IGNORED

What is your definition of slow play?

WatchOutLeft
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday the wife and I went out to play in the afternoon at the local course we are members of (muni). We were teeing off and I noticed that no one was on 10 and as we drove in I didn't see anyone on 11. When we got to the first green (short par 4 and we are walking), I see a group on 9 tee. As we walked toward the second tee I noticed that there were groups on all the holes (8 back to 6) that I could see. We followed a twosome who was moving along pretty good. I told my wife that the group on 9 tee was probably playing slow and we would eventually all back up to them. We played the front 9 in an hour and a half (1:35) and got to the 10th tee and waited 20 minutes to hit our shots. We walked off the course on 13 because it had already taken an hour and a half to play four holes. I know everyone on the board has a slow play story but I can tell you this, I think (based on my experience) that it's getting worse. We went into the grill and had a couple of beverages and a little food, watched some golf and by the time we got to our car in the parking lot, the twosome that was ahead of us was in 18 fairway (about 2.5 hours to play the back). If the golf course is not going to do anything about it, there really is nothing that can be done. We saw the slow group on number 12 (while we were on 5) and I watched them chip balls over the green into the trap on the other side and make two or three swings to get out of the trap. Once you get to double or triple bogey, PICK IT UP. Stay behind the group in front of you. Play "ready golf". Don't watch every person in your foursome hit before you get out of the cart, get your club, make five practice swings, and top it 50 yards.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was out on the course a few weeks ago and a dad and son were ahead of me. The son would hit maybe 30 drives while the dad coached him until he hit a good one. I had to wait for this at the tee off for 3 holes before they finally let me pass. Its fine if you want to do stuff like that but NEVER hold someone else up because of it.

I don't think it's 'fine' at all.  Dad should take the son to the driving range for this.

1 - better for Dad and the boy and likely more enjoyable

2 - cheaper

3 - better for the rest of the people playing

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

I don't think it's 'fine' at all.  Dad should take the son to the driving range for this.

2 - cheaper

I agree. I don't mind taking an extra shot once in a while.

It is better served if the kid learned that not all shots are going to be good and he has to suck it up and play the next shot.

Keep the volume hitting to the range. Scratch the volume part, follow this tread

:)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

[QUOTE name="logo" url="/t/82423/what-is-your-definition-of-slow-play/90#post_1152121"]   I was out on the course a few weeks ago and a dad and son were ahead of me. The son would hit maybe 30 drives while the dad coached him until he hit a good one. I had to wait for this at the tee off for 3 holes before they finally let me pass. Its fine if you want to do stuff like that but NEVER hold someone else up because of it. [/QUOTE] I don't think it's 'fine' at all.  Dad should take the son to the driving range for this. 1 - better for Dad and the boy and likely more enjoyable 2 - cheaper 3 - better for the rest of the people playing

Agree. If they do that type of thing it should not be when there are other people on the course. It probably took another ten minutes to collect all the balls too! [quote name="Bucki1968" url="/t/82423/what-is-your-definition-of-slow-play/126#post_1154844"]Yesterday the wife and I went out to play in the afternoon at the local course we are members of (muni). We were teeing off and I noticed that no one was on 10 and as we drove in I didn't see anyone on 11. When we got to the first green (short par 4 and we are walking), I see a group on 9 tee. As we walked toward the second tee I noticed that there were groups on all the holes (8 back to 6) that I could see. We followed a twosome who was moving along pretty good. I told my wife that the group on 9 tee was probably playing slow and we would eventually all back up to them. We played the front 9 in an hour and a half (1:35) and got to the 10th tee and waited 20 minutes to hit our shots. We walked off the course on 13 because it had already taken an hour and a half to play four holes. I know everyone on the board has a slow play story but I can tell you this, I think (based on my experience) that it's getting worse. We went into the grill and had a couple of beverages and a little food, watched some golf and by the time we got to our car in the parking lot, the twosome that was ahead of us was in 18 fairway (about 2.5 hours to play the back). If the golf course is not going to do anything about it, there really is nothing that can be done. We saw the slow group on number 12 (while we were on 5) and I watched them chip balls over the green into the trap on the other side and make two or three swings to get out of the trap. Once you get to double or triple bogey, PICK IT UP. Stay behind the group in front of you. Play "ready golf". Don't watch every person in your foursome hit before you get out of the cart, get your club, make five practice swings, and top it 50 yards. [/quote] This type of behavior really gets to me too. I just don't understand why?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by logo

I was out on the course a few weeks ago and a dad and son were ahead of me. The son would hit maybe 30 drives while the dad coached him until he hit a good one. I had to wait for this at the tee off for 3 holes before they finally let me pass. Its fine if you want to do stuff like that but NEVER hold someone else up because of it.

2 - cheaper

Lessons of this sort don't belong on the golf course, ever.  You use the range and chipping area to practice swing techniques and hit as many balls as you like, you use the course to practice playing strategy and course management, one ball and one shot at a time.  Nobody should be hitting multiple shots from the same place on the course.  Not only does that take time, but then they have to retrieve all of those balls are scattered all over the hole.

The pros at my old course offer playing lessons, but they schedule them only in the afternoon in the middle of the week when the course is at its emptiest.  Even then, what they do is to discuss the shot before it's played, to analyze what shot should be tried and why.  They they hit that shot, and discuss the pluses and minuses as they drive to the ball.  Then they start on the next shot.  It sounds slow, but the reality is that they play only slightly slower than a normal round, and since there is only one ball being played, it really takes very little time to play each shot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I guess the reason slow play does not bother me is because I am an older dude who does not wear a watch. I have not worn one for the past 10 years since my retirement. Unless I have a family shin dig, and/or an important appointment scheduled, what time it is, is of no consequence to me. I prefer not to play 5, and 6 hour rounds, but it happens sometimes.

I walked/played yesterday in a pretty good wind storm. The course was not busy, and I played the 18 holes in just under 4 hours......I think. There were two local youngsters walking with me. I was able to keep up with them with no problem. All of us shot around 8 over par.

I can understand the importance of time in one's life. I did the busy business schedule scenario for 30+ years. Then again it was just a few years ago the ER doctors were wearing out a hospital crash cart on me, keeping me alive. I now know the importance of life, and not being in a hurry to complete that part of one's the journey. Being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, for a split second almost robbed me of some damn fine family get togethers.  Those roses smell pretty good.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I guess the reason slow play does not bother me is because I am an older dude who does not wear a watch. I have not worn one for the past 10 years since my retirement. Unless I have a family shin dig, and/or an important appointment scheduled, what time it is, is of no consequence to me. I prefer not to play 5, and 6 hour rounds, but it happens sometimes.

I walked/played yesterday in a pretty good wind storm. The course was not busy, and I played the 18 holes in just under 4 hours......I think. There were two local youngsters walking with me. I was able to keep up with them with no problem. All of us shot around 8 over par.

I can understand the importance of time in one's life. I did the busy business schedule scenario for 30+ years. Then again it was just a few years ago the ER doctors were wearing out a hospital crash cart on me, keeping me alive. I now know the importance of life, and not being in a hurry to complete that part of one's the journey. Being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, for a split second almost robbed me of some damn fine family get togethers.  Those roses smell pretty good.

I've been retired for 8 years, but that didn't make time stop for me.  I still have appointments to keep, be it doctor, dentist, lunch dates, tee times, etc.  - the rest of the world doesn't stop, and I abhor being late to any sort of appointment.  I could no more live without a watch than I could without a car.

That said, I don't live by the clock - I use it make my life easier.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

When a course is well and truly dead. You are out there alone and you know it. Go ahead a hit an extra ball from a spot. Never under other circumstances.

Personally, it can be really beneficial for me when I'm working on my short game. There is a par-3 I play often and when it's empty, I'll hit a couple of pitch shots. Sometimes I'll hit a SW and then a PW from the same spot. It's a part of the game that I have trouble duplicating on the range.

One thing about being able to play at my own pace, which is pretty fast by any measure, is that when I finish up my 18 under 2 hours I just don't feel like I got my money's worth. It's strange though, because if I have to constantly wait then I'm annoyed and typically play worse. If I play fast I want to play more, if the play is slow then I don't.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My biggest problem with slow play is not the annoyance, even though that really blows, and it's not the time, because I love being out there and usually open up my day just for golf, my real beef is how it affects my game, playing golf well is all about energy, you need to be rested and ready to explode through the ball, without that energy you simply will not play well.

I've run into a lot of slow play lately and my game has just fallen apart, especially in this heat, I'm a walker and when 9 holes takes 3 hours its a given I'm going to start stinking, the game is hard enough...

So today my definition of slow play is crappy golf, nobody is playing well under slow conditions.

When you're not keeping up to the group in front of you. If they've already teed off and you haven't reach your green, you need to pick it up a bit because that gap will only widen as the round goes on. ...

That's the basic rule for the monthly amateur series I play in.

In the big picture, courses could lessen slow play if they could identify bottleneck holes where groups get bogged down. Then, courses could put  a spotter on these holes to watch where golf shots go; this would speed up play. Often, these holes have blind shots where a ball not landing in the fairway can be tough to find.

At my home course, we have two bottleneck holes: No. 4 is a par 4 stovepipe dogleg (turns right then left) with a blind landing area, with trouble short, long, left and right. This is the place where things can get slow.

No. 15, a straightaway par 5, has a trap-bordered hazard along the right - balls in shaggy traps hard to find - and an OB along the left. And, after about 2 PM, the left half of the landing area is in severe shade. You lose sight of the ball before it lands - and something just two feet off the fairway can take 5 minutes to find.

Once upon a time, golfers had caddies - or at least cart runners - who could go ahead and watch for drives and approach shots. But, we don't have these any more.

TST techies... how close is golfdom to getting chip-embedded balls that a tracker can find? I envision combo tracker-rangefinder devices.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

TST techies... how close is golfdom to getting chip-embedded balls that a tracker can find? I envision combo tracker-rangefinder devices.

The future is NOW!

http://www.rf-golf.com/home.htm

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

My friends say I play too fast. I line up the shot and swing. Hopefully, it goes in the right direction. A couple of the ladies I play with will stand on the green to continue a story they are talking about...drives me crazy, especially when people are waiting and it is hot as hades out. I say, come on ladies lets move, there are folks behind us, and they still continue their talk. I have seen players who stroll to and from their shots, slower than the turtle. HAHAHA. But when the alternative is no one to play with, I'll keep the slow pokes and keep nagging them to move.

As a part of slow play what bothers me is when the group ahead of me parks the cart either in front of the green or beside the green instead of behind the green. If they parked behind the green then I could hit right time the green cleared. I believe that would speed things up for everybody on the course.

My friends say I play too fast. I line up the shot and swing. Hopefully, it goes in the right direction. A couple of the ladies I play with will stand on the green to continue a story they are talking about...drives me crazy, especially when people are waiting and it is hot as hades out. I say, come on ladies lets move, there are folks behind us, and they still continue their talk. I have seen players who stroll to and from their shots, slower than the turtle. HAHAHA. But when the alternative is no one to play with, I'll keep the slow pokes and keep nagging them to move.

Sounds like it's time for a "shot across the bow".

• Upvote 1

My friends say I play too fast. I line up the shot and swing. Hopefully, it goes in the right direction. A couple of the ladies I play with will stand on the green to continue a story they are talking about...drives me crazy, especially when people are waiting and it is hot as hades out. I say, come on ladies lets move, there are folks behind us, and they still continue their talk.

You might just gently put your hands around their backs and lightly guide them off the green. . .

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I thought I used to deal with slow play well.  There were times that I'd play tournament rounds that would take 4:45 or so... and I'd say it was slow, but I didn't know slow until I started playing tournaments down here in North Carolina.

I've played in 8 tournaments since February and the pace is horrible.  The FASTEST round I've played was 5:15... and the slowest was 6:10.

Now... I play in the C Flight, and a LOT of guys spend the maximum amount of time allowed looking for their balls.  I'm in the habit of getting a line on my ball... and if I can't locate it within 1 minute, I go to my provisional.  But, there are guys who will hit the ball into the trees 5+ times a round and spend 5 minutes each time looking for that ball.

I am pretty meticulous when it comes to practice swings.  I'll almost always take 1... and sometimes 2, but it's usually while someone else is preparing to hit.  Around the greens... I'll usually take a few more to get a feel for the lie (find out if the grass is sticky, etc)... but, I'm still fairly quick.

I also don't do much in terms of reading putts.  I have 2 bad knees and I can't really crouch to read greens like I used to, so... my routine is to stand behind the mark (when possible) and read from there while others are putting, and then I put the ball down with the alignment line at my target.  I take 1 practice putt swing and then I step up, put my putter behind the ball with my right hand, put my left hand on my grip and putt.  I've seen others that walk the green like a PGA Tour player... do the 'halfway on the line' practice swing... get behind the ball again... put it down and align it... step back and crouch again... realign the ball... remove the mark... stand behind the ball and take 2-3 practice putt swings... walk up to the ball... align their feet... take 3 more practice putt swings... place the putter behind the ball... readjust their grip... then finally swing.

I've played with a handful of guys in B Flight so far and they tend to be much faster players.  Even when they read the greens, they do it while others are putting... and they're ready to go within 30 seconds of someone making their swing or putting out.  That's usually my goal.  I want to be ready when it's my turn.  I'll always try to be near my ball prior to my turn, unless I'm on a similar path to the hole as someone else.  I will NOT stand in front of someone unless there is a tree or something to hide behind.  I've had too many close calls.

When I play alone, I tend to play 9 holes... and with nobody in front of me, I can usually get around in 75 minutes or less, even carding 50+.

So... I define slow play as someone who isn't ready when it's their turn, or someone who spends an extraordinary amount of time looking for lost balls throughout the round.  I've learned, quickly, that if you're forced to look for more than 3 lost balls throughout a round, even in C Flight... you're already out of the running... and more times than not, finding a ball in deep woods will result in more strokes because you're gonna take an unplayable and/or fail to advance the ball to your provisional in most cases.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Slow play is not being ready when it is your turn to hit

When I do ride, I ride with the shortest hitter, when he stops I grab two clubs & walk to my ball - not wait until he hits, drive to my ball & choose a club

If I need a different club, he can drive to me, I grab the club & hit as I already know the shot I want

We've proven that 4 walkers are faster than 4 riders

Knowing your distance & how far you hit the ball - not how far I want to hit the ball

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!