IGNORED

How To Improve My Handicap in 21 Days...

Note: This thread is 2709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On November 29, 2015 at 0:40 AM, Jameson said:

Hi all, I´m still training to play better and improve my skills. This weekend, I play 2 rounds, and my iron ball striking was not bad, but the driver is still not consistent, and the putt must be better. I am not bad at short game and putt, but it´s definitely an area where you can cut a lot of strokes... 

I started really well, with a bogey and 2 pars, but I was too relaxed and little by little the course was pushing me out... I think that I should learn to have more craftiness, I mean I see so many people with a worse ball striking than mine, and yet the have lower handicaps...

Today I going to practise long game, full swing, and a lot of aproach and putt. Will tell you my impressions morrow.

Thanks!

How do you know your ball striking is better than them?

9 minutes ago, Jameson said:

I´m gonna to start again with my training, having in mind playing consistently (around 85-90). Don´t know why, but my irons doesn´t feel as good as before, and neither my approach does... will begin reading the book again. 

85-90 is good golf with lots of bad shots.

Most people think they are better than the people around them, I guess that's a self con? You really need to have someone look at your swing either through video or personal contact.  It's easier to see someone else's swing flaws than your own. I happen to have kids who play and their coaches are pretty nice about making comments, and I play with a bunch of people with my handicap or better. I also plan to post some videos with regularity here.

It's always better to get another point of view. Feel is not real, and ball striking for a person shooting mid to high 90s is not going to be very objective.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

How do you know your ball striking is better than them?

85-90 is good golf with lots of bad shots.

Most people think they are better than the people around them, I guess that's a self con? You really need to have someone look at your swing either through video or personal contact.  It's easier to see someone else's swing flaws than your own. I happen to have kids who play and their coaches are pretty nice about making comments, and I play with a bunch of people with my handicap or better. I also plan to post some videos with regularity here.

It's always better to get another point of view. Feel is not real, and ball striking for a person shooting mid to high 90s is not going to be very objective.

I hear you. But I know when a player has a better iron ball strike than me, and worse. Not only distance tells you, swing and sound does it too. I don´t have a bad swing, and I am very stubborn, so I´m gonna reach single digits. :)

Going to start training hard and enjoying the chase!

And thanks for your comments!

:nike:

22 minutes ago, Jameson said:

I hear you. But I know when a player has a better iron ball strike than me, and worse. Not only distance tells you, swing and sound does it too. I don´t have a bad swing, and I am very stubborn, so I´m gonna reach single digits. :)

Going to start training hard and enjoying the chase!

And thanks for your comments!

You didn't really answer his question..  If they score better then trust me their ball striking is better than yours.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

20 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

You didn't really answer his question..  If they score better then trust me their ball striking is better than yours.

This sentence does not make any sense. Golf is much more than ball striking. Much More

26 minutes ago, Jameson said:

This sentence does not make any sense. Golf is much more than ball striking. Much More

I guess we will have to disagree on this.  To me golf is only about ball striking.  Heck, if I get 15-16 GIRs a round WTF do I need short game skills for?  :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Will let you know in about 60 days ... if something works.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I guess we will have to disagree on this.  To me golf is only about ball striking.  Heck, if I get 15-16 GIRs a round WTF do I need short game skills for?  :)

Well, our point of views, actually are not so different. The most important thing in golf is ball striking, yes. The only one, nope. I´ve seen a buch of guys with a medium ball striking quality (worse contact, and shorter distance than I get) making better results thant I do, it´s a fact. And, if you get 16 GIRs you don´t need short game skills, and you could beat Spieth too.

Edited by Jameson

27 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Putting still counts as short game does it not?

I went through a serious funk with the putter recently that drove me insane.  I would have a putt for at least par on the vast majority of holes (now not all of these were going to fall even if I was perfect) and to watch myself 3 putt on so many of them gets very discouraging.  Eventually I got to the point where I had almost no confidence on  any 3+ foot putt, it was taking scores that used to range in the low 80s to scores that barely broke 90.  I think I've started to come out of it, only time will tell, but there are times when I'd take a bad ball striking day to putt the lights out just for my own confidence.

With that said, I pretty much agree with you on this subject.  If I am not striking the ball I'm probably going to score pretty awful even if I have a good short game day.  Unfortunately for my level bad ball striking can mean disaster on holes.

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

36 minutes ago, Jameson said:

Well, our point of views, actually are not so different. The most important thing in golf is ball striking, yes. The only one, nope. I´ve seen a buch of guys with a medium ball striking quality (worse contact, and shorter distance than I get) making better results thant I do, it´s a fact. And, if you get 16 GIRs you don´t need short game skills, and you could beat Spieth too.

You can't really tell, some clubs just sound worse than others. The one way to tell is by your true*** dispersion. While some people hit shorter than others, their strikes could still be pure.

As my ball striking improved, I've noticed how good other people around me strike the ball and not the other way around. There's a lot of good players out there+++, and it's only a matter of figuring out what your own weaknesses are that you will improve.

***Not your own perception, but actual.

+++At least at my home course, I noticed that a good 1/3 of the golfers or more are right around the mid handicap (8-12) range. The ones with the higher end of mid handicap usually hit the ball not as well, but hit a long way (possibly longer than you). The older ones who can't hit far leave tight little piles of balls on the range where they hit them. I assume that given the USGA statistics for handicaps that this is a general case in the US.

32 minutes ago, baller7345 said:

Putting still counts as short game does it not?

I went through a serious funk with the putter recently that drove me insane.  I would have a putt for at least par on the vast majority of holes (now not all of these were going to fall even if I was perfect) and to watch myself 3 putt on so many of them gets very discouraging.  Eventually I got to the point where I had almost no confidence on  any 3+ foot putt, it was taking scores that used to range in the low 80s to scores that barely broke 90.  I think I've started to come out of it, only time will tell, but there are times when I'd take a bad ball striking day to putt the lights out just for my own confidence.

With that said, I pretty much agree with you on this subject.  If I am not striking the ball I'm probably going to score pretty awful even if I have a good short game day.  Unfortunately for my level bad ball striking can mean disaster on holes.

Yes, but ideally you really want to be as close to the pin as possible before your first putt.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, Jameson said:

Ok I get what you are saying, let´s improve my ball striking !!! 

"our"

We could all use improved ball striking. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Jameson said:

It's more about ball striking than anything else.

Curve is part of ballstriking.

4 hours ago, Jameson said:

Ok I get what you are saying, let´s improve my ball striking !!! 

For what I hope is the last time, @JamesonPost a Member Swing thread with good video of your swing.

Seriously, we can't guess and relying on what you tell us your issues are is fraught with error.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, Jameson said:

Ball striking is very important in golf. Better players almost always advance the ball towards their target and manage their miss. 

Dave :-)

I am going to start my training with a weekly practise range session, play on weekends, a lesson once a month and reading and watching videos. Have to think about my next goal... :content:... 14 handicap?? maybe

I am thinking in signing for evolvr... I am stuck and can´t see improvements on my game. What do you think about evolvr?? Thanks,

20 minutes ago, Jameson said:

I am thinking in signing for evolvr... I am stuck and can´t see improvements on my game. What do you think about evolvr?? Thanks,

I highly recommend it. You get to go at your pace and get great instruction.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Jameson said:

Although, I think that's a great idea, I would not expect to see a 2 stroke improvement between last Friday and the time of your post.

Golf takes time. Even if your swing dramatically improved overnight and you suddenly can hit a straight country mile, you won't start scoring that much better for at least a dozen rounds. It takes time to improve.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 months later...

I have joined Evolvr and I am going to improve. I will share with you my concerns and questions based on the insight given my by evolvr teachers.

;-)

Note: This thread is 2709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!