IGNORED

My Swing (Sandhills Golfer)

Sandhills Golfer

It is going to take time to correct what you have used for years. The drill below can be done without a club. You can practice the feeling anywhere. When you go to the range, work on the drill that Erik posted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did try moving my hips once years ago to accomplish the same thing. But, I gave up on it quickly as it felt strange.

Feeling "strange" is good, means you're doing something different, you're changing the picture. Welcome the uncomfortable/different feeling.

With a lot of reps and practicing properly, the new feeling starts to become normal.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Feeling "strange" is good, means you're doing something different, you're changing the picture. Welcome the uncomfortable/different feeling.

With a lot of reps and practicing properly, the new feeling starts to become normal.

Agreed, Mvac. It's already feeling better! Also, I am loving, less sway!

Agreed, Mvac. It's already feeling better! Also, I am loving, less sway!

Just keep making sure it feels different and check it by filming.

Generally if it starts feeling "normal" soon you're falling back into old habits.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do it so I am speaking from experience-Demonstrate your gratitude by spelling the name of the dude the right way.

You are not asking me but I say turn them both and do not worry about moving one or the other.-They will both turn.

Phil and Erik. Just wanted to report back by saying thanks. I broke 90 for the first time in 10+ years. The main thought was the turn and turning both the shoulders and hips together in the backswing. It wasn't perfect. But, my ball striking allowed me to score well. Now, if I can get rid of a few chunked chips and 3 irons, I will be in good shape. SG

• Administrator

Phil and Erik. Just wanted to report back by saying thanks. I broke 90 for the first time in 10+ years. The main thought was the turn and turning both the shoulders and hips together in the backswing. It wasn't perfect. But, my ball striking allowed me to score well. Now, if I can get rid of a few chunked chips and 3 irons, I will be in good shape. SG

3-irons? :)

Congrats! So glad to hear this! Great job. You're welcome, but you're the guy taking all the shots and putting in all the work. Great job!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Can someone help with my flying elbow-baseball swing? On the backswing, my right forearm points to the target line. It is as if it is a baseball backswing, this stands the club up vertical. I've had two frozen shoulders years ago, which limits my backswing. I can not get into the waiters position at the top. 

Working at a slower speed with an impact bag should help a lot.  Working without a ball helps a lot too.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

4 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Can someone help with my flying elbow-baseball swing? On the backswing, my right forearm points to the target line. It is as if it is a baseball backswing, this stands the club up vertical. I've had two frozen shoulders years ago, which limits my backswing. I can not get into the waiters position at the top. 

Moved your post to your swing thread.

Are you making sure you turn and not just lift your arms?

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/82571-my-swing-sandhills-golfe/#comment-754264

2 hours ago, vangator said:

Working at a slower speed with an impact bag should help a lot.  Working without a ball helps a lot too.

He's talking about the backswing i think but yes agree, definitely practice at slower speeds.

Mike McLoughlin

(edited)
1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Moved your post to your swing thread.

Are you making sure you turn and not just lift your arms?

He's talking about the backswing i think but yes agree, definitely practice at slower speeds.

I could always turn more. But, just swing back without a club, I can not get into a proper position with my right arm/elbow. Maybe, it is time to address this lack of range of motion in my shoulder?

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

3 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

I could always turn more. But, just swing back without a club, I can not get into a proper position with my right arm/elbow. Maybe, it is time to address this lack of range of motion in my shoulder?

Maybe. There are a lot of good players that have a "flying" trail elbow. As long as you make a good pivot and don't flex the trail arm more than 90 degrees, you should be ok.

Mike McLoughlin

(edited)
On 11/8/2015, 2:39:10, mvmac said:

Maybe. There are a lot of good players that have a "flying" trail elbow. As long as you make a good pivot and don't flex the trail arm more than 90 degrees, you should be ok.

I agree. Jack, Freddie and Carl Petterson to name a few. But, yesterday, I realized. My right arm only turns to 45 degree and my left arm - even less. I have had two frozen shoulders years ago. Obviously, I need to get back to my exercises. In the meantime, any suggestions. Do I take half swings both ways? I look pretty good, when I take a 1/4-1/2 back swing. But, it is hard to generate power. Appreciate it!!

4 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Obviously, I need to get back to my exercises. In the meantime, any suggestions. Do I take half swings both ways?

Yeah if you had frozen should it would probability be a good idea to work on that mobility. Just from seeing your swing a few times I'd suggest you keep feeling like you make a big turn.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yeah if you had frozen should it would probability be a good idea to work on that mobility. Just from seeing your swing a few times I'd suggest you keep feeling like you make a big turn.

Thanks, Mvmac. It's probably both. Good call. I still need to turn. 

• 4 months later...
(edited)
On 9/7/2015 at 6:51 PM, iacas said:

3-irons? :)

Congrats! So glad to hear this! Great job. You're welcome, but you're the guy taking all the shots and putting in all the work. Great job!

I kept tinkering for a few months and finally settled into turning with both my shoulders/hips together on the backswing at the same time for the last three months and I am always shooting between 87-90, previously it was 95+. Still a high handicapper, But, the game is a lot more fun. Just wanted to drop you a thank you note. Cheers Tanner

PS - I have to also give credit to the Chrome Soft ball. I never thought a ball can make a difference. But, it stops on the green on approach shots, especially 50 yards and in. For two holes I used a Q Star and the ball rolled off the green. 

• Administrator

Keep it up, and post some updated videos here soon. If the turn is improved, perhaps it's time for something else?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/23/2015 at 3:19 PM, iacas said:

You just lift your arms up without turning. That's why you have to bend your arms so much to feel you've completed your backswing.

362519a6_AnalyzrImageExport.jpeg

Spot on here dude work on this stuff