IGNORED

How Often Do You Replace… Your Irons?

Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you replace your irons?

• <= 6 Months
    • 6-12 Months
    • 1-2 Years
    • 2-4 Years
    • 5+ Years
    • Never

I was going through one set of irons per year up until I bought my current 695mb's.  I started with super game improvement irons with offbrand clones, then big berthas.  I worked my way into titleist cavity backs and eventually the blades.  I can't forsee me changing these out for quite some time.  I may try others, but I'll be keeping these ones.

At the end of the day, it's the Indian not the arrow

That may be the greatest thing I've ever read!

Even just coming back to things, I spent a whole lot of time (and cheddar! :cry: ) buying the best clubs I could afford and that felt right instead of the starter bag that comes in a box. I'm  by no means a seasoned veteran like many here, but my money tree is still just a sapling - I didn't buy a full set of clubs with the intent to do the same thing again 12 mos later. If I somehow outgrow these too quickly, then OK, but otherwise...? Is a huge step up from the set of craptastic used clubs I learned on and had for 5yrs.

Had my first set (still have 'em) well over ten years. Not sure if I'll keep my current set of X22s that long but I might. At the end of the day, it's the Indian not the arrow so unless your clubs are way too advanced for your game or are a significantly poor fit you're better off spending that money on lessons, range time or green fees.

Replace your grips often and you're good to go!

So since I play most of my rounds in the morning, it probably is my clubs fault when I suck? :-P:dance::banana:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So since I play most of my rounds in the morning, it probably [U] is [/U] my clubs fault when I suck? :-P :dance: :banana:

I was referring to local time so, no, still your fault (or faults).

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've had my current set since 2012 (ap2's). I'm looking to replace them at the end of this year as the 6 and 7 irons are pretty worn from a ton of range time. Planning to make the 4 and 5 irons the most worn clubs in my next set. Flushing 7irons is getting easy and I need to keep challenging myself.

I've had my current set since 2012 (ap2's). I'm looking to replace them at the end of this year as the 6 and 7 irons are pretty worn from a ton of range time.

You know, I was looking at my 6-iron this evening on the range and it occurs to me -- whenever I get another iron set, I think I'm going to order two 6-irons. Since I'm hitting that WAY more at the range than any other club, it might make sense to have a second one. Or then again, the difference in wear for what I can do to it in a few years' of practice (versus a professional player in a few months... who probably gets another 6-iron free anyhow) might mean this doesn't matter.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I have made three significant iron purchases...

1975 Ben Hogan Producer blade irons

1991 Ben Hogan Edge perimeter weighted irons

2002 Ping i3+ perimeter weighted irons, bought in 2006 used

So, for me, I purchase a new set of irons, that I use on a regular basis, every 15-16 years.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I bought a set of Cobra Bio Cell irons in 2014. I don't foresee getting a new set unless I suddenly start shooting in the 70s, and even then, if it ain't broke....

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I put 2-4 years. I've had one set stolen, one set was lost when I moved, and both of my last sets were rush purchases that were mistakes. This year I hope to get a real set of clubs fit to me and once I do that I'll probably stick with those until the break.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I guess if I spend more money than I should.on a set of irons. For some reason, I think I need to keep them forever. I'm on about a 10 year average. Played High school golf with a set of MacGreggor MT's. Second set was Taylormade RAC LT. Currently playing the Taylormade SLDR's

3 years minimum and up to probably 7 years (but still counting) for a playing set. The set I am using now and for the last 4 seasons I got in 1999 so quite a few seasons but not all consecutively.

At some point I became interested in club history and development. So just for fun and to investigate first hand I started picking up and playing with whatever sets I could find from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and into the 2000s. My most modern club is the original ap2 so 2008-2009ish.

Sometimes I swap in different sets to replace the playing set for a few rounds and sometimes for a few years. At one point I played a set of 1957 MTs for four seasons and even though I never considered them a playing set I used them exclusively at that time.

Mike

Irons, not so much, more like 7+ years, currently playing some TM R7's I've had for a while.

Woods/hybrids/wedges - every year, every couple years, or every couple rounds.  These clubs are the ones that get me in and out of trouble the most.

I'm basically standard in every bit of my swing so I just buy slightly used clubs all the time.  Also, I should admit, I also lose wedges alot, about 1 per year, so that kind plays into it.

I've only used three putters in my life.  One from Junior Golf, one from middle school through college, and one more since college (36 now)

I got a hybrid set of Pinemeadow Excels in 2004 when I realized I liked golf enough to want a complete set. I basically learned golf smashing on those clubs for ten years.

Getting back into the game seriously this year, I found myself with pleasant problem of getting good enough to wonder about upgrading to first-tier brand stuff because it might make a difference. I got a set of Nike VRS X irons because they felt and looked sharp, based on just a few practice swings - no launch monitor or fitting or whatever.

Between my experiences with those new Nike irons and my new driver (Ping i25), I am pretty stunned frankly at how much better name brand modern stuff is compared to b-line brand stuff ten years old. It DOES make a difference! Those Nikes got me clubbed down on every hole on my home course, hit these big floaters with feather-light landings, sound awesome when struck, and gleam all pretty in my bag.

And I suspect any modern set of first-tier brand irons would do the same thing - from where I was, any upgrade was going to be a huge one. There is so much good stuff out there right now!

And I probably will scope out custom shafts and grips for those Nikes this summer.

Those Nikes got me clubbed down on every hole on my home course

Well, that depends on how your old clubs were setup.  Golf companies have been deloft'n irons for a while now and instead of having just a PW and SW, most are carrying 4 wedges now.  I know when I went to my R7's I was amazed that I was hitting a club farther.  Then I checked the lofts and it made sense.

Well, that depends on how your old clubs were setup.  Golf companies have been deloft'n irons for a while now and instead of having just a PW and SW, most are carrying 4 wedges now.  I know when I went to my R7's I was amazed that I was hitting a club farther.  Then I checked the lofts and it made sense.

That thought crossed my mind as well; but comparing, say, the new 7-iron to old 7-iron the ball lands softer - more drop with one little hop than bouncy careening in - yet still goes considerably farther. My assumption there is a de-lofted 7-iron would not do that, unless the grooves are so much better the lower loft still spins the ball up that much more.

You do bring up good point though; I wish both sets of irons were labeled with lofts and neither is.

Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!