IGNORED

Lydia Ko Thread

georgedelnorte
Note: This thread is 1975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just me, or does the rest of the golf world see how Lydia Ko's change from teacher Guy Wilson (New Zealand) to Leadbetter has created a steady downfall of her game?

But, what else would you expect?  Look at the bizarre swing changes Leadbetter made to Michelle Wie's swing - she now ha a hip injury due to that crazy left hip forward move he most recently "taught" her.  Her game continues to go south.  That same tinkering with what was one of the best swings ever seen (Lydia's) is apparently to blame for Miss Ko's recent failures.

Someone has to get the message to Lydia ko that her future is in jeopardy if she continues on this same path.

I assume you're a fan of Kelvin Miyahira?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Come on, folks.   3 tournaments ago, Ko won.   Then she finished 41st and 16th.   For #1 ranked player to finish 41st or 16th is not a surprise.  Sure, it wasn't her usual top 10 finishes in the last two tournaments.   But the last two tournament results can't be qualified as steady downfall.   Let's give it a few more tournaments to call it a downfall and slamming Leadbetter for it.   For all we know, he may not be the reason behind the Ko's would be downfall (if it really happens).

That does make sense.

On the other hand she had 32 consecutive (including 4 international non LPGA rounds) under par rounds ending a few months ago.  Since then she's had 5 even or over par rounds out of the last 14 LPGA rounds.  32 and 0, followed by 9 and 5.  That really feels like something has changed.

Yes, but you know those things happen in golf.  32 consecutive under par rounds is an unusual event, not Ko's norm.   That's not going to be easily repeated even if Ko didn't change her coach.  While Ko is doing that, IB Park had something like 99 bogey free holes in a row broken a few tournaments ago.  That was also unusual.  Since then, Park has been getting bogeys in every round it seems.   And as far as I know, Park still has the same coach (and husband).    For all we know, Ko may be in a legit slump like any golfers go through.     I am not defending Leadbetter.  I am just saying, let's see what happens down the road before making a conclusion.     One only needs to see Rory, and other #1 ranked players in the past to see what Ko has done in the last two tournaments happen all the time.   It's not like she missed the cut (almost did in one tourney) like Rory, eh? ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yes, but you know those things happen in golf.  32 consecutive under par rounds is an unusual event, not Ko's norm.   That's not going to be easily repeated even if Ko didn't change her coach.

Lets not forget, the 32 under par rounds, the rookie of the year season, the World #1 ranking, the CME Group Championship win, those all occurred under Leadbetter. Do people really think she would have been better with her 2013 swing?

And it certainly looks to me like she is doing "the A swing".

https://youtu.be/cshL04ahMzY

1. She has the grip. Strong left hand, weak right hand. Both "Vs" pointing right of her right eye.

2. Right hand stays on top on the takeaway.

3. Right side stays very connected on backswing.

4. Comes across the line at the top, before dropping more inside.

5. Wrists turn over aggressively after contact.

I'm no expert on the A swing, but this all fits with everything I've seen on it.

As for Kelvin Miyahira's concern over the "flippy" release, I would point out the "flip" always occurs after contact. I don't agree that she's going to have any timing issues or inconsistency due to that.

The girl is now a Univ student so that does take some attention and dedication.  Edu to the Asians, and many others of course, is very important so she will strive to do well in the studies.

Guys like us, only dreaming of #1, #1, #1, perhaps do not appreciate the high level of confidence and ability to accept the game today that folks like LKo bring to the sport.  It's not like a contact sport where one clunk to the head, or knee, brings immediate end to the paychecks.

I predict LKo will end the year at World #1.

It seems like golfers rise to greater heights and then fall on the women's tour way more than on the men's tour.  Wasn't it just 5 minutes ago that the great phenom was Yani Tseng?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

It seems like golfers rise to greater heights and then fall on the women's tour way more than on the men's tour.  Wasn't it just 5 minutes ago that the great phenom was Yani Tseng?

Yani's sudden downfall (and Leadbetter has nothing to do with it) probably deserves a thread of its own.

Today, Ko poured in 3 birdies in the last 7 holes at the 2nd round of Manulife LPGA Classic to comfortably make the cut.  She seems to excel when under pressure.   No one can "unteach" that, Leadbetter or worse.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Yani's sudden downfall (and Leadbetter has nothing to do with it) probably deserves a thread of its own.

Today, Ko poured in 3 birdies in the last 7 holes at the 2nd round of Manulife LPGA Classic to comfortably make the cut.  She seems to excel when under pressure.   No one can "unteach" that, Leadbetter or worse.

Agree.  It goes to show that Golf is Hard !  It is even harder to stay on top.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I really don't like what Leadbetter teaches, but I think it's too early to really say he's screwing her up. Like @acerimusdux said above, all of those superduperstar things, like the 32 consecutive rounds under par or whatever, came under Leadbetter's instruction. And to be honest, from what I can tell, he's really cleaned up her footwork. She used to kick that back knee out like crazy, but she's doing that a lot less.

Yani was 2010ish, I believe. She's been off for a while.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

The girl is now a Univ student so that does take some attention and dedication.  Edu to the Asians, and many others of course, is very important so she will strive to do well in the studies.

It seems like those two quotes relate to each other.  Perhaps there is a difference between men and women in how obsessed they can become with something.

T27  Lydia Ko -10

1  Suzann Petterson -22

Course: 6613 yards

Par 72

In 2015, players got off to a hot start at the Whistle Bear Golf Club, the new site of the Manulife LPGA Classic where Cheyenne Woods, Cristie Kerr and P.K. Kongkraphan tied the competitive course record on day one with opening rounds of 63. Suzann Pettersen took advantage of the calm conditions on the links style course, finishing at 22-under par for the week to win by one for her 15th LPGA victory and first win in two years.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Case closed!  Ko misses cut in 2nd major. First cut missed - ever.  With Leadbetter's brilliant meddling (wants her to learn to hit a draw when her fade was winning everything), she now misses left - a lot!  And - her putting has disintegrated.

Wie and Ko will disappear if that guy continues to "make them better".  He just can't help himself - no one knows better how to make a perfect swing into a disaster.

Such a pity.

And - her wins after joining Leadbetter were probably due to the carryover teaching by her original coach.  Even Leadbetter can't ruin a golfer in a few short months.  But eventually, he works his magic...

I heard Shamglee this morning tearing into Ledbetter indirectly as to the issues with Wie and her swing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Case closed!  Ko misses cut in 2nd major. First cut missed - ever.  With Leadbetter's brilliant meddling (wants her to learn to hit a draw when her fade was winning everything), she now misses left - a lot!  And - her putting has disintegrated. Wie and Ko will disappear if that guy continues to "make them better".  He just can't help himself - no one knows better how to make a perfect swing into a disaster. Such a pity. And - her wins after joining Leadbetter were probably due to the carryover teaching by her original coach .  Even Leadbetter can't ruin a golfer in a few short months.  But eventually, he works his magic...

I have to agree. I think Leadbetter is not a good coach. I don't know why he's so popular with some of the pros. I hope someone in Ko's camp have a sense to say "enough" and have her go back to her previous coach.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Saw a brief DTL view of Ko's swing on TGC --- she appears to be incorporating some of Ledbetter's A Swing.

Result is first MC, and in a major.

Ko says this is not tired and is feeling fresh. It sounds like the coach is making an excuse for himself by saying Ko is tired. She slapped down that excuse.

Understanding that Ko's only real weakness appears distance- related, why change the swing fwhen she is #1 in the World? Why not only change driver setup? Tweak and monitor the swing.

The same with Wie - great talent foiled by coaching ... and same coach.

My opinion based on observation and human behavior is what happened last year is Ko saw Wie having success, finally, with Ledbetter. They are both of Korean heritage so you have a commonality that Ledbetter played on. Ko wants to move to US. Ledbetter points to Wie's recent success and tells her that he can find her more distance. But if you remember, even during Wie's major win, she had to put the driver away several times as she was inconsistent with it. Ledbetter must be a heckuva salesmen for all these people to buy what he is selling. Egotistical, too, to have the nerve to take the #1 player and overhaul her swing. Unless her swing was giving Ko physical problems... but Wie is the one with injuries ... just does not make sense. It only makes sense in terms of satisfying Ledbetter's ego.

• 2 months later...

I heard comments that she went back to a fade (her former stock shot?)  lately instead of the A type swing stock shot, which is a draw.

Watching her swing I saw nothing "A" about it, maybe (hopefully) she dumped it realizing if it ain't broke...

But maybe I didn't see it and she's just getting the hang of it, or never really adopted the A swing and just struggled like everyone does, but it sure seemed strange.

Watching her swing I saw nothing "A" about it, maybe (hopefully) she dumped it realizing if it ain't broke... But maybe I didn't see it and she's just getting the hang of it, or never really adopted the A swing and just struggled like everyone does, but it sure seemed strange.

She's much less 'A' swing now than she was before. She's taking the club back the same but not letting it get across the line as much.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 1975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!