IGNORED

Things not to say to a playing partner. . .

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Well, the other day I just kind of blurted out that "I think my ball is getting a tan on one side."  Anyone else know what not so say from "experience"?

I took the topic, "Things not to say to a playing partner",  a little differently, like...

Who was that I saw your wife out with last night? -or-

Nice putt, Alice (on a putt that comes up short) -or-

The Texas Rules applies (on a drive that doesn't pass the ladies tee) -or-

Are you going to have to use the kids' college account (after they lose a big bet) -or-

I have an extra skirt in my bag (when they hit a short drive) -or-

Get out the scuba gear (on a shot that went into the water) -or-

Nice read on that putt (on a putt that breaks the opposite direction that you partner read) -or-

If I ever hit a shot like that, I'd put my clubs on eBay, and quit golf tomorrow

"You gonna hit that sumbitch, or just stand there and look at it?" (slow play)

"Does your husband golf also?" (for a putt left short)

"Does that driver come in a men's model too?" (for a short drive)

"Working on your dirt game today?" (when they hit into a desert area)

"Taxi!!!!" (when they hit a putt past the hole)

"Nice shirt, were the batteries included?" (when they show up in a loud-colored shirt)

(As a group:) "Shoooooorrrrrrrt shortshortshortshort!!!" (on a putt left short)

"Way to mow the lawn!" (for a worm burner)

"That one's gonna burn up on re-entry!" (for a pop-up driver)

"Daaaay-O!" (for a big 'banana ball' slice)

• Upvote 3

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess there's an element of humor intended as well. Those are all things "not" to say. . .:-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I guess there's an element of humor intended as well. Those are all things "not" to say. . .

All things I freely say amongst friends (and some much more off-color ones which I won't share) - but if playing with a stranger or even somebody I don't know real well, I'll keep it to the aforementioned "Nice ball" or "good par".  Not everybody is as thick-skinned or has the same warped sense of humor as our group. :-)

Mac

WITB:

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/82391/things-not-to-say-to-a-playing-partner/18#post_1150115"] I guess there's an element of humor intended as well. Those are all things "not" to say. . .:-D [/QUOTE] All things I freely say amongst friends (and some much more off-color ones which I won't share) - but if playing with a stranger or even somebody I don't know real well, I'll keep it to the aforementioned "Nice ball" or "good par".  Not everybody is as thick-skinned or has the same warped sense of humor as our group. :-)

So true. . . Some people can't even hold a normal conversation. I got partnered with someone who was upset when I mentioned the blue tees were right next to the white tee position. He told me "why do I even say that?", "Conversation over." They were like 11 yards apart. The course moved the white tees to the red tee position that day, but since the conversation was over, I didn't mention anything. :-\

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

With my regular group of friends, there's nothing that's off-limits, and we all know each other's buttons and how to push them.  With strangers, I'm always pretty civil, at least until I get a sense of their personality.

However, when I read the title of the post, my thoughts went to a partner in the sense of a four-ball match.  A good friend of mine used to have the habit, just as I was settling into my set-up for a shot, of saying "Just don't......"  Just don't hit it left, just miss the bunker, whatever the worst outcome could be, he'd leave me with the thought of avoiding it.  Which of course tends to focus my attention on just that thing.  I had a polite discussion with him about it, which included my threatening to punch him in the face if he EVER left me with a "just don't" as I was getting ready to hit a shot.  His black eye has faded now, its almost not noticable :-P

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If your playing partner was a friend, I wouldn't even think twice about it.  If he was a stranger...oh well, lesson learned and he'll get over it, nothing you can do now.

Amongst our group of friends, pretty much nothing is off limits.  We're downright brutal to each other, but everybody is okay with it and it's understood that it's all in fun.  On the rare occasions I play with strangers, I try not to comment on their shots/game much beyond "Nice ball", "Good par" or whatever, unless they show that they've got a sense of humor and enjoy a little banter.

this is good

we have no control over how people TAKE what we say.  so if I'm sincere and they take it wrong....it's not my problem.  (I'll still try to get a read and be considerate as best as I can tell about them, but some people are just looking for excuses to be grumpy - I'll stick with my fun friends.)

And, the OPs comment about slow play - I think it's a good one and I'd laugh and speed up if someone used it on me.  Nothing wrong with that comment at all.  It's much better than just someone being a dick about it.

Bill - 

I play about 75% of my rounds with a friend who is a +2 handicapper and will be playing college golf and I am one of those guys that tries to be encouraging and he will hit a shot and I'll be like go ball or I'll talk to his ball and he hates that. I have found to never talk to anyone's ball while it is in the air or still moving.

Early when I started playing the game two of my friends went to the local muni and got put with a single. It was my first time playing with someone I had never met previously.  We were on a par 3 and the gentlemen hit a gorgeous looking shot straight at the pin.  While in the air I stated something like "Get there.  Get close.  Looks good" or something like that.  The guy turns, after the shot lands less than 3 feet from the hole, and says "Don't do that.  Keep your mouth off my balls".  Of course, my inner 13 y/o started laughing and I couldn't stop for the entire hole.  Now whenever my  2 friends or I hit a nice shot and one of us says nice shot and the hitter almost always with keep your mouth off my balls in mock anger.

From then on, if I ever played with someone that I don't know, I keep almost any and all comments to myself.

Certainly the rules on what not to say are different when playing with your friends than with strangers.  But even with friends there are times when silence is the best policy if you want to keep the friend.  But usually with friends you know when it is OK to comment and maybe twist the knife some and when it isn't.

Butch

Early when I started playing the game two of my friends went to the local muni and got put with a single. It was my first time playing with someone I had never met previously.  We were on a par 3 and the gentlemen hit a gorgeous looking shot straight at the pin.  While in the air I stated something like "Get there.  Get close.  Looks good" or something like that.  The guy turns, after the shot lands less than 3 feet from the hole, and says "Don't do that.  Keep your mouth off my balls".  Of course, my inner 13 y/o started laughing and I couldn't stop for the entire hole.  Now whenever my  2 friends or I hit a nice shot and one of us says nice shot and the hitter almost always with keep your mouth off my balls in mock anger.

From then on, if I ever played with someone that I don't know, I keep almost any and all comments to myself.

Funny statements like that do have a way of becoming immortal, lol. :-) Once while playing in a scramble tournament, one of my friends hit an approach shot that was on the green, but not very close to the pin.  I was next up to hit and he turned to me and said "C'mon, get inside me!".  We all started laughing hysterically, and that statement has found it's way into many, many rounds since then - usually said in the most lascivious way possible.  Other friends who weren't there and aren't privy to the joke are a little taken aback the first time they hear one of us turn to the other and say "Come on now...get inside me!"

Mac

WITB:

The guy turns, after the shot lands less than 3 feet from the hole, and says "Don't do that.  Keep your mouth off my balls".  Of course, my inner 13 y/o started laughing and I couldn't stop for the entire hole.

1 - my outer 48 year old would have been laughing out loud - with pointing at that point - followed by a lot of mockery

2 - he sounds like an ass - shame on you for being a fan of a good shot.  This guy probably also calls it a "golf shot" and thinks it's neat to match his belt with his shoes...did he look like this?

3 - he also sounds like someone that doesn't think ahead about how he phrases stuff - :-P - good on you for turning it into something funny you can share with your friends

Bill - 

"You know, golf isn't for everyone."

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

"Oh, it looks good on you, though"

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

I say whatever I want to the other person. I'm not rude, so if they don't like a comment, I don't really care. It's a game...if you get butthurt over me saying "Nice Shot" then maybe you should find a different hobby.

With that said, my rounds are typically filled with Happy Gilmore quotes...for better or worse...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

"Oh, it looks good on you, though"

I did come with a free bowl of soup.....

I say whatever I want to the other person. I'm not rude, so if they don't like a comment, I don't really care. It's a game...if you get butthurt over me saying "Nice Shot" then maybe you should find a different hobby.

winner  ^

corrected LT Quote:

Tony Jacklin, paired with Trevino, said, "Lee, I don't want to talk today."

Trevino's retort: "I don't want you to talk. I just want you to listen."

Bill - 

That reminded me, I once suggested that a friend's golf problems could be solved with just one word........bowling.

Dave

Nice putt sally!!!!! (when they leave it way short)

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

"That's a nice shot.......a weird swing....but a nice shot"

Bill - 

"That's a nice shot.......a weird swing....but a nice shot"

"thats a nice shot....kind of like your sister, ugly but gets the job done"

Only said to the closest of playing partners, never strangers!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!