IGNORED

Paula Creamer wants a Women’s Masters at Augusta [SB Nation]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How popular are the current women's majors?  Are they all even being covered by a network?

How much golf time are viewers willing to spend watching golf?   Many would rather watch the best players in the world which happen to be the men on the pga and there is probably 20 hours or more of that each week.  I'll watch maybe a couple hours a week, that doesn't leave much time for the lpga...  I think this is the problem the lpga faces and having a tournament at Augusta won't solve the problem.  And this lack of demand is just one obstacle in getting Augusta to say yes.

Too bad the women can't play in the mens off season.  Oh yeah, there no longer is an off season.

(I like watching the lpga and watch whenever I can.  Since I don't have cable, I can only see them on the networks and they seldom are on the networks.  I only saw last week's tourney as I'm on vacation and have access to the Golf Channel).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really??  And how do you know this?

Come on dude. They have an underground temperature control system. They have a gazillion dollars. They got the course ready after an ice storm tore the hell out of it.

This as well......

This is so crazy. They get thousands upon thousands of spectators in that place, with an infinite number on a waiting list. You're telling me that people on that waiting list wouldn't go?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I'm ok only If a fifth major for men is held annually a Evian/France.

If the men's tours wanted to, they could and that's the crux of the issue for most people, I think.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Really??  And how do you know this?

Come on dude. They have an underground temperature control system. They have a gazillion dollars. They got the course ready after an ice storm tore the hell out of it.

Just because they can does not mean its easy.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

This as well......

This is so crazy. They get thousands upon thousands of spectators in that place, with an infinite number on a waiting list. You're telling me that people on that waiting list wouldn't go?

I'm not telling you anything because I don't know.............

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I'm not telling you anything because I don't know.............

I think that both of @jbishop15 's comments were perfectly reasonable.  Perhaps he sounded a little too absolute for your tastes, since he likely isn't a member and doesn't know for sure, but if you had to bet money one way or the other on whether or not ANGC could get their course to look nice in the fall, which way would you go?

And to his second point, I completely agree as well.  Maybe ANGC wouldn't quite "double" their money, but there would be no way they wouldn't make a lot of money on all of the deals and no way they wouldn't sell out the place.  If the people weren't going to see the course then there'd be crazy-popular ticket lotteries for all of the other tournaments as well - and AFAIK, there isn't.  The course is the biggest part of the draw there, no question.

My problem is that no matter how good they could prep it, it's still not Spring and so flowers are not blooming, and the grass is "less" green.  Stuff that, at least from the impression I get, matters a great deal to ANGC, no matter how silly some might think it seems.

the funny thing is none of this is about Augusta, Paula expressed an opinion which is her right. From there the Folks at Augsta said no thanks...that is the end of it. The rest of the would, could, should is just silly. It is a private club and they said no...move on, none of us including the LPGA are welcome unless invited.

One other thing, they don't give a damn about the money so that may be the single worst arguement in this entire thread.

• Upvote 1

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

the funny thing is none of this is about Augusta, Paula expressed an opinion which is her right. From there the Folks at Augsta said no thanks...that is the end of it. The rest of the would, could, should is just silly.

Then what's the point of us discussing our opinions on the anchored putters ruling, or any of Tiger Woods rules or injuries issues, or, hell, anything for that matter?  Half of this forum is woulda, coulda, shoulda for us because we like to talk about golf and golf related stuff.

(You make a good point about the money though)

if you had to bet money one way or the other on whether or not ANGC could get their course to look nice in the fall, which way would you go?

Oh, I don't doubt they could.  Throw enough money at it, and anything is possible. @jbishop15 stated it would be "easy".  This is what I questioned.

And to his second point, I completely agree as well.  Maybe ANGC wouldn't quite "double" their money, but there would be no way they wouldn't make a lot of money on all of the deals and no way they wouldn't sell out the place.  If the people weren't going to see the course then there'd be crazy-popular ticket lotteries for all of the other tournaments as well - and AFAIK, there isn't.  The course is the biggest part of the draw there, no question.

Just my opinion, but I am not so sure about this one.  I think there are many that would not care to watch the LPGA, even if they were playing at Augusta.  Again, I could easily be wrong on this, because I actually do not have any idea of the overall popularity of the LPGA.

I think that both of @jbishop15 's comments were perfectly reasonable.  Perhaps he sounded a little too absolute for your tastes, since he likely isn't a member and doesn't know for sure,

Yup.  This pretty much sums it up for me.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Just my opinion, but I am not so sure about this one.  I think there are many that would not care to watch the LPGA, even if they were playing at Augusta.  Again, I could easily be wrong on this, because I actually do not have any idea of the overall popularity of the LPGA.

(FYI, watch your formatting ... you're first few comments lately have been indented so they don't show up on preview.)

Yeah, no way to know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that they would easily sell the place out no matter who was playing.

Hell, if they said that they were opening the course up for people to walk it on a day it was closed and NOBODY was playing, I'd be willing to bet they get a very large turnout.

No matter, we ultimately agree (I think) that we like the current amount of exposure of ANGC (one mens tournament only) just fine. :)

Id be curious to see what the ratings were for pinehurst no 2 last year, The LPGA a played immediatcy ( 1 week) after the men. Update, according to my sources it was Ok-good compared to other majors of the LPGA. The course had little effect on the outcome of viewership, they may try it again, mostly for logistics, reasons ( cameras, cabling, bleachers, support and tents etc. ) the trouble is finding a course that would be willing to host it back to back with a men's major.

Yup.  This pretty much sums it up for me.

I agree that a sellout isn't a slam dunk. 1st year, maybe but I doubt they'd get the numbers the men do; they wouldn't need a lottery, let's put it that way. 2nd year, enthusiasm would diminish and in not too long, they'd be giving tickets away like they do at other LPGA events. That would be a nightmare for Augusta so they'll never let it happen. Still like to see it played from 6,300 though.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Aye....  I have mixed thoughts on this one.  I think it would be awesome for the women to be able to play Augusta, but part of the allure of the course is it's exclusivity. The Masters is such a big deal and the history is amazing...  Allowing an LPGA event at the same course could possibly dilute the prestige of the event because we would be seeing more of the course.  It's almost a supply and demand type approach...  Limit our accessibility and the demand stays incredibly high with the history and specialty of the masters in tact.

We see Augusta more than any other major-hosting golf course, so I'm not sure I agree with your premise. I "know" Augusta better than Pebble, St. Andrews, Bethpage Black, etc. We see Augusta as much as TPC Sawgrass, Innesbrook, Doral, etc.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Id be curious to see what the ratings were for pinehurst no 2 last year, The LPGA a played immediatcy ( 1 week) after the men.

Update, according to my sources it was Ok-good compared to other majors of the LPGA. The course had little effect on the outcome of viewership, they may try it again, mostly for logistics, reasons ( cameras, cabling, bleachers, support and tents etc. ) the trouble is finding a course that would be willing to host it back to back with a men's major.

My recollection was that LPGA players complained even before their tournament began.   They didn't like the prospect of the course being in poor condition after the men's tourney.   Could it be, the complaints were led by one of my favorite LPGA player .... Paula? :bugout:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

We see Augusta more than any other major-hosting golf course, so I'm not sure I agree with your premise. I "know" Augusta better than Pebble, St. Andrews, Bethpage Black, etc. We see Augusta as much as TPC Sawgrass, Innesbrook, Doral, etc.

I can play pretty much all of those if I had $300-500. Not so much Augusta National.

I can play pretty much all of those if I had $300-500. Not so much Augusta National.

You can , but the vast, vast, vast majority have not, and never will. (And I happened to pick mostly public or resort courses for those examples just by chance.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Would be shocked to see this happen in my lifetime.....I think what most people do not realize is the time and effort that goes into holding a first-class even like the Masters, and this means the time and effort from the membership of ANGC (because it is the members that put in a LOT of time and effort to make sure the Masters comes off as it does).  And these aren't just folks who get up in the morning and have nothing else to do bet drive to club and play golf/cards all day.

I think the best response was that it would be unreasonable to ask or expect ANGC to host a women's Masters.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!