IGNORED

What is your definition of slow play?

WatchOutLeft
Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like to move quickly around the golf course but I don't get real upset if I have to wait some and the round is still going to be complete in about 4 hours say on a Saturday or Sunday.  I play with a lot of guys who play fast.  A couple of them...well let's just say I have had words with.  I don't like people in my group (we normally use carts) getting up ahead of me to the point where I need to become concerned about hitting a bad shot and hit one of them.  This is discourteous IMHO.

The slow play people that get on my nerves are the guys who are never ready when it is their turn to play. Then take forever to put their glove back on, pull a club, look at the yardage, pull another club, fumble for a tee and ball then go thru their normal routine.  I would be ok with them doing all this if they if they did not wait to start until it was their turn to hit the ball.  And, if they have to hit a 2nd ball...they never/ever have on in their pocket.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Slow play is not being ready when it is your turn to hit

When I do ride, I ride with the shortest hitter, when he stops I grab two clubs & walk to my ball - not wait until he hits, drive to my ball & choose a club

If I need a different club, he can drive to me, I grab the club & hit as I already know the shot I want

We've proven that 4 walkers are faster than 4 riders

Knowing your distance & how far you hit the ball - not how far I want to hit the ball

If you think you've proven that, then you haven't matched against riders who know what they are doing. :doh:

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is just a silly thing to say. Sorry, but it really is. Anyone who truly believes this is crazy.

Depends upon the rider and walker I guess.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Today I walked a 7200 yard course behind a threesome on the front and a foursome on the back. A fairly full tee sheet as the home course had TWO tourneys and the overflow of regulars tended to migrate over here. Was fortunate to get on as a single, but would be just as happy to have been joined to a group. Waited on nearly every shot, but that is to be expected as a single.

Finished in 3 hours and 40 minutes... no complaints, in my mind that was about right considering. Though the group in front seemed to dawdle a bit, they still came in 50 minutes ahead of allotted time on this course. Never felt like there was a need to play through, or to let the 4 behind come by (I was generally off the green before they were on the tee).

I might have played at 4 hours if there was no one behind or in front, which would be my typical pace on this course as a foursome. I would consider more than 4:30 slow on a weekday, but pretty typical on the weekend here.

A good healthy walk and a decent score (for me) on a pretty tough and long course! :roll:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

If everyone had their own Segway... play would be fast. I actually saw a guy with one last weekend. He had a side attachment for his bag. I love walking, but that would be cool.

I want one of these...

I could probably play 18 in under 2 hours by myself with this.

A ridiculous generalization. [quote name="Fourputt" url="/t/82423/what-is-your-definition-of-slow-play/144#post_1155577"] If you think you've proven that, then you haven't matched against riders who know what they are doing. :doh: [/quote] Yup.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Great question.

I think that anything over 4 hours for an 18 hole round is too slow. Does that mean that any group that takes over 4 hours should be penalized or reprimanded by the staff? No...I think we all have bad days and there are times when rounds take longer, so we shouldn't rear up on our hind legs every time things slow down a little.

But it should be unusual for an 18 hole round to take over 4 hours.

It should take about 3.5 hours at least 80% of the time I think.

Regarding slow play, I think alot of the wasted time is just guys standing around waiting to have someone else putt, chit chatting before someone tees off, etc. Everyone should know _who's turn it is_ and you just step up there and hit the shot when it's your turn.  Everyone should be able to feel unrushed regarding their shot routine, reading putts, and so forth, so in order to do that you stop f-ing around between and before shots. Practice swings.....no more than one please.....be ready to move quickly to the next tee or toward your next shot and don't be standing around.....Know the rules and hit provisionals when your ball might be lost.....drop sooner rather than later in the search.....when you are at the point of your ESC limit, just pick up, carry the pom poms and cheer on the rest of your group.

In other words, do everything as fast as you can between the shots, so that you can take all the time you need with the shot.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I play every weekend.....usually one day two of us walk, with caddies, while 2 ride. The other day, it's two carts. The time of the rounds tends to be the same, about 3:30 to 3:45 for the round. Sometimes under 3:30 if everyone is playing well.  This is on a small country club, lots of hills, slope 134, 6400-ish from the whites, ~ 6680 from the tees most men play, 6850 tips.

I think walkers and riders play at about the same pace....but to be honest I suppose you'd have to time the rounds to see.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/124939/] [/URL]

What is he looking for exactly؟

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

What is he looking for exactly؟

I m not sure. If I was a Pro waiting for Camillo, I wouldn't be bother by but a couple of years ago there was a guy on Sunday Comps doing so after a couple of minutes of walking around  his putting line.

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

As a part of slow play what bothers me is when the group ahead of me parks the cart either in front of the green or beside the green instead of behind the green. If they parked behind the green then I could hit right time the green cleared. I believe that would speed things up for everybody on the course.

This only works if the next hole is behind the green your playing on. If the next whole is to the right, what good does it do to park behind the green and then have to go in another direction?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

[QUOTE name="HawkNballs" url="/t/82423/what-is-your-definition-of-slow-play/144#post_1155594"] If everyone had their own Segway... play would be fast. I actually saw a guy with one last weekend. He had a side attachment for his bag. I love walking, but that would be cool.[/QUOTE] I want one of these... I could probably play 18 in under 2 hours by myself with this.

The skate carts have evolved pretty nicely from where they started a few years ago. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Today I played in a twosome. After just about every shot I hit, I'd look back and see the twosome behind us was waiting. Not long - often five or ten seconds only - before I'd clear out and they could hit.

We played 18 holes in 2:50. 2:50 does not meet my definition of slow play. :)

Did I mention it was cart path only? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A few days ago I walked 9 holes solo.  There was 2 guys in front of me in a cart, playing the black tees.  I waited on several holes while watching them search through the rough trying to find a ball and they both took forever on every green.  I'm not real sure on the etiquette in that situation.  Is it on me to approach them and request they let me play through or should they have noticed I was waiting on them on pretty much every hole?  There was an older couple behind me that was held up as well.  More than once, I was waiting at the tee box while the guys ahead searched for a ball.  The older couple behind me, who were also walking, met me at the tee and waited for me to tee off.

I haven't really encountered these situations much since I've only played for the last 2 years.  Very irritating though.  I think I'll go back to playing in the afternoon when I have the course to myself and can walk 18 in 3 hours.

Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!