IGNORED

Paula Creamer wants a Women’s Masters at Augusta [SB Nation]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Part of the mystique of Augusta National and the Masters is that it is open to our viewing just once a year - then the gates at Magnolia Lane are slammed in our faces as fast as they  were opened up.

I like that we just get a peak every year - makes your anticipation to see the next year's Masters even higher.

Putting another tournament at Augusta National only dilutes this experience.

Less is more when it comes to seeing golf at Augusta National.  I'm okay with just one tournament - it's the best week in the year for golf, imo.

Let the LPGA find their own venue to promote year after year - seems like Mission Hills, Rancho Mirage where the Nabisco is played can be that special place.

Won't happen.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Seems less about a desire to play Augusta than the LPGA being able to have majors that parallel the PGA tour. Honestly I think having 5 majors it overkill as it is so a 6th is a bit much.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agreed, I like it, make it happen, but..

They should get rid of at least one LPGA major to accommodate, the ANA and Evian can go, no need for 5 majors let alone 6, it waters down the events.

Have it happen some time away from the Men's, not like the following week, let them have their own time.

@DeadMan the course is not open when they play the U.S. Women's Open.

They could possibly move the U.S. Womens Open to October one year.

But a better choice might be for Augusta to simply host the LPGA Tour Championship in November.  This will only be the third year it is held at Tiburon, it's not like there's any long tradition or attachment to that venue.  No need for a "masters", or another major, but it would be a good opportunity for Augusta to do something for the women, and for the ladies to get a chance to experience Augusta.

That would be a suitable marquee event, limited field of the best players, and wouldn't interfere at all with the Masters. They could do it as a unique one-off event, or maybe even do it once every four or five years.  It doesn't need to be every year. I think it would be a good thing for both Augusta and the LPGA  to do this.

How bout the LPGA finds its own way to generate interest/revenue without constantly trying to piggyback off the success of the men's game? Doesn't say much for the state of the women's movement in this country if their best business idea is 'hey, let's copy what worked for the men.'

How bout the LPGA finds its own way to generate interest/revenue without constantly trying to piggyback off the success of the men's game? Doesn't say much for the state of the women's movement in this country if their best business idea is 'hey, let's copy what worked for the men.'

Paula's logic is way off if she thinks the main reason everyone watches the Masters is because of the course and that the LPGA would generate the same interest as the men if they played at Augusta.  It might get some media coverage the first year but after that no one would care about it any more than they do the other five LPGA Majors.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Paula's logic is way off if she thinks the main reason everyone watches the Masters is because of the course and that the LPGA would generate the same interest as the men if they played at Augusta.  It might get some media coverage the first year but after that no one would care about it any more than they do the other five LPGA Majors.

And from where do you draw that?

Quote:
I hope The Masters will consider a Women's Masters soon. They do so much to grow the game. Fastest area of golf growth is women! - Paula Creamer

I agree with her, but apparently the stodgie club won't do it, anyway.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Well, I do enjoy the LPGA. But as traditional as Augusta is I don't think many viewers would be too thrilled to watch Augusta played from much shorter tees and slower greens. Using distance strategically and the amazing speed of the greens with all the contours would be minimized. Also, the LPGA just doesn't have the depth to bring interest to Augusta. Once out of the top 30....it's just not impressive golf as far as the professional level.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If they didn't need the help, they might not be asking to do stuff like this. So let's help them.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

WHY? WHY?

Just leave Augusta alone and find your own damn venue.

I need to take a few weeks off. I could post on this one for decades.

Same for me.

No interest in women's golf.

Careful guys....some mighty free speech liberties you're taking.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

So let's help them.

No thanks.

It's the free market...if Wie and Creamer want to play golf in their lingerie then I'm sure they'll get the revenue and ratings they crave. That's about the only way you're going to get  most guys (including this one) to ever watch the LPGA.

Agreed. I love Augusta as much as anyone but I would have no interest in watching this. All it would do is dilute the aura of the course and the Masters for me.

No thanks.

It's the free market

It's by definition not a free market if all parties don't have the same opportunities to use the resources available (ANGC won't let them hold the tournament there). Also, the men's game has had an institutional head start of about 50+ years.

if Wie and Creamer want to play golf in their lingerie then I'm sure they'll get the revenue and ratings they crave. That's about the only way you're going to get  most guys (including this one) to ever watch the LPGA.

What the hell kind of answer is that? That would be like responding to an question about how to get more women into the sciences by saying they could make more money being models. That's not the problem we're trying to solve.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Basically this is what bugs me:

ANGC holds Drive, Chip, and Putt the Sunday before the Masters. Its purpose to to grow the game by encouraging boys and girls to develop skills and compete at golf in an approachable way. Awesome. The whole thing happens in the shadow of The Masters, with the tournament looming and all the past champions coming by. What bugs me is that there's an implicit subtext that tells the boy, "Look at all this, if you try hard enough, you can be a part of this one day" while what we're telling the girl is "Look at all this, if you try hard enough, you still won't be a part of this." I know, women can theoretically qualify for The Masters. But they can't actually. It'd be cool if Augusta helped to legitimize the women's game, in much the way they're legitimizing the youth game. I get that there's logistical challenges and it's a pain in the ass for ANGC and its members. But let's try to figure something out. Get a 5 year rota of courses and have one be ANGC and the other 4 be various other well-known courses. They'll matter by association much the way all the Open courses matter more because they're hanging with St. Andrew's. Or hold the women's Masters every 2 years like the Ryder Cup. Whatever. Try to find a solution.

• Upvote 3

Dom's Sticks:

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydog

No thanks.

It's the free market

It's by definition not a free market if all parties don't have the same opportunities to use the resources available (ANGC won't let them hold the tournament there). Also, the men's game has had an institutional head start of about 50+ years.

So ANGC has to open itself to anyone who wants to use its' resources for it to be fair? That doesn't make any sense.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Note: This thread is 3277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!