IGNORED

How do you define what different irons are?

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you define long iron vs. short iron?

• 1I - 4I: long irons; 5I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 5I: long irons; 6I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 6I: long irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 2I: long irons; 3-6: mid irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 2I: long irons; 3-7: mid irons; 8I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 3I: long irons; 4-6: mid irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 3I: long irons; 4-7: mid irons; 8I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 4I: long irons; 5-6: mid irons; 7I -9I short irons
    • 1I - 4I: long irons; 5-7: mid irons; 8I -9I short irons
    • Something other combination

Or go with actual length of the club: Long = over 39 inches, medium = 35 - 38 inches, short = 34 or less   .     Don't check me on the numbers.   I just made them up for amusement.

Good thing you included that. @Shorty would probably have jumped on you if you hadn't and were wrong - haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Voted for the last option. I would call 5-7 mid irons and 8-PW short irons.

Eric

In the Bag:

Driver - Cobra Bio Cell+ 9.5°

3 Wood - Titleist 980F 15°

5 Wood - Cobra Speed LD F 17°

Irons - Taylormade TP MC 3-PW

Wedges - 50°/56° Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

Putter - Odyssey Versa #1 

I agree with 3+ being long and 8 down being short but as far as confidence goes I consider 9 and pw short scoring irons and anything else a just get it on the green if you can iron

If we're basing it off loft/length, 1-4 are long, 5-7 are mid, 8-PW are short. If we're basing it off of distance hit, they're all short irons for me. LOL
  • Upvote 1

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I've always thought traditionally it was 5-7 for mid irons and longer irons were longer and shorter irons were shorter.

Personally, I have the Top Flite XL hacker set and the irons go from 6 to a 42 degree 9 iron but there's only 1 wedge which is 50 degrees! I have 3 cleveland wedges (46, 54, 58) but I feel really weird including my GW with my irons but PW with wedges. Whatever, in the end it doesn't really matter cause I've been getting comfortable with which club to use in which situation but I still feel like a weirdo.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I picked the last choice, along with the majority of voters. I'd definitely put the PW as the last short iron club tough. 99% (maybe 98%) percent of golfers carry one that matches their set, which is more 10 iron than it is "wedge".

• 2 months later...

long 1,2,3

mid 4,5,6

short 7,8,9

Wedges are separate.  I just like something simple so I'm not thinking about weather i'm hitting a long or short or something confusing while i'm swinging.  That's very standard and good for me.  Golf's all mental, just pick something and go with it.

Also it doesn't matter how far you hit them.

I mean it does matter for your score sometimes but I mean for it being a long iron or a short iron.  We're talking about the club not the person hitting it.

Bubba could come here and join this debate saying he gets his PW to go 190 or something silly..

SO i think a PW is a PW and it doesn't matter if you play with one from your set, or one different from the rest of your cubs.  Manufacturers also make SW's that come with them, and wilson makes gap wedges that come with the set.

It's called a PW because it functions as a club used for pitching the ball.

Even though some players probably rarely use it for those shots (like phil mickelson) because they are always using lofted wedges.

But again we're talking about the clubs not the people hitting them.

long = 1,2,3

mid= 4,5,6

short= 7,8,9

I voted the closest to my definitions: 1-4 long, 5-7 mid, 8-PW, UW, AW or whatever the manufacturer wants to call it, short. If it's a "wedge" that came with your iron set, it's most likely built like the rest of the irons in your set and less like true wedges, so I consider them short irons. I think most people play a PW that would really be considered more of a 10 iron.

what i like about my speed blade set. My fav wegde is my aw.

Note: This thread is 3198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!