IGNORED

What is your definition of slow play?

WatchOutLeft
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bit of a cop out in that first line. I clearly wasn't talking about the math. The minutes/shot idea doesn't work because...

1. Putting is pretty much equal time no matter the handicap

2. The lower handicap player needs more time/shot because he has to walk further to his ball. And a high handicapper doesn't even need 2minutes when he dribbles one ten feet in front of him or stubs a chip.

Both players are walking (or riding) from the tee box to the green. The only added distance for a low handicapper is however further back his tees are. That distance is probably made up by the amount offline that the higher handicapper is walking. I also find it easier to get to my ball quickly if I can see it on the fairway from the tee or on the green from the fairway instead of finding it in the rough.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm never going to say I'm wrong. ;-) Difference of opinions.

High handicappers who play from the tips or who hit 200 yard drives and then wait for the green to clear from 290 out.

I've never been quite guilty of that from 290. I do hate when I'm 230 from a green with people on it though. I can get my 3 wood there if I hit it really well but I'm much more likely to screw it up and hit 190. Nothing like the group behind you watching you wait for a green to clear and coming up 40 yards short. I'd still rather have the group behind me be a little perturbed with me than hit someone when they're putting, and if I went for it with people on the green that would undoubtedly be the one in 10 shot I got it there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

High handicappers who play from the tips or who hit 200 yard drives and then wait for the green to clear from 290 out.

I've never been quite guilty of that from 290. I do hate when I'm 230 from a green with people on it though. I can get my 3 wood there if I hit it really well but I'm much more likely to screw it up and hit 190. Nothing like the group behind you watching you wait for a green to clear and coming up 40 yards short. I'd still rather have the group behind me be a little perturbed with me than hit someone when they're putting, and if I went for it with people on the green that would undoubtedly be the one in 10 shot I got it there.

That's a good way to be guaranteed to hit the best shot of your life, though - 250 to the pin with people on the green, your 3-wood goes 230 if you hit it on the screws, so you figure "I'll hit, no way I'll reach them".  Almost guaranteed you'll hit that 3W better than you've ever hit it in your life and land it right on top of that group putting out.  No thanks, I'll wait and suffer the wrath of the group behind if necessary.  Which means my window of opportunity has passed me by and I'll end up hitting it 175 yards after they clear the green. :-)

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The other reason to wait is that the people on the green don't know if you can reach it or not. I've been in a group accused of "hitting into us" when it was just a layup.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

There really is not a clear definition for slow play because it happens in so many different ways.  You can put a time definition of 4 hours but I think 3.5 hours is adequate. Some people think over 3 hours is too long.   I have been in the trenches many times on courses that are very slow and had playing partners who helped contribute to it.  There are dozen of ways it happens, but I have 2 that most often happen (non-tournament conditions).

1. Look for balls too long.

2. Not playing ready golf.

If you are a hacker have a rule that you have 1 minute to find a ball or drop.  Better players can take another minute or two because their pace of play should be faster than the hacker who shoots over 100.

Forget etiquette and just hit when ready. Instead of sitting in the cart waiting for your partner to hit just get out, take some clubs, walk to your ball, and hit when ready.  While on the greens walk around to read your line while others are putting or chipping to the green and be ready to putt when its your turn. Stay off the cell phone and be ready to hit.  Quit trying to give your buddy, spouse, girlfriend, etc. lessons at the tee box.  Quit thinking the course is the range where you can hit several balls off the tee box or fairways.

Just those two things would greatly speed up play.  I have seen too many times folks look for balls for over 5 minutes, groups with novice or just plain bad golfers trying to hit every shot perfect, playing strict etiquette rules, etc.  Its nonsense.  You are not a tour pro.  You are not a good golfer and are not going to be on a highlight reel on ESPN or the Gold Channel.  Just drop and hit.  Enjoy the time out there but do not take yourself or your golf game too seriously.

From my observations two things seem to contribute the most to slow play. Crowded tee times and slow players.... I have not seen any kind or direct correlation between handicap/skill and pace of play. Ive seen some hacks that flew from hole to hole. And low single digit cappers that were agonizingly slow. I just see people that make a effort to be efficient with there time and people who dont. Simple as that

There is a happy medium here. There is a two-some I often hook up with that plays 18 in around 2 hours. It is so dang fast, I often don't play that well and this shows up quite a bit around the greens. At my home course, I generally play in 3 hours by myself and 3:30 with a four some. This is a pretty good pace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

Bit of a cop out in that first line. I clearly wasn't talking about the math. The minutes/shot idea doesn't work because...

2. The lower handicap player needs more time/shot because he has to walk further to his ball. And a high handicapper doesn't even need 2minutes when he dribbles one ten feet in front of him or stubs a chip.

Both players are walking (or riding) from the tee box to the green. The only added distance for a low handicapper is however further back his tees are. That distance is probably made up by the amount offline that the higher handicapper is walking. I also find it easier to get to my ball quickly if I can see it on the fairway from the tee or on the green from the fairway instead of finding it in the rough.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm never going to say I'm wrong.  Difference of opinions.

Not sure I'd consider that a healthy attitude.

There is a happy medium here. There is a two-some I often hook up with that plays 18 in around 2 hours. It is so dang fast, I often don't play that well and this shows up quite a bit around the greens.

At my home course, I generally play in 3 hours by myself and 3:30 with a four some. This is a pretty good pace.

3:30 is pretty good for a foursome. But if you take 3hrs when alone I would think you'd be the limiting factor a foursome doing it in 3:30. Or perhaps you hit a few extra shots and practice putts after holing out when alone?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Pretty simple answer. Playing slower than those folks who want you to play faster. It's just part of the current golf game, and will never be fixed, unless the current way golf is played is drastically changed to the point it's no longer golf.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOutLeft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvySwede View Post

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm never going to say I'm wrong. ;-) Difference of opinions.

Not sure I'd consider that a healthy attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerdahl View Post

There is a happy medium here. There is a two-some I often hook up with that plays 18 in around 2 hours. It is so dang fast, I often don't play that well and this shows up quite a bit around the greens.

At my home course, I generally play in 3 hours by myself and 3:30 with a four some. This is a pretty good pace.

3:30 is pretty good for a foursome. But if you take 3hrs when alone I would think you'd be the limiting factor a foursome doing it in 3:30. Or perhaps you hit a few extra shots and practice putts after holing out when alone?

Honestly, I like to take my time and enjoy it. By myself, I look at both sides of the putt, laser in all my shots, take a lot more time over chips, etc... When, I'm in a foursome, I still take my time, but I do a lot of the same things while others play their shots. Now, I can play fast. I've played by myself in under 2 hours. I just didn't find it that enjoyable.

I got into a conversation regarding a round that my son and his friend did last week, which started when I said that pushing a cart is much faster than carrying while he argued for carrying. We both played the 6000 yard course last week, and he stated that his round was just under 3 hours and that it was slow because they had to wait for a foursome in front of them. Whereas, my round was so early there was no one blocking me until the 10th hole (they let people on the back), but the group let me pass on the par 3 hole for a total round time of 2:45.

Needlessly stated, both were pretty decent round times for walking. My average time is a hair over 3:00 on the 6000 yard and the 7200 yard courses. I generally walk pretty fast to my approach shot and now that I am hitting fairway or first cut more often it's just walking without a search and/or wait for another fairway to clear.

Well, both of these kids drive 300 yards with great regularity and average something like 280-290 yards generally on the fairway. My guess is their long wait was for a 200 yard drive from 4 people in front of them then their approach shots before teeing off. The course is short so 300+ yard drives (they both drove well that day with some outliers in the 330 yard range and would almost reach the greens). They would not only need to wait for the tee shots, but also for some of the approach shots and/or the greens to clear.

I can imagine this being a really painful experience for kids used to playing with other high school varsity players who move relatively quickly and all hit roughly the same distances. The 3 hour pace was pretty fast, and yet he and his teammate's perception was that the pace of play was unbearably slow. Slow pace is really a matter of perception, and we should all remember that when playing behind others.

The lesson learned is to look at your watch, and not the wait you need to endure.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There is such a misnomer between walking=slow. It is all about the caliber of player. I walk during the winter to stay warm and can walk in 3:15 or so. This is about 15 mins slower than a cart and is simply a by product of my short legs and fitness level. As my fitness picks up this summer, I suspect this winter will be different. I say it is on the caliber of player since I've seen plenty of cart golfers take over 5 hours and walkers play under 3. The difference is how well the player plays and that is the biggest determining factor. Hitting a fairway and then GIR is much faster than smacking it 6 times before getting on the green!
  • Upvote 1

There is such a misnomer between walking=slow. It is all about the caliber of player. I walk during the winter to stay warm and can walk in 3:15 or so. This is about 15 mins slower than a cart and is simply a by product of my short legs and fitness level. As my fitness picks up this summer, I suspect this winter will be different.

I say it is on the caliber of player since I've seen plenty of cart golfers take over 5 hours and walkers play under 3. The difference is how well the player plays and that is the biggest determining factor. Hitting a fairway and then GIR is much faster than smacking it 6 times before getting on the green!

Agreed.  I walked Wilshire CC in LA on Friday (6500 yards) in a threesome and finished in 3:45.

That's a good way to be guaranteed to hit the best shot of your life, though - 250 to the pin with people on the green, your 3-wood goes 230 if you hit it on the screws, so you figure "I'll hit, no way I'll reach them".  Almost guaranteed you'll hit that 3W better than you've ever hit it in your life and land it right on top of that group putting out.  No thanks, I'll wait and suffer the wrath of the group behind if necessary.  Which means my window of opportunity has passed me by and I'll end up hitting it 175 yards after they clear the green.

Totally.  I've definitely seen it from 290 (just f*ing ridiculous), but for me the "yellow light" zone is 240-250.  Of course, if I wait, I'm guaranteed to miss the green.  Last time I had this distance was after a bad tee shot on a par 5.  Had a good lie, but the green was probably 240+ and somewhat elevated.  Figured a decently hit 3w would get me 10 yards short of the green.  Of course I absolutely flush it, and it lands ON the green with the foursome very much still there.  Never a fun walk/ride to go apologize.

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!