowledge, and that’s still a workable distinction today: unlike “1+1=2” or “there are no square circles,” an opinion has a degree of subjectivity and uncertainty to it. But “opinion” ranges from tastes or preferences, through views about questions that concern most people such as prudence or politics, to views grounded in technical expertise, such as legal or scientific opinions.

You can’t really argue about the first kind of opinion. I’d be silly to insist that you’re wrong to think strawberry ice cream is better than chocolate. The problem is that sometimes we implicitly seem to take opinions of the second and even the third sort to be unarguable in the way questions of taste are. Perhaps that’s one reason (no doubt there are others) why enthusiastic amateurs think they’re entitled to disagree with climate scientists and immunologists and have their views “respected.”

The media / Press is an authority on Jacqueline.  

So what does it mean to be “entitled” to an opinion?

If “Everyone’s entitled to their opinion” just means no-one has the right to stop people thinking and saying whatever they want.

But if ‘entitled to an opinion’ means ‘entitled to have your views treated as serious candidates for the truth’ then it’s pretty clearly false. And this too is a distinction that tends to get blurred.

Honesty  - If you tryst believe I had all these Hole In ones then I have to say - the moon is made of cheese! If I was such a great golfer would I be working a 9 - 5 job? I think not!

This bullshit follows me around everyday of my life. Job interviews, friends and I have lost family connections because of all the press. I can live my life as best I can knowing that I'm a good person and honest. Thanks to Barbara Kreedman who was so jealous of my successful business in the desert and my friendships made in the desert community she created this world of deceit.
There are statements online that lead you to believe the media quoted me - NOT TRUE

Did I have any of the hole in ones ? Absolutely! 
Did I have as many as the press and Kreedman stated I have - Not at all. If I could only be that good I would not have to go into a office everyday.
I posted this article above to point out opinions  - Yes its true everyone has one !

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JGagne said:

The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

Plato distinguished between opinion or common belief (doxa) and certain knowledge, and that’s still a workable distinction today: unlike “1+1=2” or “there are no square circles,” an opinion has a degree of subjectivity and uncertainty to it. But “opinion” ranges from tastes or preferences, through views about questions that concern most people such as prudence or politics, to views grounded in technical expertise, such as legal or scientific opinions.

You can’t really argue about the first kind of opinion. I’d be silly to insist that you’re wrong to think strawberry ice cream is better than chocolate. The problem is that sometimes we implicitly seem to take opinions of the second and even the third sort to be unarguable in the way questions of taste are. Perhaps that’s one reason (no doubt there are others) why enthusiastic amateurs think they’re entitled to disagree with climate scientists and immunologists and have their views “respected.”

If “Everyone’s entitled to their opinion” just means no-one has the right to stop people thinking and saying whatever they want.

But if ‘entitled to an opinion’ means ‘entitled to have your views treated as serious candidates for the truth’ then it’s pretty clearly false. And this too is a distinction that tends to get blurred.

Honesty  - If you tryst believe I had all these Hole In ones then I have to say - the moon is made of cheese! If I was such a great golfer would I be working a 9 - 5 job? I think not!

This bullshit follows me around everyday of my life. Job interviews, friends and I have lost family connections because of all the press. I can live my life as best I can knowing that I'm a good person and honest. Thanks to Barbara Kreedman who was so jealous of my successful business in the desert and my friendships made in the desert community she created this world of deceit.
There are statements online that lead you to believe the media quoted me - NOT TRUE

Did I have as many as the press and Kreedman stated I have - Not at all. If I could only be that good I would not have to go into a office everyday.
I posted this article above to point out opinions  - Yes its true everyone has one !

Only took you 11 years to get to this website....must of had a lot of ground to cover. So you are saying that you don't have 16 holes in one?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Peter Kostis says she’s the real deal so it must be true. 😉

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

22 minutes ago, Topper said:

Peter Kostis says she’s the real deal so it must be true. 😉

Brian Williams was there.......for all of them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JGagne said:

"It's crazy. There are a lot of skeptics out there, but I try to stay away from all that."

So this wasn’t a quote from you either huh? Ok. Here’s my opinion. You could’ve corrected this claim and called foul immediately. But you enjoyed the 15 minutes and it apparently cost you some sorrow in your life. Instead of owning up to the mistake and taking the high road you chose to blame some acquaintance of yours due to her jealousy. And now you accuse readers as being naive to believe it in the first place.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Having a hard time with this tbh. Why leave it over a decade before coming on to the forum it was being discussed on when a simple name search brings it up on first page of Google (other search engines are available) and also when the stories/claims hit the media at the time why not refute them there and then?

Below is from wikipedia (also on first page of search)

"

Jacqueline Gagne is an American golfer from Rancho Mirage, California.[1]

In 2007, at 46 years old and despite having played golf for only five years, Gagne claimed to have hit seven holes in one in one year. Her story gained national headlines, including on ESPN.[2]

Dean Knuth, creator of the U.S. Golf Association's Slope Rating System and a Golf Digest contributor, said Gagne's achievement was "impossible". Analyst David Boyum said the odds of Gagne's feat are "1 in 2,253,649,101,066,840,000,000,000,000,000,000,000." [3]

As 2007 progressed, the number of holes in one she claimed to have hit continued to grow. USA Today reported her number of aces that year to be up to ten, including one that was banked off a tree.[4] The same article reported that her feat earned her a guest appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman. Then in June 2007, the Wall Street Journal reported the number of holes in one was up to fourteen.[5] She also made an appearance on The Today Show.

In October 2007, published reports began openly disputing the evidence behind her claims.[6] In November 2007, when her claim had reached seventeen holes in one, a Golf Digest journalist investigated her claims and cast doubt on her accomplishments.[7]

Gagne briefly had an official website located at www.jacquelinegagne.com, but the website has since been disabled."

So, if you knew what was being said by the media wasn't true, why accept an appearance on two primetime talk shows and lie to all those watching?. It would have been a great opportunity to go on there and say it was all fabricated by this Barbara lady and limit the damage already caused?

Now, im sure you would have had your reasons (other than appearance fee's for the tv shows) but why milk it for so long?

Just my 2p worth.

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Kim Jong Un or Il or something claimed he hit 18 hole-in-ones, but that doesn't mean it happened. 

We've landed on the moon, but this woman has not hit that many HIOs. Unless there were multiple unrelated witnesses, she might not have hit a single one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 minute ago, Zeph said:

Kim Jong Un or Il or something claimed he hit 18 hole-in-ones, but that doesn't mean it happened. 

We've landed on the moon, but this woman has not hit that many HIOs. Unless there were multiple unrelated witnesses, she might not have hit a single one.

Kim Jong II. he "shot" a 34 with 5 aces in 1994. The guy who told the press years later that it didnt happen and that it was an error marking the scorecard mysteriously vanished!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Seems to me that it's clearly a cry for attention.  I have 2 aces, one in August 1989 and the 2nd in May, 1990.  In the 28 years since that 2nd one, nothing, and I played to a 10-11 handicap for 24 of those 28 years.  I had a 16 handicap for the first one, 12 handicap for the second.  The day before I made the first ace I shot what is still my personal best round of 73. 

That weekend was my golfing epiphany - prior to that weekend I was pretty much a bogie golfer, and after it I was nearly a single digit (at one point about 2 years later I did briefly get my index down to 9.6).  I've never been able to adequately explain even to myself why I seemed to suddenly understand the game without benefit of lessons or exceptional amounts of practice.

Oh, by the way, I saw both balls go into the hole, and I reacted appropriately.  :dance:  The first had unimpeachable witnesses, as it occurred on the 71st hole of the Club Championship, with the other 3 guys in my group, plus the 4 in the following group (there was a slight back up on the tee of the par 3).   The 2nd ace I had witnesses, but it was a casual round where I was paired with a twosome of strangers whom I'd never seen before, nor did I ever play with them again.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I know an 83 year old guy with 8 or 9 aces. He plays with some old guys that have a lot of aces between them. They frequent a 9 hole course that has 8 par 3's and a par 4. These guys hit driver or 3W to most of the holes and they are pretty good at getting to the greens. The ball rolls a lot and has much more opportunity to get into the hole than an 8 iron that holds the green. Plus they play probably every decent day.

Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!