IGNORED

Major Championships

Alex B
Note: This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What Major Championship Would You Most Like to Win?

• The Masters (on CBS)
    • The US Open (if you're not already dead)
    • The Open Championship (it deserves to be called by its proper title)
    • The PGA Championship (anyone who selects this is an idiot)

The Players Championship has long been referred to as the fifth major . . .

I'd like to see it move around more, rather than stick to one course. Then, to me, the TPC will be the 4th major.

It's not unknown for the pack to be shuffled. The Western Open used to be the '4th Major'. It was replaced by The MAsters. The key was Gene Sarazen's albatross (double-eagle) on 15 in 193X (1934? I'm probably wrong). That was 'the shot that echoed round the world' and it embedded The Masters in legend. Which was a shame for Tommy Armour, who won the Western in 1930 ( the year Jones won the Grand Slam) and was the first pro golfer to achieve the career Grand Slam.

1. US Open. it's open to qualified golfers.
2. PGA it's open to qualified Pros.
3. Tournament Players got to qualify
4. British Open played on a field with no trees
5. Master's is like other invitationals. those who don't get invited make a good field for another pga tournament.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

This isn't the question, but I can best answer by stating which major I would want to win if I could only win one. The Open at the Old Course.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

A golfer can win every championship out there, but if he never wins The Masters, he will never be included on the list of great golfers.

So Harry Vardon (7 majors), Walter Hagen (11 majors), Bob Jones (13 majors including amateur events), and Lee Trevino (6 majors) weren't great golfers? Wow. News to me.

Personally, I'd go with this order: 1. Open 2. US Open 3. PGA 4. Masters As someone already said, the Masters is an invitational. The course is becoming a joke, the field is the weakest of the four, and all the "traditions" and "history" of the place are overrated.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

The Open Championship
US Open
Masters
PGA

The Masters used to be my favourite tournament, however, thats when Sunday meant Eagles, Birdies and charges from back in the field. Its just not the same any more!

1. US Open. it's open to qualified golfers.

Ehh what on earth are you piping on about.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I would like the Masters or the British Open.

Regards!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Personally, I'd go with this order:

I might Have US Open and PGA on a level field thought but THE Open way ahead and the Masters way behind

in my exterme sport bag :
Driver : SQ 460 9.5* Aldila NV65R
3 Wood: Ignite 15* graphite R shaft
2 Hybrid : 3DX DC 17*
3h-PW: Ignite with uniflex stock shaftWedges: Vokey 256.14 260.08Putters: Studio Style Newport 2 35", Red X-3 35" 350g, Solestamp Newport TeI3Balls: NXT Tour Shoes SP-8

Ben Hogan said 'I'll never be counted among the greats if I don't win this thing'.

Ben is the man. Nevertheless, I must question the veracity of some other assertions in this post.

Hogan never really wanted to play in the Open Championship before 1953. That year, in fact, several other prominent golfers, including friend Jimmy Demaret, had to beg him to compete in the Open; he handed in his entry form just a few hours before the deadline. So I don't think he ever would have said: "I'll never be counted among the greats if I don't win this thing." Maybe in retrospect, after he had won the title, he asserted that all great golfer win the Open or something, but not before his victory (as was implied by the "I'll" and "if" in the quotation). Furthermore, Hogan never played in the PGA Championship from 1948 until 1960 (when the event had switched to a stroke-play format). I believe that his damaged body could not withstand the grueling 36-hole days of match play. So, he probably wasn't choosing the Open over the PGA. Anyway, this is way OT, but oh well. Source: James Dodson, Ben Hogan: An American Life

What's in my bag:

4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Ben is the man. Nevertheless, I must question the veracity of some other assertions in this post.

I'll check the reference out but you're probably right - can't remember exactly where I got my quote from.

Yes, he did play only one and I believe he wasn't impressed with the prizemoney (you may be able to correct me!). But it is interesting that the only time the PGA was scheduled against the British Open, that was the year he played the Open. For that, we owe home a debt of gratitude - so does the world of golf, IMHO.

us open # 1, british open i won't even consider until they have green and not brown grass

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

us open # 1, british open i won't even consider until they have green and not brown grass

I guess you can't have watched since the 2006 Open at Royal Liverpool (which isn't in Liverpool - we do that sort of thing for fun!). It was very sunny and not much rainfall that year; it wasn't sunny at Carnoustie last year and the first three days at Birkdale this year weren't even on nodding acquaintance with the sun - as some posters to these pages have noted...

the greens were lush and verdant. Unless something you had consumed had affected your colour perception...

I guess you can't have watched since the 2006 Open at Royal Liverpool (which isn't in Liverpool - we do that sort of thing for fun!). It was very sunny and not much rainfall that year; it wasn't sunny at Carnoustie last year and the first three days at Birkdale this year weren't even on nodding acquaintance with the sun - as some posters to these pages have noted...

The greens were indeed green for 71 holes at the 2006 Open... until the 72nd green turned purple (

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/briti...ory?id=2527860 ). Yeah, and you're right, part of what makes the Open so unique for American fans is the brown greens, unpredictable weather, links layouts, and other things not normally seen here in the States.

What's in my bag:

The greens were indeed green for 71 holes at the 2006 Open... until the 72nd green turned purple .

Thank goodness someone else noticed! I thought it was a flashback...

• 5 years later...
Time to revive an old thread in honor of this week. The Masters for me. The opportunity to be part of this extraordinary week for the rest of my life trumps all other options! Edited to fix my poor punctuation. Thanks Barney!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

U.S. Open for me. Masters second, British third, PGA last. So not really breaking the mold with those picks.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The opportunity to be part of this extraordinary week for the rest of my life trumps all other options?

Ron Bur-gun-dy???? Is that you?? :beer:

And, actually, now that you mention the lifetime thing, I'm tempted to say Masters first as well ... but my gut has always been the same as @jamo 's (there's a joke in there somewhere) so I say:

US Open

Masters

British Open

PGA Championship

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!