IGNORED

If You Had Only Five Clubs to Play With…

georgep
Note: This thread is 833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 members have voted

1. 1. What clubs would you choose for a Five-Club Challenge?

• Driver
    • 3-4 wood (or hybrid 13*-17*)
    • 5-7 wood (or hybrid 18*-22*)
    • 3-iron
    • 4-iron
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • PW
    • Gap Wedge
    • Lob Wedge
    • Putter
    • Other (2-irons, more lofted hybrids, etc.)
    • Sand Wedge

Driver, 3-hybrid, 6-iron, GW, putter.

My five favorite clubs at the moment. They form a nice range of distances.

I've lately found my driver to be about as accurate as my 3-Wood off the tee. Driver then 3-Hybrid produces about as much distance as I can expect from 3-Wood 3-Wood. The 3-Hybrid will also be a necessity at a great number of par-3s for me. I figure I could get creative with a 6-iron if I had to, and I love my gap wedge. And well, the putter.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

which five would you choose?

3 wood, 3 iron, 7 iron, PW, and putter.

I can work the ball pretty good with the 3 wood and hit it 240-250 so distance wouldn't suffer too badly off the tee. 3 iron for punch shots and long approach shots. 7 iron because I can do (almost) anything with it. PW for around the greens. I'd prefer to have all my wedges but I could get away with the PW in a pinch just by opening the clubface. And the putter...well, that's pretty obvious.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

3W
4I
7I
GW
Putter

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Really depends which course I would be playing, but I chose
19* hybrid
5 iron
8 iron
58* lw
putter

our league has a three club tournament and I used a
19* hybrid
6 iron
8 iron
I putted with the hybrid and shot a 39.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

3-wood: This is my best club off the tee; I only use the driver a couple times a round anyway.
4-iron: I thought about my 22-degree hybrid, but the 4-iron is a little more versatile for me. It's good for punching out from under the trees, anyway.
7-iron: See the original article. Same thing.
PW: I got along for years with this as my only wedge, no reason I can't do it again.
Putter: Reasonably obvious choice.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

3w 3i 8i PW P
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Driver: No time for course management ....this club will allow me to open the course up.

2i: My chicken stick ...from high cuts to low draw stingers, it's my "fairway getter".

7i: Versatile ...can hit it 110 or 180

58*: From high flops to low spinners ...versatile club

Putter: Need something for those tap ins.
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

I remember back when I was in High School, I played in a 3-Club tournament. Our local town had a golf association that would throw different kinds of tournaments throughout the year. The 3-Club tourney was a tough one. With 5 clubs, I think I could shoot close to my usual score.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

3 hybrid- tee shots, long shots especially out of the rough, chipping etc.
3 iron- for those shots i need to keep tight, and its a club im comfortable taking a little bit off of to cover lower yardages
7 iron- my comfort club, just a club im totally intune with from full swing to 1/4 swings or what have you
sw
putter

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

I'm always surprised at how many players choose the putter in these tournaments. With 5 clubs maybe you might get away with a one dimensional club, but I've played in 3 club and 4 club events and you really limit your options if you choose to take the putter. I love my putter, but for this kind of an event, I use my hybrid for putting, for short layups off the tee, and for anything from 4 iron to 6 iron range. That leaves me with a spot to add what I feel are the real scoring clubs, which are the short irons.

I take:
Driver (which I can also hit off the deck)
5 hybrid
7 iron
9 iron
Gap wedge

The GW is my 100 yard club, so I make a point of leaving that yardage on approaches whenever possible.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm always surprised at how many players choose the putter in these tournaments. With 5 clubs maybe you might get away with a one dimensional club, but I've played in 3 club and 4 club events and you really limit your options if you choose to take the putter. I love my putter, but for this kind of an event, I use my hybrid for putting, for short layups off the tee, and for anything from 4 iron to 6 iron range. That leaves me with a spot to add what I feel are the real scoring clubs, which are the short irons.

Scoring club? Considering that par is determined by how many shots it takes to get to the green and 2 putts. Don't you want your best club suited to putting?

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

• Administrator
I'm always surprised at how many players choose the putter in these tournaments. With 5 clubs maybe you might get away with a one dimensional club, but I've played in 3 club and 4 club events and you really limit your options if you choose to take the putter.

To be fair, we weren't asked what clubs we'd take in a three-club tournament or even a four-club tournament...

For the sake of... whatever, in a three-club tournament I'd take hybrid, 6-iron, pitching wedge. I'd putt with the pitching wedge (blade).
I love my putter, but for this kind of an event, I use my hybrid for putting, for short layups off the tee, and for anything from 4 iron to 6 iron range. That leaves me with a spot to add what I feel are the real scoring clubs, which are the short irons.

I only listed one wedge in my set, and the putter, because I'm creative enough to use one wedge from a variety of lies and from a variety of yardages. I don't need a 9-iron and a gap wedge - my pitching wedge can do both - and with my skillset, it'd be a complete waste to take two clubs when one will suffice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
3 Wood - Screams off the tee & long off the fairway.
4 Hybrid - Great utility club; great on long par 3's.
7 Iron - The longer clubs above will get me into scoring range.
PW - For chips within the cabbage.
Putter - Because I can.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

3W, 15* - Chose it over a driver due to versatility. Can hit it off the tee or the deck.

4H, 21* - Use it on long par 3s and long approach shots

7I - Approach shot distances between easy (9:00) choked 4H and full PW. Can also chip with it.

PW - Short approach shots and around the green. I can use it from the sand but have trouble hitting SW from the fairway.

Putter - As long as I don't have to face any forced carries, I can use this within 20 yards from the green. Most reliable club around the green,especially with a tight lie and under pressure. It's also quite handy on it.

What's in my cart and stand bag:
Driver: C4 9* Stiff
R7 425 9* Stiff
Wood: Redline 15* Regular
Hybrids: Idea 17* and 21* RegularIrons: Idea 5-9, incl PW and SW RegularPutter: Rossa Monza Corza and Rossa Lambeau 2 ball bladeBalls: Any. Find many, lose a few

And if it was a 3 club tourney, I'd take a 4H, PW and Putter. I am really surprised that fourputt would leave out his putter in favor of a 9I or GW. Is putting with a hybrid really that easy for you? The only time I leave out the putter is in a 2 club tourney, in which case I might replace the 4H with a 3H or 3W, just for the lower loft. But the 4H probably stays. I'm just too comfortable with it everywhere else.

What's in my cart and stand bag:
Driver: C4 9* Stiff
R7 425 9* Stiff
Wood: Redline 15* Regular
Hybrids: Idea 17* and 21* RegularIrons: Idea 5-9, incl PW and SW RegularPutter: Rossa Monza Corza and Rossa Lambeau 2 ball bladeBalls: Any. Find many, lose a few

Note: This thread is 833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!