IGNORED

In which sports can women equal men?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The question is NOT if a few women can compete well against men in sport.   That, I know happens with number of sports.   The OT is about if women is better against men in any sport.

About the jockey comment, I agree they are good athletes both male and female ones.   But the same jockeys will tell you, without getting a good horse, they don't win.    Rarely, race is going to be won by a jockey doing something heroic.   He is there to guide the horse to a finish line, adhering to strategy told by the horse's trainer.    The best jockeys IMO are the ones who make the least amount of mistakes.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The question is NOT if a few women can compete well against men in sport.   That, I know happens with number of sports.   The OT is about if women is better against men in any sport.

The title says "equal," not better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

The title says "equal," not better.

I stand corrected.  Thanks, GDad.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Sure.  But just to follow up on what you really meant ... yeah, I was just kind of trying to do my best to throw out any sports where there was even an inkling of competition from the female side.  It's (bowling and horse racing) the best I could come up with. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Sure.  But just to follow up on what you really meant ... yeah, I was just kind of trying to do my best to throw out any sports where there was even an inkling of competition from the female side.  It's (bowling and horse racing) the best I could come up with. :)

I enjoyed the horse racing reference.  Brought me back memories ....

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Speaking of horses ... women compete well in Equestrian type events. I believe they are equal in marathon swimming

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• 3 weeks later...

It depends.

Do you consider yoga a sport?

I mean, firstly - most sports are assessed on a competitive basis; points being awarded for individual (or group) feats.

Look at the physical 'strengths' of women - flexibility, pain endurance (no joke), adaptability.

That'd lend them to being equal to or better at gymnastics. That said, even gymnastics is scored on a feat basis - men are better at sport gymnastics as it stands.

So, my guess is yoga. It's pure flexibility. That and contortionism. Neither of those are considered sports at the moment though.

It depends.

Do you consider yoga a sport?

I mean, firstly - most sports are assessed on a competitive basis; points being awarded for individual (or group) feats.

Look at the physical 'strengths' of women - flexibility, pain endurance (no joke), adaptability.

That'd lend them to being equal to or better at gymnastics. That said, even gymnastics is scored on a feat basis - men are better at sport gymnastics as it stands.

So, my guess is yoga. It's pure flexibility. That and contortionism. Neither of those are considered sports at the moment though.

How about this?

As a kid I remember that there were a lot of aerobics competitions. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

even in non-athletic events such as competitive pistol shooting (my only personal knowledge base is 3 gun bullseye where men hold all the historical records) or pool / billiards, women can be exceptional, but simply can't consistently compete against men at the absolute highest level.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

There's one sport where men and women compete against each other and women outperform their male opponents: dressage. The majority of WC and Olympic titles have been won by women.

This is one of those times I wished we had a thumbs down option.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotsclaff

This is one of those times I wished we had a thumbs down option.

And just when I thought my aerobics suggestion was over the top. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 month later...
I wonder how Ronda Rousey would fare in a fight with a lower-ranked male of the same weight class.

I would vote that she gets crushed pretty badly... I remember back in HS a few girls were on the wrestling team. No one ever understood why they would want to rope around with guys for a few hours each day.. I know the coach was always very reluctant to let them wrestle in matches.. I think maybe one of them won once, but it was against a freshman from the other highschool and she was a junior.. De weight though, but not the se as UFC competition.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I wonder how Ronda Rousey would fare in a fight with a lower-ranked male of the same weight class.

She'd lose to a professional male fighter at any level or any weight. She'd beat most regular dudes, however. I outweigh her by 65 lbs but I have no clue how to avoid an arm bar.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Ever so often a woman comes around and dominates her field and there's always those who come out and pose the question how she would do against a man. She would fail. That is actually OT. This discussion is whether there is a sport where women compete EQUALLY. That means Rhonda competing in the UFC 135lbs class with the men. She wouldn't have a chance. Period.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

She'd lose to a professional male fighter at any level or any weight. She'd beat most regular dudes, however. I outweigh her by 65 lbs but I have no clue how to avoid an arm bar.

I outweigh her by a hundred pounds and I wouldn't know how to avoid it either.  I do know how to apply one though, so perhaps the best defense is a good offense??  ;)  Nah, I think in fighting a good offense is the worst defense because you're leaving yourself vulnerable.

(For now, the only defense I know against an arm bar is to keep your hands clasped in front of you so she can't get control of one or the other - doesn't give you room to do anything though, so you're SOL either way.)

Ever so often a woman comes around and dominates her field and there's always those who come out and pose the question how she would do against a man. She would fail. That is actually OT. This discussion is whether there is a sport where women compete EQUALLY. That means Rhonda competing in the UFC 135lbs class with the men. She wouldn't have a chance. Period.

In all of these cases, and ESPECIALLY in this case, they're forgetting WHY she's so dominant.  It's partly due to her skill but mostly due to the lack of competition.  (I say that as a big fan, btw) I read in a few places that the girl she just beat has been training in MMA for all of 3 years, prior to which she was an accountant.

If she had the same quantity (and thus quality, relatively of course) of competition as the men, it would be far less likely that she'd stand out like she currently does, and that would lead people to wonder this kind of stuff (about her competing with men) far less often.

Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!