IGNORED

"Moving the needle" and Rory vs. Rickie vs. Tiger

k-troop
Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If Tiger hadn't been in the hunt, I wouldn't have been watching.  Glad I did because in the end I was pulling for Davis, one of the guys from my era.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Tiger hadn't been in the hunt, I wouldn't have been watching.  Glad I did because in the end I was pulling for Davis, one of the guys from my era.

Sadly, I sort of have to agree, even as a non-Tiger fan. No other big names were even playing as far as I could see. Its like the week after a major everyone is hung over, I suppose it was good for the PGA that Tiger decided to play, money wise.

Tiger still moves the needle.

Tweeted by CBS Sports PR and noted in this unbylined AP story, the final round Nielsen 3.9 is the highest non-major since Tiger's 2013 Players win (5.7). This was also CBS best non-major audience since July 2012 (also Tiger at the AT&T; National), and comes on top of an excellent final round PGA Championship showing.

Golf Channel's Wyndham coverage saw huge boosts each day as well, even when Tiger was not in Thursday's TV window.  Round one drew .67 (+20%), and the best since 2006. Round two with Woods posting a 65, drew a 1.29, up 152% and the best ever Friday rating for the Wyndham.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/8/24/tiger-wyndham-on-cbs-draws-best-non-major-ratings-in-two-yea.html

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

No doubt he still moves the needle. He's one of those guys whether you like him or hate him....you watch him. Like A-Rod....a lot of people hate him, yet they still tune in when he's at bat. Talked to a buddy that works at ESPN this weekend who said he hates Tiger, but at the same time, he roots for him to be in contention every week because it's good for the game. I think a lot of people feel the same way....myself included. When he's on, people watch.

Tiger still moves the needle.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/8/24/tiger-wyndham-on-cbs-draws-best-non-major-ratings-in-two-yea.html

That's why I wanted him to win.  The FedEx ratings are not going to be very good without him in it and everyone will start talking about how golf is on the decline.

Joe Paradiso

I think golf is far from being on the decline. I actually think it's on the upswing, but it's gonna take consistency from Rory and Jordan and majors with them duking it out to grow the ratings to where they were at the height of the Tiger days. It's just not gonna happen overnight with a new star or stars. It has to evolve with time. If Jordan has another year next year like this year, the viewership will continue to rise. We're still too close from being in the Tiger era for a new player to impact ratings drastically. If this was 20 years from now, it'd be a different story.

That's why I wanted him to win.  The FedEx ratings are not going to be very good without him in it and everyone will start talking about how golf is on the decline.

How does this affect you exactly? If the fedex ratings are not quite up to speed?

How does this affect you exactly? If the fedex ratings are not quite up to speed?

It doesn't affect me directly, but I think it's to all our benefit if golf isn't perceived by the general public to be declining due to poor ratings.

I also enjoy watching tournaments more when Tiger is competing but I know you're not a Tiger fan so I'm sure you disagree.

Joe Paradiso

It doesn't affect me directly, but I think it's to all our benefit if golf isn't perceived by the general public to be declining due to poor ratings.

I also enjoy watching tournaments more when Tiger is competing but I know you're not a Tiger fan so I'm sure you disagree.

True golf fans don't give a shit about ratings, they care about watching great golf, no matter who is playing.

[QUOTE name="newtogolf" url="/t/83943/2015-wyndham-championship-discussion-thread/288#post_1190136"]   It doesn't affect me directly, but I think it's to all our benefit if golf isn't perceived by the general public to be declining due to poor ratings. I also enjoy watching tournaments more when Tiger is competing but I know you're not a Tiger fan so I'm sure you disagree. [/QUOTE] True golf fans don't give a shit about ratings, they care about watching great golf, no matter who is playing.

ah, the old "true golf fans" put-down... lots of great golf being played on the web.com tour, i'm sure you are tuned in for every minute of it... i've played and watched golf for over 40 years... i consider myself a "true golf fan"... but my weekend time is valuable, especially in the summertime, and you have to give me a real good reason to use some of it watching golf on tv... and no, "player x playing great" isn't a good enough reason... sorry...

I don't watch football anymore, but when I did, I did not watch La Liga and Bundesliga (Spain and Germany), because I wasn't interested in those teams. I primarily watched the team I supported and sometimes big matches between others. It's silly to say that you should watch golf only for the golf and that the players do not matter.

Also, the "true golf fan" argument is silly. You can define create your own group of people that watch any golf, regardless of who is playing and call them something, but not "true golf fans".

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

ah, the old "true golf fans" put-down...

lots of great golf being played on the web.com tour, i'm sure you are tuned in for every minute of it...

i've played and watched golf for over 40 years... i consider myself a "true golf fan"... but my weekend time is valuable, especially in the summertime, and you have to give me a real good reason to use some of it watching golf on tv... and no, "player x playing great" isn't a good enough reason... sorry...

As you said, my time is valuable and I want to spend it wisely. When I watch golf I want to watch the absolute best players in the world. Not just guys in the top 100, but guys in the top 10. I set aside a few hours a few Sundays each year to watch the final round of the majors. I enjoy these and I decide that this is the best use of my time. The rest of the golf season, if I am not busy or just hanging around the house, I will flip golf on the TV because I enjoy watching it, even if it isn't the top guys.

- Mark

True golf fans don't give a shit about ratings, they care about watching great golf, no matter who is playing.

Hell, I watch the European Tour when I am working out in the morning.

Sure, Tiger moves the needle and it is great for golf when he plays and actually competes, but it doesn't impact whether I will watch. It certainly would not impact my decision to watch the playoffs. I'm all in.

The only thing that will keep me from watching golf on Sunday afternoon is if the Eagles are playing.

Bill M

True golf fans want what's good for golf. They may or may not even watch golf if they'd rather be out playing golf, but they understand that increased viewership , whatever the reason, benefits the game they love.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

True golf fans want what's good for golf. They may or may not even watch golf if they'd rather be out playing golf, but they understand that increased viewership , whatever the reason, benefits the game they love.

Yup ... especially the part about playing rather than watching. If the tournament happens to be a big one, that's what dvr is for. :)

Yup ... especially the part about playing rather than watching. If the tournament happens to be a big one, that's what dvr is for. :)

Same here. Given the choice between playing and watching, I'll choose playing most of the time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thank you.Im glad someone understands the game of golf being much bigger than one ....hasbeen.If you stop playing or watching golf just cause Tiger isnt around then thats sad.

This is an odd statement.

If you are a true golf fan you want better ratings.  Better ratings equal more TV coverage and more sponsorships...

If golf had awful ratings, do you think we would get less or more coverage?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!