IGNORED

Golf Channel Cuts 30 Jobs, Cancels Big Break

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Matt Every has had the most success.

Yeah and I think he was out after the first or second episode for that season.

Others of note, Tony Finau and Ryann O'Toole.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Gunther" url="/t/82304/golf-channel-cuts-30-jobs-cancels-big-break/30_30#post_1149925"] Matt Every has had the most success.[/QUOTE] Tony Finau is starting to gain some traction too.

Gerina Piller (spelling?) is noteworthy too. I still think Sadena Parks might rocket up the LPGA boards if she can realize her athletic potential. Rookie year on LPGA. Love watching them carry their own bags in NCAA finals. No carts like big break!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

That's the best show they have on that channel. Too bad.

I missed this one initially.    Really?   You prefer BB over live golf tournaments (PGA, Euro, LPGA, Champions, US amatuer, College, and others)?   Why?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[QUOTE name="vangator" url="/t/82304/golf-channel-cuts-30-jobs-cancels-big-break#post_1148488"] That's the best show they have on that channel. Too bad.[/QUOTE] I missed this one initially.    Really?   You prefer BB over live golf tournaments (PGA, Euro, LPGA, Champions, US amatuer, College, and others)?   Why?

I think he meant it's the best of their original programming.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'll miss Big Break but I think they might revive it to fill in during the slow times in golf.  I doubt we'll see the 2-3 seasons a year we had been but I wouldn't be shocked if they produced one per year which could improve the quality of competition and the overall show.

Joe Paradiso

Comparing Big Break to the NCAA Championship is a bit apples and oranges. College golf hasn't historically received much attention, but the Div. I Championship still qualifies as a big, coverage-worthy event that takes place at one particular time of the year. Big Break is a show that can be used to fill in the gaps at any point in the year. The better question is what would you rather watch six months from now, a new Big Break or a re-run of the NCAA tournament.

Exactly,  I have no interest at all in that show.   But then again I am in my 60's and it seem that it is geared towards the younger demographic.

Doug

I like BB.  I wish they'd focus more on the golf and less on the drama but, if they decide to get rid of anything, they should consider dumping School of Golf (I used to watch it but now it's very boring and uninformative, IMO).

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I enjoyed Big Break, and would DVR the series. Personally, other than their coverage of tournaments, I thought it was their best programming.

My wife and I have played a few of the Big Break courses:

- Sandals Emerald Reef Golf Club at Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas.

- IBEROSTAR Playa Paraiso Golf and Spa Resort in Riviera Maya

- Ka’anapali resort in Maui

Great courses, and lots of fun.

I sent an email to bigbreak@golfchannel.com to voice my concern, and am awaiting a reply.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

We are all going crazy with the Big Break cancellation but could all this be part of a larger problem in which the channel is losing viewers and a secondary effect of the general decrease in interest in golf, less players, courses closing etc. how many re runs of tournaments could you watch before you stop watching at all. I would suspect there are some serious financial issues

• Administrator

We are all going crazy with the Big Break cancellation but could all this be part

of a larger problem in which the channel is losing viewers and a secondary effect of the general decrease in interest in golf, less players, courses closing etc. how many re runs of tournaments could you watch before you stop watching at all.

I would suspect there are some serious financial issues

Did you read the first post? It included this:

Despite ratings numbers in 2015 that rank as the best in network history, the Golf Channel purged 30 jobs on Friday at the company’s home base in Orlando, mostly in the original programming department.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I saw it but........... Is it all true? Do companies jump at telling you that financially they are struggling or do they talk initially about re structuring, mergers, changes in management, consolidation, efficiency etc. I do not want to speculate... It just sounds unusual.........hope it works out for them

Hope Feherty doesn't take a hit, love that show. As much as I do enjoy Big Break, the Golf Channel really needs more live golf plain and simple. This will be a good thing.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

BB was good enough to watch but not as compelling as it had the potential to be,

Actual pro golf and the NCAAs stuff is the big win.

Feherty is a good show as interview shows are good insight.  Playing Lessons was a decent offering in this format too.

I can take or leave the crappy host shows if they are just talking at each other.  exception is bringing in pros for Interviews and stunts.  Otherwise it's totally wasted airtime for me.

I don't like the McLesson shows at all, frankly.  Horrible, ego driven drivel that will likely cause more damage to people's games than anything else.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!