IGNORED

Paula Creamer wants a Women’s Masters at Augusta [SB Nation]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's precisely the point ... THIS ISN'T your regular foursome.  This is a public forum.  Nobody is being "holier than thou," they're just pointing out tasteless and tacky comments.

I can promise you that I can be as tacky and crude as the best of them - in the proper venue.  But this ain't it.

I recognize that this is a public forum and I have resisted posting "tacky and crude" comments on here but I will not criticize anyone else who does post such comments because I know I have made similar comments in a private setting.

This is "holier than thou" ......... the response which I italicized below.

Sadly I wasted 10 minutes readiung this thread, shouldn't happen, isn't going to happen, don't want it to happen...topic closed me.

now lets reopen the lingerie conversation...we could be onto something to really help the ratings here - it obviously would have to be an invitational event, limited field maybe theme for every day....

LOL.

Well done for telling the truth,I concur.

You crude and sexist bad boy.

You guys kind of suck.

I can understand some of the arguments against having a women's Masters at Augusta; many of the ones posted here have a lot of truth in them. But these kinds of posts are pretty shitty, especially when you revel in that kind of sexism. It isn't a good look; nobody thinks you're cool or edgy.

The truth of the matter is sex sells ....... period.

The truth of the matter is sex sells ....... period.

Sex does sell but only when the ladies want to sell it.  If a man suggests they try to sell it, he is deemed sexist, if a woman suggests it, she's an opportunist.  It's 2015, new world order.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do they have tee boxes at Augusta National that would allow the women to attempt to reach the par fives in two.  This is really important on the back nine.  Also, number 12 could be a tough shot for many of the women.

Sex does sell but only when the ladies want to sell it.  If a man suggests they try to sell it, he is deemed sexist, if a woman suggests it, she's an opportunist.  It's 2015, new world order.

Amen.

How many complaints are there for all these fireman's calendars.

Do they have tee boxes at Augusta National that would allow the women to attempt to reach the par fives in two.  This is really important on the back nine.  Also, number 12 could be a tough shot for many of the women.

They've got to. Doubt that the amateur members are playing from the tees set up for the world's best golfers.

I don't think you'll see Augusta National opening up their course to the LPGA anytime soon. Bobby Jones would be doing somersaults in his grave.  Wasn't in his vision - which is gospel at Augusta National.

Augusta from the member tees compared to the Masters tees: 6,365 from the member tees. Compare that to Pinehurst, which played at 6,649 yards for the women last year. Or Sebonack, which was 6,821 two years ago. That's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but it's something.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

and i would love to see Paula in an event like the one above!  does your wife golf? LOL i kid kid...

I love it.

My wife would not be surprised at any of the comments on here.

I am proud to be an anti PC person.

I just wonder how the holier than thou PC crowd here behave in their regular foursomes.

If it is anything like my foursome everything discussed here is tame.

I behave like a civilized person.  I was raised to respect women, not cast sexist slurs the moment they're out of earshot.  That upbringing came long before the ERA movement.  When I'm in a group of guys who act like that, I generally tend to stay out of the conversation.  And for your information it has nothing to do with political correctness.  It is just how civilized people are supposed to act toward each other.  Overtly sexist jokes are no less distasteful than racist jokes.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

New guy here, been following this thread and biting my tongue for as long as I can but I have to say- some of you guys are ridiculous.  This isn't the 1950s and you're not Don Draper, get over yourselves and get with the times.  Stuff like I see some of you saying in this thread is really making me second guess my attempts to get my sister interested in the game.  Anybody talking about "fireman calenders" or how there's a double standard- you realize that women are objectified about 1000x more than men, right?  You're not being "persecuted", your rights aren't being taken away, you won't catch cooties from the girls, and most of all...the "dirty old man" act is tired, give it up.  I know I'm talking about the minority of people here, but...Jesus.  Get it together.  As far as the original question goes, I don't think the club, or any club, should be forced to host an event but I'd definitely be in favor of an LPGA Masters at Augusta if they decided to put one together, and I definitely feel like it would be in their best interest and the best interest of the game to do so.

Welcome to the forum, SoCalSwinger.

Political Correctness to some is a four letter word.   They will often lump things that they don't like as an anti-PC thing to do.  In their mind, PC has gone too far and defend their/others bad behaviors.  I can give you specific examples from the posts of the past but that'd be off topic.   But if you followed this thread, those folks are the minorities here.   Feel free to speak your mind.    As for me, as is, LPGA has 5 majors (was 2, 3, 4, 5 in their history, sponsors have changed quite a bit).   They have some work to do with their majors before looking at starting women's Masters at Augusta.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Welcome to the forum, SoCalSwinger.

Political Correctness to some is a four letter word.   They will often lump things that they don't like as an anti-PC thing to do.  In their mind, PC has gone too far and defend their/others bad behaviors.  I can give you specific examples from the posts of the past but that'd be off topic.   But if you followed this thread, those folks are the minorities here.   Feel free to speak your mind.    As for me, as is, LPGA has 5 majors (was 2, 3, 4, 5 in their history, sponsors have changed quite a bit).   They have some work to do with their majors before looking at starting women's Masters at Augusta.

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome.  I can understand some members having a certain point of view, being accustomed to a certain level of cruder behavior on the course, and having that translate over to this forum.  However, it seems ridiculous to see some members imply that an LPGA Masters at Augusta is offensive then go on to suggest that they might have more popularity and success if they played in their underwear.  That's not the kind of thing you can play off as a joke, despite the best efforts of some.

I see your point regarding the number of majors on the LPGA tour.  As I said, I don't feel like such an event should be forced upon Augusta.  However, as many others have suggested, I think it would be cool to see some marquee-level event emerge for the LPGA, whether or not it is at Augusta.  I have no problem with the idea that they would be "copying" the PGA...it's golf, they're playing the same game and both want to host top-level events.  The only reason they would be "copying" is because they weren't allowed the opportunity to participate in the event in the first place.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, normally I'm pretty laid back but it's frustrating to see the outdated, offensive opinions of some become the public face of the sport, and the reason so many people decide not to participate.

:titleist: 910D3 driver, :tmade: SLDR S 3 wood, :adams: A3OS IDEA hybrid irons, :cleve: 48*, 53*, 56*, 60* wedges, :tmade: Est. 79 TM-770 putter, whatever balls I can pick up cheap/dig out of the rough

Augusta from the member tees compared to the Masters tees:

6,365 from the member tees.

Compare that to Pinehurst, which played at 6,649 yards for the women last year. Or Sebonack, which was 6,821 two years ago.

That's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but it's something.

Thanks for posting the card.  I did look up the driving distances for the LPGA and they don't hit the ball as far as I thought.  I just don't think that the course would be a good setup for the women if it had firm fast greens.  Lots of deep bunkers and forced carries.  Also, how does number 16 come out as the easiest hole on the course?  I also would like to add that course experience at Augusta National is critical in game management.  Thus the LPGA players would have none which could lead to a marketing disaster.

Thanks for posting the card.  I did look up the driving distances for the LPGA and they don't hit the ball as far as I thought.  I just don't think that the course would be a good setup for the women if it had firm fast greens.  Lots of deep bunkers and forced carries.  Also, how does number 16 come out as the easiest hole on the course?

It's another topic, but that is a common misconception - also one I used to have.  Hole handicaps don't equate to difficulty.  The number 1 and 2 handicapped holes aren't the hardest on the front and back, they're the holes deemed to be those with the largest separation in scores between good and bad players.

Thanks for posting the card.  I did look up the driving distances for the LPGA and they don't hit the ball as far as I thought.  I just don't think that the course would be a good setup for the women if it had firm fast greens.  Lots of deep bunkers and forced carries.  Also, how does number 16 come out as the easiest hole on the course?  I also would like to add that course experience at Augusta National is critical in game management.  Thus the LPGA players would have none which could lead to a marketing disaster.

My understanding is that most courses the LPGA plays on that are typically set up for the PGA Tour get "adjusted" for the LPGA.  Greens are watered so they are more receptive and slower, rough is trimmed lower and of course tee boxes are set up for appropriate distances.  I don't know how much Augusta changes their normal course set up for the Masters but I'd guess that they let the rough grow a bit thicker and try to get the greens harder and faster.

Joe Paradiso

Agreed.   The women are not used to fast greens as was the case in one of this year's tournament (I think it was the Thailand one).   Unless they dummy down the course quite a bit, it can lead to a poor showing, a vindication to many who opposes the move.   And when they dummy down the course too much, it's no longer an attractive proposition.  Maybe, they can play at Augusta as a special (e.g, charity event) one time tournament to see what it is like first.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

It's another topic, but that is a common misconception - also one I used to have.  Hole handicaps don't equate to difficulty.  The number 1 and 2 handicapped holes aren't the hardest on the front and back, they're the holes deemed to be those with the largest separation in scores between good and bad players.

Good simple accurate explanation of handicapping.  I never knew that and really hadn't given it any thought.  It does explain why par threes never seem to get the respect many of them deserve.

My understanding is that most courses the LPGA plays on that are typically set up for the PGA Tour get "adjusted" for the LPGA.  Greens are watered so they are more receptive and slower, rough is trimmed lower and of course tee boxes are set up for appropriate distances.  I don't know how much Augusta changes their normal course set up for the Masters but I'd guess that they let the rough grow a bit thicker and try to get the greens harder and faster.

Firm fast greens are the primary defense against the touring pros at Augusta National.  It also takes a high approach shot at Augusta.  Probably not a good set up for the LPGA.

Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!