IGNORED

How To Improve My Handicap in 21 Days...

Note: This thread is 2713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, I´m still training to play better and improve my skills. This weekend, I play 2 rounds, and my iron ball striking was not bad, but the driver is still not consistent, and the putt must be better. I am not bad at short game and putt, but it´s definitely an area where you can cut a lot of strokes... 

I started really well, with a bogey and 2 pars, but I was too relaxed and little by little the course was pushing me out... I think that I should learn to have more craftiness, I mean I see so many people with a worse ball striking than mine, and yet the have lower handicaps...

Today I going to practise long game, full swing, and a lot of aproach and putt. Will tell you my impressions morrow.

Thanks!

:nike:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi again. I am having issues with my driver (once again) and this is wrecking my rounds. I just read that a good drill is to try to hit the ball more toward the toe of my driver face on purpose... many times I feel that I hit the driver on the heel of the face, so maybe it´s a good drill for me. 

What you think ?? Someone has tried this before??

Thanks.,

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Jameson said:

Hi again. I am having issues with my driver (once again) and this is wrecking my rounds. I just read that a good drill is to try to hit the ball more toward the toe of my driver face on purpose... many times I feel that I hit the driver on the heel of the face, so maybe it´s a good drill for me. 

@Jameson, how's the video coming?

Trying to hit the ball on the toe is like trying to thin the ball when you're hitting it fat. It's generally not a good idea.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, Jameson said:

Thanks.,

What @iacas suggested (posting a video if you need or want help), and also just wanted to comment that you shouldn't just randomly change your setup as you seem to be suggesting?

Even if you don't post the video, I suggest that you video your swing anyway. Video your course swings. Often times, you could do really bad things on the course as opposed to on the range where you pretty much do the same thing over and over again in succession (hopefully not rapid. . .)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I read earlier that you had an 85 mph swing speed with your driver?  That's not very fast.  Are you very old, very young, not athletic?  With that SS, you should be able to find the center of the club face if your mechanics are halfway reasonable.

I have an idea.  Post a video, so we can see what you're doing. :-D

Personally, I haven't posted any videos of myself since I'm technically challenged.  I don't own a phone, camera or video recorder.  My kids have phones, but I don't want to ask them.  I still watch VHS.  My land line is a rotary.  I don't want to tell you what I do for a living because you'd laugh. :8)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

On 7/12/2015 at 9:19 PM, vangator said:

I read earlier that you had an 85 mph swing speed with your driver?  That's not very fast.  Are you very old, very young, not athletic?  With that SS, you should be able to find the center of the club face if your mechanics are halfway reasonable.

I have an idea.  Post a video, so we can see what you're doing. :-D

Personally, I haven't posted any videos of myself since I'm technically challenged.  I don't own a phone, camera or video recorder.  My kids have phones, but I don't want to ask them.  I still watch VHS.  My land line is a rotary.  I don't want to tell you what I do for a living because you'd laugh. :8)

Hi, thanks for the information. I am athletic, and I am trying to gain more SS, I think right now is around 91 mph or so. Yesterday at the range I hit some good drives and I was thinking about not go too far with the drive (like mid swing) and thus I was not making overswing.... and two, I was concentrated on hingin my wrists on tha back swing. It worked!! have to practise more with these 2 feeling in mind...

Keep your muscles loose.  Tense muscles are slow muscles.  Loose muscles are fast.  if you're not gripping the club too firmly, you should be able to get 100+ if you're athletic.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Not sure what happened, if the OP reached his goal or whatever, but I've seen 2 points movement doing nothing it's just how the incoming/outgoing differentials shook out. That's kind of normal how my season goes stuff. My handicap in 2015 had a range of about 3.5 points but the difference between were I started and eventually ended was 0.4.

Dave :-)

Hi, incredible how I improve my strike relaxing my grip and in general my muscles (I think). The problem is thath when you see photos of pros, you think that they are tense, and you try to do the same (big mistake!)...

My idea yesterday was to keep tension on my lower body and core, but relax my grip and arms (and shorten my backswing)... Is hard to do it, but I think it´ll work.

Keep working on that...

Amazing match yesterday, playing relaxed and with a smooth swing, for 88 strikes and no holes without point. new handicap and better sensations !!! 

2 hours ago, Jameson said:

Amazing match yesterday, playing relaxed and with a smooth swing, for 88 strikes and no holes without point. new handicap and better sensations !!! 

Congratulations, you made your goal. Not in 21 days, but in 7 months as many predicted.

Golf takes time. . .

Good job getting there!:beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Jameson said:

Soon I should update my challenge, to reach to Single Digits !!! 

:banana:

Nice enthusiasm! Keep on getting better!

Single digits take a lot of doing the right things. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thanks! Last round I made 8 pars, so good. Close to make some birdies. So right now I have to fix my double bogies, and eradicate them !

1 hour ago, Jameson said:

Thanks! Last round I made 8 pars, so good. Close to make some birdies. So right now I have to fix my double bogies, and eradicate them !

The way to do that is to improve your swing. It will reduce your doubles and help make birdies. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

17 hours ago, Lihu said:

The way to do that is to improve your swing. It will reduce your doubles and help make birdies. . .

Couldn´t agree more, the key is the ball striking.

However, the last round, I took some bad decisions (a 7 iron instead of a 6, and fall in a bunker, a bad recuperation shot under the trees because my ball hit the trees (was too high), ...). :-O

Everything counts in this awesome game.

6 hours ago, Jameson said:

Couldn´t agree more, the key is the ball striking.

However, the last round, I took some bad decisions (a 7 iron instead of a 6, and fall in a bunker, a bad recuperation shot under the trees because my ball hit the trees (was too high), ...). :-O

Everything counts in this awesome game.

Sure, everything counts.

Better players have a better feel how far they will hit their clubs for any given shot. Hitting short does happen, but usually on a mishit. Trees also happen to everyone, but hitting them too high happens less on average for a better player. Plus, they make more greens on average.

It's a statistical thing where better players make less mistakes because they have a better swing.

The better the swing, the lower the handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 3 months later...

I´m gonna to start again with my training, having in mind playing consistently (around 85-90). Don´t know why, but my irons doesn´t feel as good as before, and neither my approach does... will begin reading the book again. 

Note: This thread is 2713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!