Sign in to follow this  
Rulesman

Another Pro Who Hasn't Read the Rules (Improper Dropping Technique)

Note: This thread is 1884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 posts / 1981 viewsLast Reply

I could understand if he was frustrated and just didn't care enough to drop properly, but to not actually know the rule amazes me. Maybe he hasn't had to drop that often in his life? As a hack, this was one of the first rules I ever learned ;-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where is the predictable "I don't see how he was advantaged so I wouldn't have penalised him" post? :roll:

As a hack, this was one of the first rules I ever learned

Back when I first learned the rule, it was over the shoulder.

Back when I first learned the rule, it was over the shoulder.

Must be a "Missouri Method / Rule"

Back in the late 70's when I first started playing, guys were dropping the ball over their shoulders.

One guy made a drop on a side hill and the ball bounced into his leg.

I told him that cost a couple of strokes and he then realized why the proper method was the ruling.

It was a good chuckle at the time.

Not sure why so many guys thought over the shoulder was correct back then, but seemed like many did it.

Maybe it was that I golfed with a lot of beginners like myself and they just learned to drop over the shoulder.

Club Rat

Not sure why so many guys thought over the shoulder was correct back then, but seemed like many did it.

Maybe it was that I golfed with a lot of beginners like myself and they just learned to drop over the shoulder.

Club Rat

It WAS the rule. You had to drop it over your shoulder.

It only changed in 1984.

Must be a "Missouri Method / Rule" Back in the late 70's when I first started playing, guys were dropping the ball over their shoulders. Not sure why so many guys thought over the shoulder was correct back then, but seemed like many did it.

From usga.org: The current language requiring a player to drop from arm’s length and shoulder height was introduced in 1984. It was a simplification of the somewhat awkward previously required method of facing the hole, standing erect, and dropping the ball behind the player over the shoulder. Edit: shorty beat me to it.

It only changed in 1984.

From usga.org: The current language requiring a player to drop from arm’s length and shoulder height was introduced in 1984. It was a simplification of the somewhat awkward previously required method of facing the hole, standing erect, and dropping the ball behind the player over the shoulder.

Edit: shorty beat me to it.

You guys must be "older than dirt" to know about a rule from 1984 !!! :beer:

Good call...

Club Rat

What if you're like 90 and can't lift your arm that high? We have a 90 year old in our league and for drops she lifts her arm about chest height.

I don't see how he was advantaged so I wouldn't have penalized him.

Should have been disqualified under 33-7 anyway for wearing that bloody shirt.

The 'Rules' are simply laws, entirely mutable by their makers.  There is no mr. muhammad in Golf.

I told him that cost a couple of strokes and he then realized why the proper method was the ruling.

I wonder if hitting yourself while dropping was a penalty then? It is not now. You are just required to re-drop. Aaron could have also re-dropped correctly without a penalty had his caddie reminded him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

It only changed in 1984.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

From usga.org: The current language requiring a player to drop from arm’s length and shoulder height was introduced in 1984. It was a simplification of the somewhat awkward previously required method of facing the hole, standing erect, and dropping the ball behind the player over the shoulder.

Edit: shorty beat me to it.

You guys must be "older than dirt" to know about a rule from 1984 !!!

Good call...

Club Rat

I am!  I also remember when you could leave the flag in on the greens!

No excuse for him not to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Club Rat

I wonder if hitting yourself while dropping was a penalty then? It is not now. You are just required to re-drop. Aaron could have also re-dropped correctly without a penalty had his caddie reminded him.

No, it wasn't.  Since the ball usually hit the ground within a a few inches of your feet, it would have been excessively penal to then incur such a penalty.  Since you were supposed to face the hole when dropping, that meant that if you were facing downhill, it would have been nearly impossible to make a drop that didn't have a chance of hitting you.

Rule 22-2a from 1980:

2.  Dropping

a. How to Drop

A ball to be dropped under the Rules or Local Rules shall be dropped by the player himself. He shall face the hole, stand erect, and drop the ball behind him over his shoulder. If a ball be dropped in any other manner and remain the ball in play (Definition 5), the player shall incur a penalty stroke.

If the ball touch the player before it strikes the ground, the player shall re-drop without penalty. If the ball touch the player after it strikes the ground or if it come to rest against the player and move when he then moves, there is no penalty, and the ball shall be played as it lies.

Note: This thread is 1884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!