IGNORED

Lydia Ko Thread

georgedelnorte
Note: This thread is 1969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Obviously. :-) But is the top ranked female player not named Lexi, Michelle… and a few others really worth more than the 70th ranked male? 100th? 120th? How low can you go?

31 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Agreed, but she ranks much higher in the LPGA than the men they have under contract do on the PGA Tour.  

I have to say that the selling point of Ko with PxG would be that men would notice that they have the #1 female golfer. I don't know that very many women care what brand their golf clubs are.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I have to say that the selling point of Ko with PxG would be that men would notice that they have the #1 female golfer. I don't know that very many women care what brand their golf clubs are.

From a marketing perspective it's better to be able to say #1 on the LPGA Tour compared to #40 on PGA Tour even though we know it's not really.  

Joe Paradiso

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

From a marketing perspective it's better to be able to say #1 on the LPGA Tour compared to #40 on PGA Tour even though we know it's not really.  

Just using google search results as a measure, I get more hits on "Lydia AND Ko AND Golf" than I do with the same type of search for any of  Hideki Matsuyama, Brooks Koepka, Brandt Snedeker, J.B Holmes, or Luis Oosthuuizen. 

I get less results than I do for Zach Johnson or Henrik Stenson, but the first is a multiple major winner, and the second has both a major and a Fed Ex Cup. 

So I think Lydia has pretty decent visability for marketing purposes. How much passionate debate would there be out there on the internet if Brooks Koepka changed his swing?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

:-) But is the top ranked female player not named Lexi, Michelle… and a few others really worth more than the 70th ranked male?

Could well be for the Asian equipment market.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
3 hours ago, acerimusdux said:

Just using google search results as a measure, I get more hits on "Lydia AND Ko AND Golf" than I do with the same type of search for any of  Hideki Matsuyama, Brooks Koepka, Brandt Snedeker, J.B Holmes, or Luis Oosthuuizen. 

I get less results than I do for Zach Johnson or Henrik Stenson, but the first is a multiple major winner, and the second has both a major and a Fed Ex Cup. 

So I think Lydia has pretty decent visability for marketing purposes. How much passionate debate would there be out there on the internet if Brooks Koepka changed his swing?  

That's not a terribly good way to assess that sort of stuff.

I agree that it could matter a bit more for the Asian market(s). From what I've heard they're less "macho" than we are here… :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

I agree that it could matter a bit more for the Asian market(s). From what I've heard they're less "macho" than we are here… :-P

I know you're kidding, but I was talking to the point that given the recent successes it may be women who drive initial growth (or sales) in the Asian golf equipment market for a bit. But I can't fathom how people choose brands based on spokespersons vs. the product itself so that may be off.

Don't tell the current President of the Philippines he isn't macho (or trying too hard).

https://www.tumblr.com/video/norewardisworththis/64845798933/500/

Kevin

Im a Callaway Homer. Its a bummer this is happening. PXG are probably really great clubs but the problem is ,they cost $8000. I have a pretty nice set of Callaways -$2800. Lydia Ko probably isnt gonna sell more clubs because of who she is IMO. The price is redonkulous !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I know you're kidding

I wasn't.

Not even a little bit.

Asian golfers, from what I can tell, and more importantly from what every major equipment manufacturer has told me, don't have the ego that golfers in the U.S. do. They realize they're closer in ability to an LPGA Tour player. They care more about what equipment an LPGA Tour player uses. They also tend to like more visible technology (almost to the point of it being "gaudy"), but that's not related to this…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wasn't.

Not even a little bit.

Asian golfers, from what I can tell, and more importantly from what every major equipment manufacturer has told me, don't have the ego that golfers in the U.S. do. They realize they're closer in ability to an LPGA Tour player. They care more about what equipment an LPGA Tour player uses. They also tend to like more visible technology (almost to the point of it being "gaudy"), but that's not related to this…

You're emoticon confused me. That's interesting.

Kevin

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wasn't.

Not even a little bit.

They are also accustomed to paying prices for clubs that are closer to the PXG pricing model.  

Joe Paradiso

Interesting. Wonder if she will go all PXG. The drivers and fairways are nothing special from what I've read and what a few clubmakers who sell PXG, Callaway and TM have mentioned to me. Big decision.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

They are also accustomed to paying prices for clubs that are closer to the PXG pricing model.  

Also true.

7 hours ago, Strat-Pack said:

Im a Callaway Homer. Its a bummer this is happening. PXG are probably really great clubs but the problem is ,they cost $8000. I have a pretty nice set of Callaways -$2800. Lydia Ko probably isnt gonna sell more clubs because of who she is IMO. The price is redonkulous !!

I don't follow, what is the bummer part  for you? That you can't afford PXG's ?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

11 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Wouldn't the PxG clubs have an even higher mark up over there?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

Wouldn't the PxG clubs have an even higher mark up over there?

It's not always that items are marked up overseas by the manufacturer, higher import tariffs and currency exchange is usually what inflates the prices.  

The off the shelf prices of PXG are not that far out of line with some of the more expensive Japanese club manufacturers. The ridiculously high PXG prices you see some quote are due to their fitters taking the customer through an extensive fitting process that results in PXG just shipping the heads the fitter ordering custom shafts and assembling the clubs for you in their store.  

Joe Paradiso

Lydia looking to take some serious time off:

I’m so excited for it,” she said, for a moment clearly an overburdened teenager. “Month off. Don’t touch my clubs. I think they are sick of me too.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/11/21/diaz-what-went-wrong-for-ko-can-she-get-it-back.html

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Well…

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well…

3 years already, the time goes fast.  I'm getting the impression that if Lydia is not staying at the top of the profession she is then going to make a change.

Note: This thread is 1969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!