IGNORED

NCAA Women's golf championships

tdiii
Note: This thread is 3254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I enjoyed watching the matches and thought the pace of play was OK, maybe a little slow but not bad and there was lot at stake. Just a a general statement I believe the LPGA does a much better job of enforcing the pace of play rules than the PGA does. But of course that has little to do with the NCAA and I am not sure what the pace of play rules are in an NCAA tournament. I did notice some of the girls did use push carts so that is allowed but doubt it has much to do with pace of play in any case.

Butch

Good to see that sportsmanship (anyone can appreciate good shots from any other player).

I was a bit disappointed to not see it from ALL the girls for any good shot.

But when that last putt didn't fall, I also would have liked to see Stackhouse go immediately to Davis FIRST - BEFORE celebrating with her team.  Davis was standing alone and ignored on the outskirts of the Stanford team pre-celebration trying hard to congratulate the other girl.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i got lucky to have monday and tuesday off, so i was able to watch almost all of the ladies golfing..

i didnt think the pace of play was that bad.. but i really was not paying attention to that..

i was surprised at how tough the greens seemed to play..  it was like someone was having a bad day and said FU girls, try making par on this hole lol..... cuz i seen some of the girls just miss and watch the ball just keep on going lol...

now i did not realize they allowed range finders to be used.... i've never used one, and dont plan on it..

And to see Stackhouse pull off that win, was crazy.. especially since she basically gave up on the one hole after sending her ball from one bunker to the next across the green..

now i did kind of feel bad for Hayley Davis of Baylor, when she missed what seemed to be a easy 3 footer... especially when the Stanford team erupted in cheers and everything, and then the camera cut's to Davis crying in the arms of one of her teammates..

but overall i did enjoy watching the ladies play golf

It is what it is

Good to see that sportsmanship (anyone can appreciate good shots from any other player).

I was a bit disappointed to not see it from ALL the girls for any good shot.

But when that last putt didn't fall, I also would have liked to see Stackhouse go immediately to Davis FIRST - BEFORE celebrating with her team.  Davis was standing alone and ignored on the outskirts of the Stanford team pre-celebration trying hard to congratulate the other girl.

True, but she is a 20-something kid in a huge moment - and she still did better than a Ryder Cup team I can recall. :8)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

True, but she is a 20-something kid in a huge moment - and she still did better than a Ryder Cup team I can recall.

yup

I think the example that keeps resonating with me was actually a (surprise!) Big Break.  Jerry Rice's teammate was playing another girl for elimination (if I remember it right).  The moment his teammate won it, Jerry saw the loser just feel crushed and the first thing he did was go straight to her and console her, before celebrating with his teammate.  Totally classy and I always hope to see it reflected in every tournament I watch.  Mostly I do to some extent, even if not as compelling.

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

True, but she is a 20-something kid in a huge moment - and she still did better than a Ryder Cup team I can recall.

yup

I think the example that keeps resonating with me was actually a (surprise!) Big Break.  Jerry Rice's teammate was playing another girl for elimination (if I remember it right).  The moment his teammate won it, Jerry saw the loser just feel crushed and the first thing he did was go straight to her and console her, before celebrating with his teammate.  Totally classy and I always hope to see it reflected in every tournament I watch.  Mostly I do to some extent, even if not as compelling.

Different personality, class, age, stake, ...   I saw Stackhouse's tournament ending behavior, too, and it raised my eyebrow.   But she's barely 20-something like turtleback mentioned, and it was probably the biggest golf moment hereto for her.   JR had a lot less at stake, and he had bigger sports moments before, and he's at least twice older than Stackhouse.   If Stackhouse makes it to bigger arena and keeps doing that, she will hear it from her fans, media, and opponents.

Let's see what the guys competition brings.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Interesting fact (falsehood actually :-P ) tying these two together:

Jerry's teammate you are referring to in that competition was Emily Talley, and the individual champion of the women's competition on Monday was Emma Talley.  I thought (erroneously as it turns out) that those two were sisters.  Nope.

Speaking of the individual competition ... the shot she made out of the fairway bunker on the last hole was clutch!

Note: This thread is 3254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!