IGNORED

Hitting Positions vs Making a Functional Golf Swing

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Piz said:

I believe, strongly, that if there is nothing "wrong" with your swing it isn't yours.  At some point, if you are truly to develop a swing, your swing has to diverge from whatever template, or templates, are serving as its base.  I am all for understanding the dynamics/physics of motion; but ten years of coaching pitchers taught me this: If pitcher A would need a new skeleton to throw like pitcher B - there is no point in insisting that he do this or not do that.  I'll wager there isn't a golfer in the hall of fame that doesn't do something that somebody teaches people never to do.  Flying elbow, anyone?

I think you want to use a model to demonstrate certain moves and points, but the goal isn't to perfectly imitate that model, it's to hit good golf shots consistently well.

Everyone has their idiosyncracies and at some point, if they aren't negatively affecting their ability to hit good shots, I don't think any good instructor would change them. Jim Furyk is a good example of this. Nobody teaches his swing as a model, but they would be crazy if they think his swing needs to be changed.

There has to be a reason to make changes and just to fit a model or because it looks better are terrible reasons.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 years later...
On 5/8/2015 at 9:30 AM, mvmac said:

The truth or the answer to better golf is somewhere in between. Use the best players as commonalities of what to do, focus on one priority at a time and understand that every swing is a little unique and comes with it's own tendencies. There is no perfect swing and there never will be.

Thank you for this. I'm old and recovery from 2017 injuries has changed my physical abilities. Lately, I have found setup/address to be a priority focus.  [Standing a bit closer and taller, and taking dead aim to a target with the leading edge of the club face, puts my hands a bit higher at address.] 

Maybe it's just narrowing down the swing thoughts, and it could be wrong for others. But that one focus seems to have to helped me with repeatability of results in practice and on the course. HCP coming back down, slowly. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought about this thread a lot over the weekend. I played with a group that usually consists of 12 regulars. Since 2 were missing me and another guy were allowed to play in their monthly “tournament”. I got to watch at least 8 guys who demolished my score or at least beat me by a few strokes with swings that were nowhere close to “ideal”. 

a guy in my flight hit everything from the back foot, sometimes spinning so hard he nearly lost balance. And he wasn’t a long hitter (over 65 years old)

My guess is he shot somewhere in the 85 range to my 96. 

Another guy shot 75 with a swing that I would say he can’t be better than a 20 hcp... FML

First time seeing this thread and its wisdom.  I have watched videos on how to the magic move of the pros, the crushing drives of the pros, the green skills of the pros, the bunker play of the pros, ..... One thing I have learned is that we are individuals that have to find out what works for us.  I've watched a ton of videos, read several books (including Hogan's), read extensively here and have come to realize that this stuff is complicated!  Yep, I know Moe Norman said it is simple and his swing was the best ever.  I know many will tell you to do this or that to swing like ___________(name pro here), yet the real answer is that it is hard work - focusing on small details -  developing muscle memory that produces consistent results.  I liken it to playing a drum kit - when you get "used" to the kit, you can close your eyes and know exactly where you are on a cymbal, drum, etc.  Muscle memory is that we love to feel - as the everything just feels right.  Hey, maybe that is what Moe meant on the "feeling of greatness", maybe its way Hogan was describing when he talking about being on plane.  Is there a perfect technique - yes, the one that works for you, for me but not necessarily anyone else in that exact manner.... 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 1 month later...

@Killa This is what makes me madder than anything in golf. Trying to practice and play for that "ideal swing" but then going out and losing to someone with a swing worse looking than Furyk.

Trust me, this has happened enough to where now I do not care what I look like. I just want to play better golf.

Driver- Taylormade R15 9.5*, 3 Wood- Taylormade R15 15*, Irons- Nike SQ Sumo 4-AW, Wedges- 56*,60* Callaway Mack Daddy Forged, Putter- Ping Karsten TR Anser 5

Bag- Titleist Player 3 Stand Bag

Ball- Taylormade Project a

On 12/10/2019 at 9:29 PM, ForcedCarry21 said:

@Killa This is what makes me madder than anything in golf. Trying to practice and play for that "ideal swing" but then going out and losing to someone with a swing worse looking than Furyk.

Trust me, this has happened enough to where now I do not care what I look like. I just want to play better golf.

Well I do all these changes because I hope they will help me become a more consistent golf player. Hope remains now that I have spent the last year correcting the backswing 😂

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!