IGNORED

How Often Do You Replace… Your Irons?

Note: This thread is 3250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you replace your irons?

• <= 6 Months
    • 6-12 Months
    • 1-2 Years
    • 2-4 Years
    • 5+ Years
    • Never

Had my first set (still have 'em) well over ten years. Not sure if I'll keep my current set of X22s that long but I might. At the end of the day, it's the Indian not the arrow so unless your clubs are way too advanced for your game or are a significantly poor fit you're better off spending that money on lessons, range time or green fees. Replace your grips often and you're good to go!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure yet. I started playing again in 2012. The irons I used that year and most of 2013 decades old (845s). My irons are 2013 and I see no reason to change. I do have another newer set but no performance difference in my hands. A lot of what I see out there is very similar. If my irons were lost or stolen I would buy the same thing to replace them.

Dave :-)

I voted 5+.

I have had 4 sets of irons since 1987.  My first irons were Northwesterns for $20 from the pawn shop.  When I got my first real job I bought a cheap set of Lynx irons in 1996.  Around 2003 I bought Cobra SS-i irons, custom fit.  In 2012 I used the excuse that my swing had changed so much that my custom Cobras probably were not set up properly for me so I bought a set of TaylorMade Burner 2s, which is what I am playing right now. :-)

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

As I said on the wedges poll " 5+ years - I don't like to feel I'm falling behind the technology.  It seems that in 5 years or so the technology changes can be significant.  This applies to all my clubs except my putter which I've had for over 10 years".

I like having a matching set, so I'm likely to buy the whole new set all at the same time, driver through wedges.

I seem to be sitting around 3 years right now.  No particular reason I could give, it just works out that way.  If Mizuno would stop coming out with such awesome looking clubs that number would probably go up significantly!

Brad

never. I just cant let go of my mizuno mx-25 on nippon steel regular shafts. they rock yet they are worn out like hell. So easy and forgiving. great lclicky touch too.

the shafts tend to be a bit soft with game progress but I get huge distance and ball heigh so still difficult to change.

I have a new pair of AP2 with S300 TTempers in the closet if ever I take the turn.

Voted 5+ years.

Irons last a while...even if they're forged.  No reason to change them more often unless you want to or find something that works better.

I've had my MP-67s since 2011 and don't think I will replace them for a while...although I have thought of finding a used 5 and 6 iron of a more forgiving or higher launching MP iron...maybe an MP52 or 57.

5+.

I played MacGregor MTs from 1974-1994, and component Pro Tour Black (Ping Eye2 clones) from 1994-2008.

I tested out quite a few iron sets in 2009 before settling on X20 irons. Two years later, I found some X20 Tours in the PX 5.0 flex, and got them. Had the X20 Tours reshafted last summer to lighter NS Pro 8950 shafts.

In earlier times, I found irons I liked and just kept them. Partially the reason was cost.

For the X20 Tours, I found a demo 6i that matches my set, and tried out different shafts in the demo before deciding on a reshaft. I just really like the looks and feel of the X20T.

I want to get fitted for clubs, but the last couple of years I've had hip and knee trouble. Don't want to do a fitting until I stabilize physically.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Again 2-4 years.  I went 4 years on my last set.  the set I have now I bought used and they were fairly worn so they may not make it 4 yrs but probably 2 at least.  Just not a big gear tinkerer.

I voted never. Not quite true, but closer than anything else.

I have had the irons in my signature since 1979. In 1992, I "replaced" them with a new set of Titleist DCI's, which I also still have. I played the DCI's almost exclusively for about a year, then started playing the Staffs again once in a while. About four years ago, I picked up a couple of Joe Powell persimmons at a pawn shop and sort of got hooked on vintage gear. Last year, I played the old Staffs almost exclusively.  In my closet is a minty looking 3-PW set of Macgregor VIP remakes from around 91-93. When I get around to getting them regripped-they still have the originals on-they will go in the bag and if they work out, might become my main vintage set. I also have a scramble bag that is a hodge podge of styles and brands.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I've never replaced an iron set in under 5 years.  The set I have now is the first generation Titleist AP-2.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

First clubs were a cheap half-set that I got back in 2000 when I first started.

Second set I bought around 2004 I think, a relatively cheap Olyo set.

Third set I bought in 2009, which was Mizuno MP-57.

Fourth and current set bought in 2013, Callaway X-Hot.

4 years, 5 years, 5 years and 4 years.

Second set I got because I wanted a full set of irons.

Third set I got because I wanted "better" (more expensive :-P (got it on eBay though)) clubs that I thought would fit me better.

Fourth set I got because I wanted to get properly fit for one and get clubs that were a bit more forgiving than the Mizunos.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

i voted 5+ years.......

Unless you are playing every day or at the range all the time hitting hundreds of balls, i dont think you are going to wear out a set of irons in under 5 years.....

i have two sets of 735cm's...  one set has s300 shafts and one has titleist graphite shafts..... my steel shaft set, the summer that i bought them 2013, i played the crap out of them, going to the driving range 3 to 5 times a week hitting hundreds of balls a week, and the grooves are still good...

And since i hardly played at all last year, i figured these two sets will last me a long time.......

It is what it is

Though I own a bunch of sets of irons, most of them are for back-up or if a friend comes from out of town and doesn't bring clubs... but I have a set of Tour Edge V-Blades (1-PW) That I will be buried with...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I've had my CB's since 2009' however I didn't play some titleist MB 712 for 8 months last year and went back to my custom fitted set. I think when titleist comes out with the next set of AP2's I'm going to get fitted for them. Who knows. I have some wear on my current set going on 7 years now.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

A very odd ball average.

Nike Slingshot OSS for 6 months, original Titleist AP1's for a little over 5 years, Callaway X-hots for a little over a year before going to the X2 hots which I have now had for about a year and am not looking to replace.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I voted 5+ years based on the assumption I am replacing the whole set. I might switch out a long iron for a hybrid from time to time, but I'll play one iron set for a good amount of time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5+ years.  Although I went though several garage sale/starter/knockoff sets in the past, the irons I have now are the first set I was ever fitted for.  I've had them for 5+ years and don't foresee replacing them anytime soon.  I'm comfortable with them, confident in the technology, and fully aware that the problems in my game now have everything to do with my swing and nothing to do with the clubs.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Note: This thread is 3250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!