IGNORED

Major Championships

Alex B
Note: This thread is 3667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What Major Championship Would You Most Like to Win?

• The Masters (on CBS)
    • The US Open (if you're not already dead)
    • The Open Championship (it deserves to be called by its proper title)
    • The PGA Championship (anyone who selects this is an idiot)

I agree with the above posts actually. I typed before I thought about it. The Open is the truest test for sure. I was being biased because the US Open is in my home country. However the US Open is no slouch either. I would still want to win the US Open first.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I'd go with the British Open. Like the US, it's truly 'Open' - anyone can have a go, so long as they have a handicap of four or less.
Or even more, as that recently-deceased character who tried so hard - and under so many aliases everyone lost count - to make it. Best score in qualifying: 93, I believe.

I would have to say the U.S. Open due to the level of difficulty, each U.S. Open Course brings.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

PGA Champ. is probably considered by most the "worst" major if their is such a thing.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

All four are major championships, and none should be taken any more lightly than the others. Sure, I'd rather win the U.S. Open because I'm an American, but I'd take a PGA Championship, British Open, or Masters victory as well.

So in answering the question, none of the four are more major than the others. When calculating majors at the end of a career, they all count as one.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8256

Not trying to be mean, and I understand that this thread is quite old (and likely tough to find in search), but just sayin'...

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

The Masters.

The Masters is to golf as:

The Kentucky Derby is to horse racing,
The America's Cup is to yacht raching,
The World Cup is to football (soccer),
The Olympics is to track and field.

The Masters is a unique event that essentially stands alone in the golf world.

A sprinter that has won tons of championships (and set world records), but never won an Olympic gold medal will never be included in the list of great spinters simply because he never won an Olympic gold medal.

A golfer can win every championship out there, but if he never wins The Masters, he will never be included on the list of great golfers.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

British Open. IMO, thats the biggest championship in all of golf because that part of the world is the home of golf, so there is more prestige in winning that championship.
Also, because its links golf. IMO, links golf has an added level of difficulty.
Winning The Open Championship at St. Andrews, I cant imagine it could get any better than that...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

U.S. Open.

Then the Masters.

Then the British.

Then the PGA.

Everyone wants to win their National Championship.
The Masters is kind of overated.
The British is great, but boring when the sun is shining.
The PGA is meh.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

All four are major championships, and none should be taken any more lightly than the others. Sure, I'd rather win the U.S. Open because I'm an American, but I'd take a PGA Championship, British Open, or Masters victory as well.

Hitting the nail on the head right there!!

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

The Masters
US Open
Open Championship
PGA

They occur in the order of their importance.

Sometimes I think The Players is more important than the PGA. If Tiger had played Sawgrass this year and then skipped the PGA, I would say it was for sure.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Which major is more major...??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Four individual championships - one in purpose; hence, the Majors! But, in order of importance:

The Open
US Open
Masters
PGA

If you are a golfer and ever get to play the Scottish courses you eventually come to the conclusion that The Open is the most major of majors. The US and other countries around the world have adopted the game and, although there are some crack'in golf courses here in the states and other parts of the world the links courses of Scotland, IMHO, are the true test of golf.

The US Open is the next. Since its beginning it has highlighted some of the best courses in America and, rightfully, has earned the next major major to The Open.

The Masters is held at the same course every year. Augusta National will forever be the gift of Bobby Jones to golfing's elite. It is the course to test the best that given Master's week. It is the next major major.

The PGA Championship is the least of the major majors... What can I say? What started out as a true PGA Championship has morphed into a respectable championship for the games best + a couple two-three club pros.

My question is which tournament could possibily replace the PGA as a better major?
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

A sprinter that has won tons of championships (and set world records), but never won an Olympic gold medal will never be included in the list of great spinters simply because he never won an Olympic gold medal.

Ben Hogan said 'I'll never be counted among the greats if I don't win this thing'.

He was talking about the British Open. Played: one. Won: one. Job done. Alternative Tour event? USPGA. Given the choice, he put the Open above the USPGA. Cheers, Ben. Ye're the man.

i wanted to pos-rep that but it seems I've been sycophantic enough!

Hmmm, I thought I might have been a bit obsequious about The Open. However, once you have played those links courses it sheds a whole new respect for the game. Cheers!

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Ben Hogan said 'I'll never be counted among the greats if I don't win this thing'.

Amen to that. All of the majors are important, but IMO winning The Open is the crown jewel.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

My question is which tournament could possibily replace the PGA as a better major?

The Players Championship has long been referred to as the fifth major . . .

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Note: This thread is 3667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!