Sign in to follow this  
shaggs2riches

How much progression should I expect?

Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Last June I bought my first set of clubs and that is when I got the golfing bug. I was keeping score but didnt count any o.b. and lost balls and at least half or better of my duffed shots. After 6 lessons, and countless hours on simulators over the winter, I have definitely improved from last year. I averaged 55-65 without penalties last year and this year I have been 62/68/66/and 72 this with every penalty and duffed shot. I was hoping to be scoring better after all the simulator work, but I am staying positive that I will see better scores this season. So I am just wondering how much I should be hoping to progress this season. I know it always differs person to person, so I am really just looking for a reasonable goal. Right now I am trying to play at least once a week, and hope to start doing range and practice green work once or twice a week. I will be signing up for more professional lessons next month as well.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

When I started, three years ago, my 9 hole scores were in the low/mid 50s on a par 31 course. Now, I'm in the high 30s/low 40s, with an all time best of 37. It comes with time.

I'm a firm believer in lessons. I believe a PGA pro can spot my swing problems within a few swings, where I would spend hours on the range, and still not figure it out. Find a pro you like and stick with him.

Thank god for that edit comment. Outside, the fresth air, the green grass, birds singing, flowers blooming, cells off, focus on the moment...those are the best features of golf.

There is no 'normal' progression.  Every player/golfer/wannbe is different in many ways so the way is open to you to progress as you want/can.  Best wishes.

I am headed down to my local course today to buy an unlimited golf "membership" for the year. It is my third year, and the first year that I feel like I can predict what is going to happen when I hit the ball. This is the first year I feel like I can avoid mishits by concentrating. Before, what passed for concentration was more prayer. I haven't been keeping score up to now. Mostly I have been a range rat, but I feel like I have a legitimate swing now. Not a good one. I still have never broken 100 (I always gave up keeping score as things got out of hand), but I feel like I have a swing I could break 90 with on a short course, which is where I play, since my distances with the clubs have reached average for men and my accuracy is better than it has ever been.

My next door neighbor just retired, and I can take off work whenever I like, since I am semi-retired, so I expect to play mid-week golf at least once a week with him, probably twice (once alone), and most weekends. This is why my goal is to break 90 this summer.

So for me, progress was slow the first two years, with some times I seriously considered quitting, but here in the third year, it is all fresh again, and starting to be much more fun.

I was thinking of getting a membership to the one 9 hole course, its really well kept and doesnt have too many flat spots and fairways are narrow on, so I get a good challenge. Unlimited membership is 450 without cart. I have been seeing the same cpga pro all along. He worked at the simulator facility over the winter, so I could continue lessons when the courses closed. I will be setting up lessons again soon. I am trying to only walk this year, so I will more than likely be doing more 9 hole rounds for the first while. I found out yesterday I played worse with a group behind me. Almost like I was rushing so I didnt hold them up, which caused me several unnecessary strokes. What an emotional game this can be.

Your improvement will happen as it's  gonna happen. It'll happen man-started 3 years ago for me, at 59

Took some lessons this past winter, got some decent clubs, playing once a week and practicing once a week

Moved from a 70-9 hole to a 44 this past friday. First time breaking 100.

For me this is a never ending learning journey. A game of chess out doors.

I'm 62 and realise I'll never make the senior's tour. I'm just enjoying getting out with my wife or a friend, staying active, enjoying that approach shot to the green that land 3 feet from the hole, once or twice a round.

Golf can be a very humbling game, and the progress isn't always linear.  You'll go out and shoot your best ever round and think you're finally starting to get it, then the very next round you could go out and shoot like you've never held a golf club before.  Don't get discouraged when you have setbacks and aren't improving as fast as you'd hoped for, most people are overly optimistic about how quickly it will happen.  Take it as it comes and enjoy the ride, it's a great game even though it tortures us sometimes. :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started up after a long break (18 year break) this january. I was shooting around 62-65 on 9 holes. I am now down to 45 on a really good day and averaging 50-55. I assume its going to take me a long time to have a good shot. I am doing everything I can - practicing/playing 2-3 times a week, taking evolvr lessons, watching videos, etc but its just something thats going to take time. My goal by the end of september is to be shooting 45 consistently with no mulligans (counting all penalties) and have a straight solid drive.

I think I will try to ease up on my standards then. I hope I can shoot close to 100 or better this year, but I will put more focus on getting a more reliable swing and develop my contact. The lessons will hopefully bring my swing back on plane. One thing I wish is that the ranges offered more than just a level even lie. Hard to practice different hill lies when you only hit them during a round. I feel like backing off the pressure, will make my rounds more enjoyable.

I think I will try to ease up on my standards then. I hope I can shoot close to 100 or better this year, but I will put more focus on getting a more reliable swing and develop my contact. The lessons will hopefully bring my swing back on plane. One thing I wish is that the ranges offered more than just a level even lie. Hard to practice different hill lies when you only hit them during a round. I feel like backing off the pressure, will make my rounds more enjoyable.

If you focus on the bolded part above, I think you'll likely find that the "100 or better" scores may come hand in hand with it (along with developing course/game management skills, which is mental rather than physical).

Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!