IGNORED

In which sports can women equal men?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would expect (could be wrong, but I don't know why) that women would compete pretty equally in most of the shooting sports. I imagine that Biathlon could be an exception.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Figure skating score has two parts: technical and presentation/artistic.

Yea, that's my fault for talking about too many sports at the same time. Of course the men are scored under the same system, so they still have to do similar things well (like skating, staying in balance, make clean turns and lines, etc.). It's not like the men get to just go from jump to jump but the women have to do a dance routine with choreography. [quote name="Yukari" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men#post_1141902"] Men are more athletic in their ballet movements whereas women are more graceful and artistic.  Even their arm/hand gestures are completely different between men and women.[/quote]Men do more athletic movements in ballet because they can, and their gestures are more "masculine" because they're men. It's a role/tradition thing, not a physical limitation. [quote name="Yukari" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men#post_1141902"] I have to strongly disagree with you on men can be as graceful as women. I think in general, women can compete with men in any sports that does not require strength and speed. [/quote]Then I don't know what to tell you. I'll point out that strength and speed can have something to do with grace and fluidity of motion. It's something you train your muscles to do. [quote name="David in FL" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men#post_1141915"]I would expect (could be wrong, but I don't know why) that women would compete pretty equally in most of the shooting sports. I imagine that Biathlon could be an exception.[/quote]I used to watch [i]Top Shot and I know there are women who are world class shooters, but I don't know how well they would do in competition against men. Here are a couple of articles I found: [URL]http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/straight-shooters-why-women-rule-the-rifle-range/[/URL] [URL]https://rivetermagazine.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/why-are-women-better-shooters/[/URL]

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was going to say Table Tennis (Ping Pong), but. . .

http://protabletennis.net/content/differences-men%E2%80%99s-and-women%E2%80%99s-game

http://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis-forum/men-vs-woman-table-tennis/

Good link.   I knew men and women play a completely different TT game - I watch World Championships, Olympic games.

Physical difference aside, in general, men are evolved to be hunter/gatherer and are more competitive and goal driven.   Women are evolved to be more relationship oriented, less ego, etc..   For that reason, even if there are no physical difference between men and women, men will do better when there's a competition involved.   I know it's a a lot of generalization and comes across like a chauvinistic statement but that's the way I see it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

But then is it a sport if strength and/or speed are not advantages?

That would depend on what you think of as a sport. Like David said, woman can and do beat men in shooting events. Someone else mentioned bowling, maximum weight of the ball is such that a woman doesn't need to be super strong to use it effectively continuously. I would say that diving would be a good one also which, again, someone else mentioned. Billiards also, again someone mentioned that. Of course not everyone considers these things sports. Another facet to this is the emerging "e-sports" which females are just as good as males. Again, it all depends on what someone considers a sport.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator

That would depend on what you think of as a sport. Like David said, woman can and do beat men in shooting events. Someone else mentioned bowling, maximum weight of the ball is such that a woman doesn't need to be super strong to use it effectively continuously. I would say that diving would be a good one also which, again, someone else mentioned. Billiards also, again someone mentioned that. Of course not everyone considers these things sports.

Women are not as good as men at billiards, and speed does occasionally play a role there. Last time I checked, anyway.

I think there's a blurry line in what defines something as a sport, but strength/speed are almost always in there, otherwise it's more of a game or an activity. In the end it boils down to one's personal opinion (i.e. darts? not a sport. A bar game or activity, but not a sport). I'm not sure how I feel about bowling. It's on the edge for me. Diving, I think men are still better, but I don't follow diving so I don't know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Women are not as good as men at billiards, and speed does occasionally play a role there. Last time I checked, anyway.

I think there's a blurry line in what defines something as a sport, but strength/speed are almost always in there, otherwise it's more of a game or an activity. In the end it boils down to one's personal opinion (i.e. darts? not a sport. A bar game or activity, but not a sport). I'm not sure how I feel about bowling. It's on the edge for me. Diving, I think men are still better, but I don't follow diving so I don't know.

Interesting on the billiards/pool thing. The experience from playing myself, women have never been any easier to beat than men unless we were on a large table where their height came into the equation. I can see how that's not an accurate way to gauge things, but that's why I included it. I don't follow diving too much either, but I didn't really see where being a male would give an advantage. I freely admit that these are just my opinions so could very well be wrong.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

It's not even close, @Lihu. The best men are much better than the best women.

Yeah, and that really surprised me, but there it is. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

http://protabletennis.net/content/differences-men%E2%80%99s-and-women%E2%80%99s-game

http://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis-forum/men-vs-woman-table-tennis/

Good link.   I knew men and women play a completely different TT game - I watch World Championships, Olympic games.

Physical difference aside, in general, men are evolved to be hunter/gatherer and are more competitive and goal driven.   Women are evolved to be more relationship oriented, less ego, etc..   For that reason, even if there are no physical difference between men and women, men will do better when there's a competition involved.   I know it's a a lot of generalization and comes across like a chauvinistic statement but that's the way I see it.

There's reasonable data behind this statement.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Equestrian sports, perhaps? Horse jumping? I think men and women compete in the same category in those events.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Equestrian sports, perhaps? Horse jumping? I think men and women compete in the same category in those events.

How about Horse Racing?  The 1915 , 1980 and 1988 Kentucky Derby champions were all females.

Side note:  (I get goosebumps every time I hear Dave Johnson say "...and down the stretch they come!") :beer:

Also, auto racing? Shirley Muldowney , as one example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

How about Horse Racing?  The 1915, 1980 and 1988 Kentucky Derby champions were all females.

Side note:  (I get goosebumps every time I hear Dave Johnson say "...and down the stretch they come!")

Also, auto racing?  Shirley Muldowney, as one example.

Well, even in horse racing, males dominate (horses, and jockeys alike).   Rarely, a mare is going to win a triple crown race.   I agree that some women is going to be just as competitive and do well against men in sports.   But everything being equal, women won't out compete men.

Maybe, rhythmic gymnastic if men are allowed to compete?   But we are only considering sports that both men and women compete, right?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I was thinking that as well.  In most of the course competitions, women dominate and I can't come up with any reasons why a female jockey would be at any disadvantage to her male counterparts in horse racing.

Joe Paradiso

How about Horse Racing?  The 1915, 1980 and 1988 Kentucky Derby champions were all females.

Side note:  (I get goosebumps every time I hear Dave Johnson say "...and down the stretch they come!")

Also, auto racing?  Shirley Muldowney, as one example.

Drag racing should be pretty even for men and women.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

I was thinking that as well.  In most of the course competitions, women dominate and I can't come up with any reasons why a female jockey would be at any disadvantage to her male counterparts in horse racing.

Don't horses do most of the work in Equestrian?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Rarely, a mare is going to win a triple crown race.

Never, in fact.  They're not allowed in triple crown races.  Triple Crown races are for 3 year olds only and a mare is an adult horse over 4. :-P

Fillies, on the other hand, can compete and win alongside the boys ... as they have 3 times in the Derby, 5 in the Preakness and twice at Belmont.  (Obviously not equal exactly, but they're there)

Note that it sounds like its perhaps similar to golf, in that length isn't a strong suit of the women.  Only 22 fillies have ever even run in the Belmont (1.5 miles long).

Depends on what you define as "work".  The rider trains and guides the horses to maneuver through the course and jumps.  If the rider doesn't time the jumps properly, they end up getting tossed.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Rarely, a mare is going to win a triple crown race.

Never, in fact.  They're not allowed in triple crown races.  Triple Crown races are for 3 year olds only and a mare is an adult horse over 4.

Fillies, on the other hand, can compete and win alongside the boys ... as they have 3 times in the Derby, 5 in the Preakness and twice at Belmont.  (Obviously not equal exactly, but they're there)

Note that it sounds like its perhaps similar to golf, in that length isn't a strong suit of the women.  Only 22 fillies have ever even run in the Belmont (1.5 miles long).

Chagrin.  You can tell it's been a while since I have been in the track.   There were times I was betting on the ponies every weekend, and becoming a winning race horse owner was in my bucket list.  A wife, mortgage, and a child later, that dream has left the track.    When it comes to gambling these days, I have become a gelding.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Depends on what you define as "work".  The rider trains and guides the horses to maneuver through the course and jumps.  If the rider doesn't time the jumps properly, they end up getting tossed.

I.e, better horses win majority of the times at the end?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I.e, better horses win majority of the times at the end?

Depends on whether you believe the horse is better because of his rider and trainer or just breeding?

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!