IGNORED

"The A Swing: The Alternative Approach to Great Golf" by David Leadbetter

iacas
Note: This thread is 1970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Not very good

Why did you litter the Reading Room with all these useless posts?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/16/2017 at 5:17 PM, iacas said:

Why did you litter the Reading Room with all these useless posts?

I could go into depth on why I dislike the a swing method and Leadbetter in general but I will not.  I have one word that describes what he teaches perfectly...wait for it...

manipulation!  

Also thanks for referring to my thoughts as worthless.  Point noted.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jack Watson said:

Also thanks for referring to my thoughts as worthless.  Point noted.

Uhhhhhh, I didn't. Read.

My review of all your posts: "Not very good."

I'm not a Leadvetter fan either but "not very good" isn't worth the time it took to post.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Ressurecting an oldish thread so Mods feel free to move to a new one.

I bought the book a few months ago simply to learn about different ways of hitting the ball and had absolutely no intention of learning the swing (I actually thought this was a faintly silly way of swinging when the book was released as i stated earlier in this thread). I read the book front to back and was very impressed with how it was written and present. Clear and simple with not much in the way of tech talk and jargon unlike others such as S&T (found that hard going). I also liked the fact they turned the photos into sketches, gave it that old school kind of look.
I have had mild success with my current swing up to the end of last year but found that i had to be really "on" it as any lack of consistency caused huge problems. The frustration levels were increasing so one range session i gave the A swing a little go.......and hooked the snot out of my first 10 shots. After making a few adjustments i was managing to hit a little draw. I hate this about golf, when something niggles after a range session my mind cant stop thinking about what if's. So, for the first time ever, i decided to commit to a method and go full A swing for better or for worse in order to be able to give feedback.

I read the book twice more while concentrating on the grip. Its a little weird with string left and week right and i couldnt get comfy with my interlock grip. A switch to 10 finger helped me a lot. With the grip becoming more natural i started on the 7 minute practice routine. I like this as it can be done at home with or without a club. My plan was to do the drills and a lot of mirror work before even attempting to hit a ball.

After 2 weeks i started hitting foam balls but swinging in stages, starting as DL does in some of his videos, starting with the core coiling then hinging the wrists before finally completing the rotation and hitting the ball. Now this was weird as the motion of getting the club not only steep on the backswing but also across the line as shown in the book was not only simple but felt very natural.

After feeling comfortable with the swing i took it to the range. Results we so-so. Some really good shots and some tops, thins and even the odd slice. After asking one of the proshop staff to have a look at me it turned out i was standing up during the backswing and not turning the left shoulder down as shown in the book and the videos of Ryan Blaum. Result of fix: Solid contact, good distance and a big smile.

Had another session at the weekend and worked on trusting the swing as, for me, as soon as i started thinking too much about the individual stages of the swing it went a bit wrong. Providing the hands are in the and the clubhead is out (and "looking" at the ball) and the hinge starts at my right thigh the rest of the swing feels automatic. Results: Able to hit my nemesis clubs (driver. 5w and 5 iron) with confidence.

I have made a few adjustments such as a stance closer to neutral than closes as advised in the book which gave me a nice straight/slight draw shape but other than that i am "by the book" as much as is possible for a home schooled golfer.

One thing i will say is the V plane. A few mentioned that the average golfer would struggle to pull this off and to a point I agree. If you try to make the club shallow out I found it all went to pot, however if you let it happen with the weight/pressure moving forward to start the downswing it actually shallows out a surprising amount naturally. This really is a swing where you have to trust it will do as advertised. Its compact, easy to understand and, so far, learn and consistent.

I am due to get back on the course soon (home course still closed thanks to the snow, rain, more snow then rain again) so i'll let you all know how it goes.

I dont think its a swing for everyone, some will be put off by the "Alternative" tag line but its a viable way of playing golf.

P.s. I know the swing has been out for a few years but i have a habit of jumping on the bandwagon after everyone else has jumped off! :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 7 months later...

I've had the book two years now and I have to say I like the 'system'. It has led to consistent ball-striking and better misses. I need very little practice to maintain it. Don't knock it til you fully try it.

Note: This thread is 1970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!