IGNORED

In which sports can women equal men?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

games:  billiards, car racing, bowling, golf, baseball, archery, shooting, etc, etc, etc

sports:  football, soccer, wrestling, volleyball, tennis, etc

I'd wonder if we'd find a couple in each catagory at some point.

Games - I think most any would be candidates if the right women would choose to try.

Sports - climbing is an obvious possibility, track and field events, speed events (skiing, sleds, etc)

even so, those are all activities I'd think are 'possible' just based on  physical considerations.  I just don't know if there is also a psychological aspect to consider too that might dominate

I have seen women beat men in high school wrestling (not that we are talking HS sports).  It was devastating for the guy who lost, he quit.  We all tried to tell him he wasn't supposed to win, that she had been wrestling for 3 years and he had been wrestling for 3 months.  His ego could not take it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have seen women beat men in high school wrestling (not that we are talking HS sports).  It was devastating for the guy who lost, he quit.  We all tried to tell him he wasn't supposed to win, that she had been wrestling for 3 years and he had been wrestling for 3 months.  His ego could not take it.

Again, we're not discussing if there are any sports, games, activities where a woman has outperformed a man. We are pondering if there are any sports (particularly) where women can equal men, not relatively,but equal. Women have zero chance of competing with the men in track and field. Even Serena Willliams herself said she couldn't compete with a male pro tennis player. Baseball is a sport in my book. Again, you could not assemble a women's pro baseball team that could compete with a male pro team. To conclude this discussion I guess we need to clarify what's considered a true "sport" vs a "game/activity". Regarding sports, I believe there are none in which women can achieve equal greatness. Relative to the obvious male advantage yes, straight up? No.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Again, we're not discussing if there are any sports, games, activities where a woman has outperformed a man. We are pondering if there are any sports (particularly) where women can equal men, not relatively,but equal. Women have zero chance of competing with the men in track and field. Even Serena Willliams herself said she couldn't compete with a male pro tennis player. Baseball is a sport in my book. Again, you could not assemble a women's pro baseball team that could compete with a male pro team. To conclude this discussion I guess we need to clarify what's considered a true "sport" vs a "game/activity".

Regarding sports, I believe there are none in which women can achieve equal greatness. Relative to the obvious male advantage yes, straight up? No.

Actually I think in that case "equal" needs to be defined more specifically.  That could then turn the discussion into are the proper handicaps, judging, or rating systems in place to define if a woman can equal a man's performance.  The post of mine you quoted was merely a fun observation from some of my time in sports, it was not intended for serious debate, my apologies if that was not conveyed as such.

I was just being wry and funny because that's my normal mode.  But I would like to offer pictures of highly refined superior 'machines of fitness' -  "professional sports athletes" - if you will, for your perusal

I was wondering which example in my list would get the first objection - I figured golf or car racing, or hunting maybe.  Not baseball.  I'm not good at guessing.

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinsk

Baseball is a sport in my book.

I was just being wry and funny because that's my normal mode.  But I would like to offer pictures of highly refined superior 'machines of fitness' -  "professional sports athletes" - if you will, for your perusal

I was wondering which example in my list would get the first objection - I figured golf or car racing, or hunting maybe.  Not baseball.  I'm not good at guessing.

The one in the lower right hand corner reminds me of what I thought a typical golfer looked like when I was a kid. :-D

Nice post! :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Um, those fat guys can swing a bat and hit a ball traveling at 95 mph over 450 feet. It doesn't matter if they have fat on them. You don't think football is a sport? Tell that to the 300 pound linemen that can run 4.5 40 yard dashes.

Um, those fat guys can swing a bat and hit a ball traveling at 95 mph over 450 feet. It doesn't matter if they have fat on them.

You don't think football is a sport? Tell that to the 300 pound linemen that can run 4.5 40 yard dashes.

is there a list that fits that stat?  that's seriously impressive... soooooooo
no way - YOU tell him, I can't outrun those guys

Frankly, I have a hard time with fatty golfers calling it a 'sport' let alone activities where you might have to run unless you 'designate' someone else to run for you.  So in that reference, call baseball what you like, a lot of those guys get to run on occasion.

(I actually had football on the "sport" list BTW.  we all have our own personal subjective list of sport/not sport - try not to take it personally.  I know that is hard for golfers..)

Bill - 

Frankly, I have a hard time with fatty golfers calling it a 'sport' let alone activities where you might have to run unless you 'designate' someone else to run for you.  So in that reference, call baseball what you like, a lot of those guys get to run on occasion.

(I actually had football on the "sport" list BTW.  we all have our own personal subjective list of sport/not sport - try not to take it personally.  I know that is hard for golfers..)

Joking aside, the definition of sport include baseball in it's definition. Maybe it's not as athletic as other sports, but is still considered as such.

spôrt/
noun
noun: sport ; plural noun: sports
1 .
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"

synonyms:(competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics ;

"we did a lot of sports"

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Joking aside,

that kinda deflates the points of my posts...

1 - to joke around

2 - identify who's humorless on that specific topic

but....good points regardless.  I bow to the dictionary.

cheers

Bill - 

is there a list that fits that stat?  that's seriously impressive... soooooooo no way - YOU tell him, I can't outrun those guys [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/130690/] [/URL]  Frankly, I have a hard time with fatty golfers calling it a 'sport' let alone activities where you might have to run unless you 'designate' someone else to run for you.  So in that reference, call baseball what you like, a lot of those guys get to run on occasion. (I actually had football on the "sport" list BTW.  we all have our own [U]personal subjective[/U] list of sport/not sport - try not to take it personally.  I know that is hard for golfers..)

Why is being a good runner a prerequisite for you to consider an activity a sport? There are other things like strength that matter just as much. Swinging a bat harder than anyone else and having elite hand eye coordination is definitely athletic.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/144#post_1191345"] Joking aside, [/QUOTE] that kinda deflates the points of my posts... 1 - to joke around 2 - identify who's humorless on that specific topic but....good points regardless.  I bow to the dictionary. cheers

Quite honestly, most people I know don't consider either a sport either. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

having elite hand eye coordination is definitely athletic.

yeah - was working out in the gym and this guy comes comes in fit as hell.

clearly a video game champ

joking aside since you don't seem to find amusement in it....

I respect your definition and position.  I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions it takes you to.  And that's not a big deal.

let me repeat a point a wise man once said...

" we all have our own personal subjective list of sport/not sport - try not to take it personally"

Bill - 

yeah - was working out in the gym and this guy comes comes in fit as hell. clearly a video game champ joking aside since you don't seem to find amusement in it.... [COLOR=181818]I respect your definition and position.  I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions it takes you to.  And that's not a big deal.[/COLOR] let me repeat a point a wise man once said... "[COLOR=181818]we all have our own [/COLOR][U][COLOR=181818]personal subjective[/COLOR][/U][COLOR=181818] list of sport/not sport - try not to take it personally"[/COLOR]

Sometimes people are just wrong and the answer is objectively obvious. Baseball is a sport and the players are amazing athletes. Sorry but you are 100% wrong.

My own joking aside, I know a couple minor league players, and they are pretty good athletes. Lean and strong. The big league players are all bigger and stronger. The collegiate and other young golfers are pretty athletic too!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Sometimes people are just wrong and the answer is objectively obvious. Baseball is a sport and the players are amazing athletes. Sorry but you are 100% wrong.

Fine, I was nice about it, but clearly making progress on item 2 here.

1 - to joke around

LiHu - Also, my nephew made it through college on a baseball scholarship - it's a standing gag to have the discussion because it's fun.  Thanks for the back and forth.  fun stuff.

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

Fine, I was nice about it, but clearly making progress on item 2 here.

1 - to joke around

LiHu - Also, my nephew made it through college on a baseball scholarship - it's a standing gag to have the discussion because it's fun.  Thanks for the back and forth.  fun stuff.

Yeah, same here. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!