Sign in to follow this  
imsys0042

Titleist 913F 3-wood vs. 4-wood

Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 5709 viewsLast Reply

I've been doing some thinking about best distances on my home course and having trouble selecting a 3-wood vs. a 4-wood as my second wood.   My thinking is that a 4-wood will be easier to hit off the fairway, but I am concerned with the distance off the tee.

The specs on the 3-wood:

Loft: 16.5 (bumped up from 15)

Length: 43 inches

Lie:  +0.75 upright

Head size:  160 cc

4-wood:

Loft:  16.25 (bumped down from 17)

Length:  42.5 inches

Head size:  140 cc

What I'm trying to determine is whether the slightly stronger loft, but 1/2 shorter length and 20cc less in the head will work out to be within 10 yards distance difference between the clubs.   There are several tee shots where a significant difference between distances would force me using the 3-wood.   Of course, I am going to be trying this out this week, but was wondering if people in a similar situation or knowledge-able about clubs would give their opinion or experience.

Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The lengths and lofts you have indicated are not significant enough for a noticeable difference in distance. Only a Tour player could swing consistent enough to get reliable data. You would probably be better of with the shorter shaft of the 4 wood to get better contact.

The lengths and lofts you have indicated are not significant enough for a noticeable difference in distance. Only a Tour player could swing consistent enough to get reliable data. You would probably be better of with the shorter shaft of the 4 wood to get better contact.

Thanks!   I definitely don't hit like a tour player.

Part of the answer is how you come into the ball at impact.

At a demo day a couple of years ago, the Tour Edge rep had players hitting both the 3W and 4W of that year's Exotics model. He had multiple shafts for each.

Most of us average golfers did better with a 4W. AND... some of the big hitters (flew a driver 270 or more) found they also could hit a 4W farther than a 3W. It depended in part on how they came into the ball on downswing.

Note: Golf Digest has reported on tests of fairway woods in which the average golfers hit the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. (Those with higher clubhead speed have a better chance of making the 3W a go.)

I've been doing some thinking about best distances on my home course and having trouble selecting a 3-wood vs. a 4-wood as my second wood.   My thinking is that a 4-wood will be easier to hit off the fairway, but I am concerned with the distance off the tee.

The specs on the 3-wood:

Loft: 16.5 (bumped up from 15)

Length: 43 inches

Head size:  160 cc

4-wood:

Loft:  16.25 (bumped down from 17)

Length:  42.5 inches

Head size:  140 cc

They're basically the same club so "on paper" the larger head would be easier to hit.

Part of the answer is how you come into the ball at impact.

At a demo day a couple of years ago, the Tour Edge rep had players hitting both the 3W and 4W of that year's Exotics model. He had multiple shafts for each.

Most of us average golfers did better with a 4W. AND... some of the big hitters (flew a driver 270 or more) found they also could hit a 4W farther than a 3W. It depended in part on how they came into the ball on downswing.

Note: Golf Digest has reported on tests of fairway woods in which the average golfers hit the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. (Those with higher clubhead speed have a better chance of making the 3W a go.)

I'm concerned more with launching the ball off the tee.   I agree with all of this about doing better with a 4-wood.   My 3-wood is harder to connect solid and hit full distance from the fairway and that's why I want it in the bag.   I don't want the 1 or 2 out of 10 percentage with a 3-wood where I would have gotten better with the 4W off the deck.

However, under more optimal conditions like a tee, I'd like to get a feel for whether the 4W works.   That report sounds good to me.   My driver carry is up to 260-270 when I connect and that happens at least a couple of times per round.  An off shot for me will still carry 225-230 in the air (I have a GPS distance measurer on my cart and use it to check my ball mark in the fairway).   If it's close enough, or heck I didn't even think it might go further, then it's a huge win.   I have several holes where 3-wood is what I almost have to hit to be in the right position on the hole.

This.

In irons its about 4* and a half inch to equal 10 yards. The two clubs you mentioned should produce virtually identical distance on the average for most of us, with the slightly shorter shaft on the 4 giving more consistent control, and the slightly more compact head more versatility.

This.

In irons its about 4* and a half inch to equal 10 yards. The two clubs you mentioned should produce virtually identical distance on the average for most of us, with the slightly shorter shaft on the 4 giving more consistent control, and the slightly more compact head more versatility.

that sounds very good to me!   I should have done this earlier this year.   I am playing tomorrow and swapped the 3W out for the 4W already.   Thanks!

All in all I'd say that swapping the 4 wood for the 3 wood was a good move.   Distance wise I think it's roughly the same.   I'd say if I really hit on flush that it might go less than the 3W, but it's long enough for what I need.

Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!