Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm I'm the knockout stages of my clubs handicap championship and played today but we're rained off after 6 holes. Currently waiting for play to resume but my playing partner is a right pain with his mind games and little digs. I'm sitting 4 down after 6 which has left me raging. How can I get over this and go out to win? I'm currently thinking I want to ruin him but the more angry I get the worse I know I'll play.

Tell him, "Bite my a$$" and get mad at yourself and focus. If you don't come back, it wasn't meant to be. I wouldn't refer to him as "my playing partner" but as "my opponent".

Many high handicap matches will have huge swings in the match.

Very few holes are halved and many holes are won with bogey and even dbl. bogey.

Avoid penalties, keeping the ball on the short grass will give you a better chance to play better and possible

over take your opponent.

Anger never makes any situation better.

My match play theory is to make the best of each shot to tie every hole.

When I lose a hole, I grind a little harder.

Club Rat

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I'm I'm the knockout stages of my clubs handicap championship and played today but we're rained off after 6 holes. Currently waiting for play to resume but my playing partner is a right pain with his mind games and little digs. I'm sitting 4 down after 6 which has left me raging. How can I get over this and go out to win? I'm currently thinking I want to ruin him but the more angry I get the worse I know I'll play.

You won't win if you just want to win. You really need to focus on one shot at a time, that is your opponent's shots. You really need to be supportive and let him know you've got his back. By being right there on the practice swings. Make him feel there is someone watching him to make sure he's "comfortable". . .

You won't win if you just want to win. You really need to focus on one shot at a time, that is your opponent's shots. You really need to be supportive and let him know you've got his back. By being right there on the practice swings. Make him feel there is someone watching him to make sure he's "comfortable". . .

Do you mean get in his head?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Do you mean get in his head?

Just let him know you're ever so "supportive" of his great scores on the first 6 holes, and that you hope to "learn so much from him through careful observation" as he plays the remaining 12 holes. Focus on "one shot at a time". . .

Good luck with the rest of the match. :beer:

You're not out until it's over. The wonderful part about match play is that one bad hole doesn't ruin the rest of your match like it can in stroke play, each hole is a separate entity. If you lose a hole, just bounce back, hit some good shots, and win the next one! Hit one shot at a time and don't worry about the score of the match, you'll find that it tends to tip in your favor that way.

Would you agree with me that I'm out already at 4 down through 6?

No you are definitely not out of it. In our clubs match play last year, I found myself in the exact same scenario as you describe - down 4 through 6. I went on a mini-run to take the next 3 holes and all of a sudden we are making the turn and I'm only down 1. In match play, you get some crazy swings like that. Although I did end up losing the aforementioned match, I was in an equally dire situation 3 years ago - down 3 with 5 to play. I played some nice golf down the stretch to win holes 14, 17 and 18. In the extra holes, my opponent completely imploded, took 7 shots to reach the green and handed me the match. If your opponent is the type of guy that likes to play mind games, it's likely that he's also the type to get frustrated when the tides turn against him. If you can keep your composure and grind out a hole or two, you may be surprised to see his game fall apart.

Then again......

Sounds like you believe it. So yes.

This is a pretty good point too.

DAve, you say you're in match play. What's your opponents handicap?

you're down 4 after 6 holes......

what holes are you stroking on(holes 7 thru 18)...?

I play match play 80-90% of the time within 2 clubs that I play in, When I'm getting strokes, the holes that I'm getting them on I feel I MUST WIN THOSE HOLES, at worst a PUSH..

when I'm giving strokes, the holes that my opponent are receiving strokes, I feel I need to PUSH those holes , if I win those holes it's like a huge hole for me.

Match Play is like a chess game., You got to plan your match before you play, look at the course/holes and try to execute and ADAPT to the constant ebb and flow of the game....

you already lost this match if you feel as bad as you sound in your post. DESPAIR usually means DEFEAT......

last year i played quarter finals and my opponent did the same thing, trying to get to me, i'm pretty easy in these things and just don't hear what he is saying. I had a caddy that day he did to, we had a hole par 3 180 yards over water, i knew he always had one more club than i hit.

Told to my caddy i'm going to ask for a 7 iron but just give me 6. I hit the 6 iron on the green and he hit a 6 iron ( he trusted on my club selection ) in the water. if you want to get dirty this is a nice way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvk77 View Post

last year i played quarter finals and my opponent did the same thing, trying to get to me, i'm pretty easy in these things and just don't hear what he is saying. I had a caddy that day he did to, we had a hole par 3 180 yards over water, i knew he always had one more club than i hit.

Told to my caddy i'm going to ask for a 7 iron but just give me 6. I hit the 6 iron on the green and he hit a 6 iron ( he trusted on my club selection ) in the water. if you want to get dirty this is a nice way.

Yeah, but it also might be a breach of the rules. Decision 8-1/9:

Quote:

Q. A made a statement regarding his club selection which was purposely misleading and was obviously intended to be overheard by B, who had a similar shot. What is the ruling?

A. A was in breach of Rule 8-1 and lost the hole in match play or incurred a two-stroke penalty in stroke play

JUST LET YOUR GOLF DO THE TALKING!

Focus on the shots and finish him off.

I agree completely.  There's no better way to apply pressure in match play than to stay calm and hit solid shots.  Sure, you may have to gamble a bit more than normal because you're trailing, but only take smart gambles.  You can't win 4 holes at a time, all you can do is hit the fairway with your next drive.  Do that, and then hit the green.  Then you can win your first hole back.  Hit a few more fairways, apply the pressure.  Its one shot at a time, always a smart choice, always something you can feel comfortable with executing.  Your anger hurts you, but icy calm can un-nerve him.  I love playing against someone who's getting mad, or down on himself  Project confidence, smile, accept your good shots and bad shots equally.  And if he does win, shake his hand and wish him well in his next match.

Enjoy the match, enjoy the competition, enjoy challenging yourself.  Even if he wins the match, if you've enjoyed yourself you haven't really lost.

Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!