IGNORED

How do you define what different irons are?

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you define long iron vs. short iron?

• 1I - 4I: long irons; 5I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 5I: long irons; 6I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 6I: long irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 2I: long irons; 3-6: mid irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 2I: long irons; 3-7: mid irons; 8I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 3I: long irons; 4-6: mid irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 3I: long irons; 4-7: mid irons; 8I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 4I: long irons; 5-6: mid irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 4I: long irons; 5-7: mid irons; 8I -9I short irons
    • Something other combination

Who cares so long as you do not call them too late for dinner?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back in the 1970s, here was the line-up:

• Long irons = 1, 2, 3
  • Medium irons = 4, 5, 6
  • Long irons = 7 and above

Modern line-up, according to clubfitters:

• Long irons = 2 (if you can find one), 3, 4
  • Medium irons =  5, 6, 7
  • Long irons = 8 and above

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Back in the 1970s, here was the line-up:

Long irons = 1, 2, 3

Medium irons = 4, 5, 6

Long irons = 7 and above

Modern line-up, according to clubfitters:

Long irons = 2 (if you can find one), 3, 4

Medium irons =  5, 6, 7

Long irons = 8 and above

Don't think so :-) :-P

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Don't think so :-)

What is the definition then?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

What is the definition then?

I was jokingly referring to how he had used the term "long" twice but not the word "short".

I said it before.

The term refers to SHAFT LENGTH - and that is a matter of fact, not opinion.

Long irons are 1,2,3,4

Mid are 5,6,7

Short are 8,9 and wedges.

My irritation (not with WUTiger) stems from golf related things that have strict(ish) definitions that some posters like Natural Patrick have never heard of but feel the need to weigh in on, rather than finding out what the subject actually is. They then become aggressive when it is pointed out that they are off the mark.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Short Richard, if I hit my 9 iron 140yds then yes FOR ME it is a mid iron. This IS a matter of personal opinion little rich. Now why don't you go lay down in the litter box with that Ugly ass cat.

I was jokingly referring to how he had used the term "long" twice but not the word "short".

I said it before.

Long irons are 1,2,3,4

Mid are 5,6,7

My irritation (not with WUTiger) stems from golf related things that have strict(ish) definitions that some posters like Natural Patrick have never heard of but feel the need to weigh in on, rather than finding out what the subject actually is. They then become aggressive when it is pointed out that they are off the mark.

Short shaft, I Never said anything about what I posted as being a Fact. This poll was about peoples opinions. Why do you get all moist when someone has an opinion different than yours? I have been playing golf for 40 years so I know a thing or 2 about the history of the game. I also have been fitted for clubs, so I also know about shaft length. Again NOBODY said anything about this POLL being about FACTS. The poll asked for peoples opinions right or wrong. Show me where I said that  my opinion was Fact. Get a grip for gods sake.

Short shaft, I Never said anything about what I posted as being a Fact. This poll was about peoples opinions. Why do you get all moist when someone has an opinion different than yours? I have been playing golf for 40 years so I know a thing or 2 about the history of the game. I also have been fitted for clubs, so I also know about shaft length. Again NOBODY said anything about this POLL being about FACTS. The poll asked for peoples opinions right or wrong. Show me where I said that  my opinion was Fact. Get a grip for gods sake.

You should take a step back, you're not making yourself look good with the name calling.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not so - I mentioned the 2 iron long before he came on the thread.

I see you did mention it.

Another thought, many consider the term "scoring irons" in reference to clubs as opposed to "short irons"

Spoke with the Mizuno rep last week and he indicated long irons are coming back in popularity.

My favorite club is still the "Money Maker"

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I voted for 1-4 - long, 5-7 - mid, 8-9 - short. But I sort of think of a 5 iron as a long iron. I think it's mostly because I used to have some difficultly hitting it at all. I also sometimes think of an 8 iron as a mid iron, because I'm a lot less accurate with it than I am with a 9 iron. But this is all me being weird instead of an actual definition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I said it before.

Long irons are 1,2,3,4

Mid are 5,6,7

Does it matter what it refers to? 5-irons are always (except one-length sets) shorter than 4-irons. Why is a 4-iron a long one and 5 a mid? Who decided this and is it a definition that is still useful? I understand that a 4-iron is slightly longer, but where is the lengths defined?

How many carry 1, 2, 3 irons? Many don't even have a 4-iron. So most of us got none or maybe just one long iron. With the decreasing number of 1, 2, 3 and even 4 irons, maybe this definition (which I've still to see where comes from) should be changed?

I don't see a problem in defining a 5-iron as a long iron. It's not like "long", "mid" and "short" says anything at all about the actual length.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1-4 long. 5-7 mid Remainder short Really don't think about them in that manner though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

To me, there are only two categories.   Bad irons - 3, 4 which I don't carry in favor of hybrids.   Good irons - the rest.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I voted the same way.  Most sets today include a PW and some of the GI sets also include a gap wedge which I would consider short irons.

As did I and agree with these comments.

In reading through some of the comments, I can see how some would consider the 5 and possibly the 6 as long irons, since they have loft and length similar to 3 or 4 irons of old. Still today though, in most sets there is a subtle difference in head shapes between the 4 and 5 and between the 7 and 8. It is more pronounced in old sets like those in my sig, but still evident especially in modern blade designs.

Even though I enjoy playing with vintage clubs and do almost 100% of the time, if I were to set up a modern bag, a 4 or maybe even 5 would be my longest iron. I never thought I would say that.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

To me, there are only two categories.   Bad irons - 3, 4 which I don't carry in favor of hybrids.   Good irons - the rest.

Perfect!!

Seriously though, the difficulty with compartmentalizing irons is that the lofts have changed so much over the years that they have all moved at least one place on the chart from where they sat traditionally.  My 5I is more the loft of the 4I I had 20 years ago, and that ratio holds true throughout the set.  And my AP-2's are not lofted as strongly as many are these day.  Some brands have moved a full club and a half stronger in the endless pissing match to be able to claim who is longest.  If you compare loft for loft instead of going by number, they are all about the same.  All that means that the numbers for long, mid and short have migrated (as mentioned above, the 1 iron is virtually extinct, and the 2 iron is about the same), but since the shafts are still the deciding factor, the nomenclature shouldn't really have changed all that much.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'll do that if you do a little research on golf terms, tradition and history.

The terms relate to shaft length.

They are not related to short, mid or long distances.

Learn something new everyday.

I thought they were just phrases people used and had their own definitions for what each one was.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Perfect!!

Seriously though, the difficulty with compartmentalizing irons is that the lofts have changed so much over the years that they have all moved at least one place on the chart from where they sat traditionally.  My 5I is more the loft of the 4I I had 20 years ago, and that ratio holds true throughout the set.  And my AP-2's are not lofted as strongly as many are these day.  Some brands have moved a full club and a half stronger in the endless pissing match to be able to claim who is longest.  If you compare loft for loft instead of going by number, they are all about the same.  All that means that the numbers for long, mid and short have migrated (as mentioned above, the 1 iron is virtually extinct, and the 2 iron is about the same), but since the shafts are still the deciding factor, the nomenclature shouldn't really have changed all that much.

I actually voted for the majority selection.

Regardless of changing loft over the years, I thought the OT's intended poll was that we answer based on what we currently have.   I have a 2 year old iron set which has stronger loft but they are just as easy (if not easier) to hit than my previous set.    Although my current 5i loft is equivalent to my old 4i, I considered the new 5i as mid iron, hence, my vote for the majority selection.

It would have been more interesting if the poll selection listed loft range instead of listing 3i - 4i, etc..

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Regardless of changing loft over the years, I thought the OT's intended poll was that we answer based on what we currently have.   I have a 2 year old iron set which has stronger loft but they are just as easy (if not easier) to hit than my previous set.    Although my current 5i loft is equivalent to my old 4i, I considered the new 5i as mid iron, hence, my vote for the majority selection.

It would have been more interesting if the poll selection listed loft range instead of listing 3i - 4i, etc..

That would have required OP to have working knowledge of loft ranges for each iron number. ;-)

However, it's like that OP used the club number because that's what most people use when thinking about what club they'll use, with, perhaps, the exclusion of wedges.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

That would have required OP to have working knowledge of loft ranges for each iron number.

However, it's like that OP used the club number because that's what most people use when thinking about what club they'll use, with, perhaps, the exclusion of wedges.

Or go with actual length of the club: Long = over 39 inches, medium = 35 - 38 inches, short = 34 or less :-P .     Don't check me on the numbers.   I just made them up for amusement.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!