IGNORED

Things not to say to a playing partner. . .

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"That's a nice shot.......a weird swing....but a nice shot"

I've been replaying with my Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 for awhile and one of Feherty's lines goes something like that... "That's an excellent result...and with THAT swing?"

You probably could have driven that ball the same distance using a croquet mallet

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We were on a par 3 and the gentlemen hit a gorgeous looking shot straight at the pin.  While in the air I stated something like "Get there.  Get close.  Looks good" or something like that.  The guy turns, after the shot lands less than 3 feet from the hole, and says "Don't do that.  Keep your mouth off my balls".

It's amazing, but there really are people who don't like you talking to their ball. This is especially true on the green when you say, "Nice putt," or, "Get in the hole!",  just before the ball lips out. Somehow they feel if you wouldn't have said anything, the ball would have gone in the hole.

• Upvote 1

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I definitely say "nice ball" too soon on occasion.  Never had anyone take it poorly but I do feel like a dick when it starts peeling off right or come up short in a bunker.

Personally, I don't care what anyone says, EXCEPT anything along the lines of "you've got a good round going", "you're only X over, or you're X under", "if you just par out, you'll shoot X", or "just put the same swing on it you did last hole".

I know where I am.  I know you know where I am.  I don't need to hear that you know where am I because then I'll f*ing think about it.  Whenever I hear any of the above I hit a shitty shot.  Damn near 100% of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I say whatever I want to the other person. I'm not rude, so if they don't like a comment, I don't really care. It's a game...if you get butthurt over me saying "Nice Shot" then maybe you should find a different hobby.

That reminded me, I once suggested that a friend's golf problems could be solved with just one word........bowling.

I've been known to occasionally suggest that a friend's problem (or sometimes my own) is nothing more than LOFT.....Lack Of F :censored: ing Talent. :-D

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I played with a high capper that was struggling. He hit a shot on a long par 3 that was 10ft short of the green and I said, "nice ball!" He was happy and said, "Thanks". Then I miss hit my ball and It landed in the same place as his. I was kind of bummed and said, "crap! Right off the toe!" He said, "I though you said that was a good shot." Touche'
  • Upvote 2

To a slow golfer - you couldn't tell by looking at my face now, but I shaved before we started this round

• Upvote 2

To a slow golfer - you couldn't tell by looking at my face now, but I shaved before we started this round

What's wrong with saying that to a slow golfer?  Beats taking a sand wedge to him or her.

I played with a high capper that was struggling. He hit a shot on a long par 3 that was 10ft short of the green and I said, "nice ball!" He was happy and said, "Thanks". Then I miss hit my ball and It landed in the same place as his. I was kind of bummed and said, "crap! Right off the toe!" He said, "I though you said that was a good shot." Touche'

Lol!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

"No big deal bud. 17 more holes ahead of us."

"There you go! Seems like you are finally warmed up!"

Vishal S.

[quote name="HawkNballs" url="/t/82391/things-not-to-say-to-a-playing-partner/0_100#post_1151047"]I played with a high capper that was struggling. He hit a shot on a long par 3 that was 10ft short of the green and I said, "nice ball!" He was happy and said, "Thanks". Then I miss hit my ball and It landed in the same place as his. I was kind of bummed and said, "crap! Right off the toe!" He said, "I though you said that was a good shot." Touche'

Lol![/quote] LOL. So true in golf. It isn't always how you strike it, it is where it ends up.

To a golfer who constantly slices or hooks his drive into the woods - I hope you brought your tree wood

My buddy didn't have anything to write the scores down with and he said, "Do you have a pencil, Dick?" You don't see the comma when he speaks, so we were cracking up. Dick had no idea what was so funny.

My buddy didn't have anything to write the scores down with and he said, "Do you have a pencil, Dick?" You don't see the comma when he speaks, so we were cracking up. Dick had no idea what was so funny.

LOL. I can't tell you how many older gentleman I play with named Dick. It is really out of hand. I play mostly during the week and during the day.

Three weeks ago the wife and I were out playing nine before heading to a BBQ. I hit a great drive on a long right to left par five, decent 5 iron to get to 90 yards out, and I'm lining up with my sand wedge to be on the green in three (not a usual occurrence for me on a par five with a left turn).

Get my stance set, grip down just a bit, ball a bit back, ground the club behind the ball and my lovely wife says; "You don't think you're going to hit that too far?"

I just GLARED at her for a moment... Took my swing, hit the thing totally fat, and came up 10 feet short of the green. Skulled the chip, three putts, and walked away with a 7.

LOL. I can't tell you how many older gentleman I play with named Dick. It is really out of hand. I play mostly during the week and during the day.

He was definitely an older gentleman. ;)

He was definitely an older gentleman. ;)

The only thing worse than playing with a bunch of Dicks is playing with a bunch of old Dicks. :-$

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!