Sign in to follow this  
keeps21

Is it just me or does this look a bit chicken wingy?

Note: This thread is 2016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 posts / 2168 viewsLast Reply

https://vine.co/v/eAwK7weOXg6

Ah... apparently it's a well known fact that Westwood swings like this.

Spieth does it a little bit too - anyone else noticed that?

They talked about it during Masters coverage a little.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you mean not fully stretching the arms at around impact?

Lead arm bending coming into impact. Trail arm should be bent at impact but it's in the act of straightening.

Holy Cow! If I had that much chicken wing, my ball would slice or fade for miles!

Jordan Spieth has bent left elbow, not as much as Westwood.

Just shows that lead elbow doesnt have to be straight at impact.

I dont think about this in my full swing, but I do notice that  I keep my lead elbow straight when I pitch the ball.

Holy Cow! If I had that much chicken wing, my ball would slice or fade for miles!

If it looked like Westwood then you wouldn't, he still achieves Key #3, shaft and lead forearm are inline.

If it looked like Westwood then you wouldn't, he still achieves Key #3, shaft and lead forearm are inline.

Does Westwood's chicken wing mean he can get more shaft lean as his the shaft isn't anchored to where his shoulder is? (if that makes sense). It looks as is forearm can be angled more towards to the right due to the bent elbow giving a greater flying wedge? (And possibly even more secondary axis tilt?)

Does this benefit him at all? If he didn't have a chicken wing and hit the ball with the same amount of shaft lean as he does with the chicken wing would the ball flight be any different, more/less distance?

(Don't worry I'm not going to try to swing with a chicken wing on purpose)

off the top of my head, guys who have bent left elbow at impact with longer clubs:

westwood

oosthuizen

poulter

rory

tiger

fowler

i'm sure this list is not exhaustive

Does this benefit him at all? If he didn't have a chicken wing and hit the ball with the same amount of shaft lean as he does with the chicken wing would the ball flight be any different, more/less distance?

I don't think the chicken wing gives him anything extra, it's just how he reaches inline impact.

Note: This thread is 2016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this